Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:24 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
I'm picturing lawn up to the curb (no sidewalk) and the kid just passing through within the right of way.
What "right of way" would that be? The only one I can think of where there is no sidewalk is the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:40 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I'm new in the neighborhood so I told this kid oh no not on my yard or in my yard ...the other neighbors are renters and don't give a crap about their yards . I'm sorry I own this place and I will be da*med if I will let lil rowdys ruin my yard just because their parents don't own a home or yard . My mother used to say you teach people how to treat you and your things guess I'm going to have to teach these neighbors some boundaries where my home is concerned . Do parents not teach their kids respect for their neighbors ? plus my husband is out working on the car and has it on a jack , what if the kid had run into the car and hurt my husband ? I can tell you those people don't have a dime to pay my husbands injuries caused because their kid does not know boundaries and respect .

The kids will just laugh because they accomplished their goal, pushed you to getting over-the-moon mad !!!!!

And no parents do not teach their kids respect if they have none for themselves.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:45 PM

847 posts, read 1,457,172 times
If you have told the kids not to do it and they continue, then you need to talk to the parents. If the parents don't like it, then oh well.

I don't have this problem in my current neighborhood, but we had a problem with kids in our yard at one of my old residences. Similar to what someone else said earlier, one set of kids tried to tell us that our neighbor behind us said that they could play there. We found out that the neighbor did say that, but that was when our home was still vacant. We had to let them know that they are not welcome in our yard. We didn't have a problem with that set of kids after that.

Some kids are very fortunate because back home it was common to be threatened or even have dogs let loose on you just for going near someone's yard.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:38 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I like the idea of a fence. Prefer a block wall to anything else. In our area you can build up to a 42" tall wall in the front but 50% of it has to be open at the front, meaning you can see thru it into the yard. Most just install wrought iron between the block wall risers. On the sides you can build a solid wall up to the 42" height measured from the end of the home or in the case if the next door neighbors home extends past your home you can build a 6' fence up to the end of either structure. For example our home is shaped like an L. The next door neighbors home extends past our home closer to the street by about 15 feet. We can build a 6' fence up to the end of their home and then the remainder would have to be at the 42" or shorter height. Add in an electric gate where the cars enter and you are secure.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:29 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
What "right of way" would that be? The only one I can think of where there is no sidewalk is the street.
Public right-of-way is the public property area of the yard, usually where the water meters, utility poles, etc. are. Mostly close to the street.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
I can not even believe that some people are saying "it's not a big deal" (I don't care if kids are on my lawn so I assume that everyone else should feel the same way) and "I have never told my children that it is wrong to ride their bikes on the neighbor's lawns" (implying that it was OK for them to do that) and "neighbors are not mind readers" (implying that unless you tell them that you don't want their children on your lawns and on your driveway it is OK).

When I was a child (OMG, do I sound old!) it was standard procedure to tell your children to stay off of your neighbors lawn, and out of their garden and flower beds. If fact, you did not even have to tell your children that because it was "common knowledge" at least where I grew up. And, if your neighbors had fruit trees you did not just go on their property eat their fruit (or pick huge bags of fruit to take home for your family).

Heck, my parent's home has been vacant since my father died about 15 years ago and, every year, we still have neighbors call us and ask permission to harvest the fruit from his (now, our) apple orchard. They know that it is private property and you do not go on private property to take things that do not belong to you (such as fruit).

And, that is what my husband and I taught our children.

Now, it was completely different if your neighbor said "please play on my lawn, I love kids!" or " It is fine to cut diagonally across my garden instead of staying on the sidewalk. I know that it super far to walk" or " I love neighborhood teenagers playing basketball on my driveway instead of on the driveway of their parents house" or "please ride your bike across my lawn & flowers as I really did not like them anyway" or similar things.

Every summer there is thread after thread after thread about people being harassed and bothered by neighborhood children playing on their front lawns, bouncing balls off of their houses, running through their gardens & flower beds, deliberately damaging landscaping, and the children and their parents do not seem to care about the rights of their neighbors.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-12-2016 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 04:52 PM

743 posts, read 765,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I can not even believe that some people are saying "it's not a big deal" (I don't care if kids are on my lawn so I assume that everyone else should feel the same way) and "I have never told my children that it is wrong to ride their bikes on the neighbor's lawns" (implying that it was OK for them to do that) and "neighbors are not mind readers" (implying that unless you tell them that you don't want their children on your lawns and on your driveway it is OK).

When I was a child (OMG, do I sound old!) it was standard procedure to tell your children to stay off of your neighbors lawn, and out of their garden and flower beds. If fact, you did not even have to tell your children that because it was "common knowledge" at least where I grew up. And, if your neighbors had fruit trees you did not just go on their property eat their fruit (or pick huge bags of fruit to take home for your family.

Heck, my parent's home has been vacant since my father died about 15 years ago and, every year, we still have neighbors call us and ask permission to harvest the fruit from his (now, our) apple orchard. They know that it is private property and you do not go on private property to take things that do not belong to you (such as fruit).

Now, it was completely different if your neighbor said "please play on my lawn, I love kids!" or " It is fine to cut diagonally across my garden instead of staying on the sidewalk. I know that it super far to walk" or " I love neighborhood teenagers playing basketball on my driveway instead of on the driveway of their parents house" or "please ride your bike across my lawn & flowers as I really did not like them anyway" or similar things.

Every summer there is thread after thread after thread about people being harassed and bothered by neighborhood children playing on their front lawns, bouncing balls off of their houses, running through their gardens & flower beds, deliberately damaging landscaping, and the children and their parents do not seen to care about the rights of their neighbors.
I agree wholeheartedly! Seems more and more parents are ok with their kids doing anything they want ... as long as they're not bothering THEM.
Today's parents get real funny and defensive when told their little snowflake is doing something wrong ... I'd rather not have to deal with it. I just tell the kids myself, which is usually enough.

Last edited by Steinish; 04-12-2016 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 04:55 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:

When I was a child (OMG, do I sound old!) it was standard procedure to tell your children to stay off of your neighbors lawn, and out of their garden and flower beds. If fact, you did not even have to tell your children that because it was "common knowledge" at least where I grew up. And, if your neighbors had fruit trees you did not just go on their property eat their fruit (or pick huge bags of fruit to take home for your family.

Every summer there is thread after thread after thread about people being harassed and bothered by neighborhood children playing on their front lawns, bouncing balls off of their houses, running through their gardens & flower beds, deliberately damaging landscaping, and the children and their parents do not seen to care about the rights of their neighbors.
Which is what the OP did. She told the kid not to do it. She didn't say the kid continued to do it, her vent was that it happened in the first place. When my own boys were little, we didn't have sidewalks. They weren't permitted to ride in the street. So, yup, they rode on the grass alongside the road from house to house.

It's one thing to complain about a recurring problem. It's another to cast aspersions on neighbors when one is new to the area, has no desire to be friendly, and has no idea what the previous owners allowed.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:05 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Which is what the OP did. She told the kid not to do it. She didn't say the kid continued to do it, her vent was that it happened in the first place. When my own boys were little, we didn't have sidewalks. They weren't permitted to ride in the street. So, yup, they rode on the grass alongside the road from house to house.

It's one thing to complain about a recurring problem. It's another to cast aspersions on neighbors when one is new to the area, has no desire to be friendly, and has no idea what the previous owners allowed.
That is what I am not clear on.... if it is the first time and you are new to the neighborhood, then simply tell them you appreciate it if they didnt ride on your lawn. Now if you see them do it again remind them....a third or fourth time you talk to the parents. But riding a bicycle on your lawn is a rather minor thing to worry about......

And yes we live in an area without sidewalks so the front part of the lawn is considered the "berm" where the mailbox etc area at and is in a city easement zone as well as the far backyard where the utilities are buried. You take care of it but must provide access areas to both front and back (usually 10 ft wide). In our area the kids ride snowmobiles quite often in this "berm" area in the front of the yard and sometimes in the back easement area between homes backyards.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Come on, when you get a new neighbor you don't know that new person or their boundaries. I don't automatically assume I can continue to use the neighbor's driveway or whatever. In fact, I'd assume I can't, and I'd tell my kids not to go into their yard anymore. That's what good neighbors do.
Kids don't think like adults, not always even in their late teens.

Quote:

When I was a child (OMG, do I sound old!) it was standard procedure to tell your children to stay off of your neighbors lawn, and out of their garden and flower beds. If fact, you did not even have to tell your children that because it was "common knowledge" at least where I grew up. And, if your neighbors had fruit trees you did not just go on their property eat their fruit (or pick huge bags of fruit to take home for your family).

Every summer there is thread after thread after thread about people being harassed and bothered by neighborhood children playing on their front lawns, bouncing balls off of their houses, running through their gardens & flower beds, deliberately damaging landscaping, and the children and their parents do not seem to care about the rights of their neighbors.
There is no evidence that the parents gave this kid (kids?) permission to ride their bikes on other people's lawns. Lots of times when an adult upbraids a kid, the kid doesn't even tell their parents. Surely you remember that from being a kid and from raising kids?

I suggest talking directly to the parents, but I wouldn't go about it in the tone of the first post. The OP might say, "I'd like your kids not to ride on the lawn. My husband works on cars there and it could cause an accident."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting