Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:29 PM

499 posts, read 586,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Not saying all renters are bad, but
in my experiences, the worst neighbors have been renters.
Well, the times are changing! Lots of people ended up upside down in their mortgages and outright lost their homes due to the economy. Some people have to rent until they can get their credit and finances in order. Also, there are people who are relocating to a new area and want to rent for awhile to get a feel for where they want to buy. We recently relocated from the northeast to Florida and we are renting until we find a place we want to buy. I keep the house that we are currently renting in immaculate, pristine condition. After all, it is my home (for now), we are living here with all of our belongings, and I do want to get my full security deposit back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 12:06 AM

743 posts, read 766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Well, the times are changing! Lots of people ended up upside down in their mortgages and outright lost their homes due to the economy. Some people have to rent until they can get their credit and finances in order. Also, there are people who are relocating to a new area and want to rent for awhile to get a feel for where they want to buy. We recently relocated from the northeast to Florida and we are renting until we find a place we want to buy. I keep the house that we are currently renting in immaculate, pristine condition. After all, it is my home (for now), we are living here with all of our belongings, and I do want to get my full security deposit back.
You're the exception to the rule.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
You're the exception to the rule.
Any time someone points out these stereotypes, they're the "exception". No. I have a friend who owned a rental house in a college town. She said it didn't matter who rented it, undergrads, grads, townies, men, women, couples, families, you could never tell from that how they would keep up the house.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:46 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
Any time a rental property has constant bad renters, the problem is with the landlord. A good landlord will show that he cares for the property himself and wants to rent to people who will care for it as well. A bad landlord will just sit back and collect rent from whoever will pay it.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:55 PM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Any time a rental property has constant bad renters, the problem is with the landlord. A good landlord will show that he cares for the property himself and wants to rent to people who will care for it as well. A bad landlord will just sit back and collect rent from whoever will pay it.
That's very true! We just moved from one rental to another b/c we really wanted a pool. Some of the homes for rent were in such deplorable condition. You could tell that the landlord simply did not care. Some of these were expensive homes in nice areas, but just totally beat to crap. The home we just moved into is absolutely immaculate. The owner's wife passed away recently from cancer and he didn't want to sell it, but he didn't want to live in it alone either. He interviewed us in person and we hit it off with him immediately. He is a really, really nice gentleman and an all around great guy. And the house is in such pristine condition, my husband and I can't help but to keep spotlessly clean and immaculate as well.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:07 PM

168 posts, read 256,437 times
In the case of the OP, if the parents don't care put up fence. Buy security cameras that record if they continue to be a problem. We have a set of neighbors from hell. Their kids do whatever they want on our property. They swear at us, use obscene gestures, refuse to leave, vandalize things. Their parents are just as bad and have done some of the vandalism. They also encourage their kids to do this crap.

They let their large dog run loose and he was damaging the privacy fence between the back yards. Advice we received from animal control, the police and a lawyer is to fence the property, buy security cameras that can record evidence and try to keep records or evidence of what they do. This is all worst case scenario when you are dealing with true neighbors from hell. The lawyer suggested we file a restraining order against them and their kids if all else fails and to bring all that evidence to court. The more the better the chance of winning.

One of their kids was hanging over the 6 foot privacy fence banging on it with a stick and screaming for 30 minutes while I was in a phone meeting for work in my office (I work at home). I took a picture with my phone out my office window as proof this happened. It came in handy when having to convince code enforcement that them building playground equipment right next to the fence that allowed their kids to see into our yard was a bad idea. Their kid was climbing on the yet to be assembled play set. The city has set back rules.

It is so bad that we can't be outside in front of our house between 4pm and 9pm week nights or pretty much any time during the day. So front fence is my summer project.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:49 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
I'm not proud of this, but:

When we were kids, we had a neighbor that hated kids, didn't even want us riding our bikes on the sidewalk in front of her house.

On a hot day, we threw ice cubes across the street onto her lawn. She thought they were rocks and called the police. When the cops showed up, they couldn't find anything.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:13 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I'm not proud of this, but:

When we were kids, we had a neighbor that hated kids, didn't even want us riding our bikes on the sidewalk in front of her house.

On a hot day, we threw ice cubes across the street onto her lawn. She thought they were rocks and called the police. When the cops showed up, they couldn't find anything.
Not proud? That is freaking genius! Whoever thought that up should be incredibly proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting