Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 05:55 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1n View Post
This is a terrible argument. I am sure you can find equally many countries (e.g. in Asia) where it is NOT classified as assault. (Read up on Michael Peter Fey's adventure in Singapore; many Asian schools have some form of corporal punishment). I prefer to avoid the "majority rule" arguments.

A terrible analogy. A parent is not a stranger to their child. A child will certainly feel helpless and get mixed signals if the parent beats on them for (as far as the child can tell) no reason or for too many reasons (i.e. every little mistake earns a spanking). On the other hand, on occasional spanking (as a last resort) after receiving plenty of direction and explanations regarding proper vs improper behavior will definitely get the point across. And I would only use this for extreme cases (repeatedly running into the street without mom/dad, repeatedly horsing around in a manner that could lead to severe injuries, etc.)
no a parent is not a stranger , a parent brings a child into the world to love that child, if they have behavioural issues it might be for many reasons or even not being brought up with the proper guidelines... Children act out of control for many reasons.. hitting as a last resort is the parent out of control and not the child.I worked with pre fives for 18 years and it was easy to tell the kids who had rotten parents by their actions... one parent slapped her wee boy over the face in front of the assisants in the the nursery and I told her she couldnt do that.... She said...OH yes I can hes my property.... I felt sick..... and said .. we can stop you as you cant hit a child on our property in front of other children or we can get the police..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:17 PM

308 posts, read 267,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
no a parent is not a stranger , a parent brings a child into the world to love that child, if they have behavioural issues it might be for many reasons or even not being brought up with the proper guidelines... Children act out of control for many reasons.. hitting as a last resort is the parent out of control and not the child.I worked with pre fives for 18 years and it was easy to tell the kids who had rotten parents by their actions... one parent slapped her wee boy over the face in front of the assisants in the the nursery and I told her she couldnt do that.... She said...OH yes I can hes my property.... I felt sick..... and said .. we can stop you as you cant hit a child on our property in front of other children or we can get the police..
The example you provided is an example of an abusive parent, not of a parent who uses spanking as a last resort. And I would be willing to bet that every other case in which you concluded the parents were "rotten" were cases in which the parent indeed had no clue as to how to properly discipline their kids (and I don't mean just spanking). A mom who slaps her boy over the face and worse in front of the assistants is an abuser. Most people are not disciplined enough themselves to properly use spankings. They let their anger and frustration get the best of them -- even those who use spankings sparingly. Perhaps we simply don't have the same definition of "spanking as a last resort."

Old 05-01-2016, 10:29 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie
It doesn't matter what the rest of the story is. I saw that on the news last night, and found it very upsetting. I have no doubt the mother felt intimidated by the administration. It wouldn't have stopped me from grabbing my child and leaving, but I'm older and wiser. Of course, I would never live in a school district that allowed corporal punishment to start with.

It's time to banish this from our schools all together.
I thought this kind of treatment WAS STOPPED in the 80s!!

Old 05-02-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1n View Post
The example you provided is an example of an abusive parent, not of a parent who uses spanking as a last resort. And I would be willing to bet that every other case in which you concluded the parents were "rotten" were cases in which the parent indeed had no clue as to how to properly discipline their kids (and I don't mean just spanking). A mom who slaps her boy over the face and worse in front of the assistants is an abuser. Most people are not disciplined enough themselves to properly use spankings. They let their anger and frustration get the best of them -- even those who use spankings sparingly. Perhaps we simply don't have the same definition of "spanking as a last resort."
Hitting a child is abuse no matter how little ,, hitting a child is not only painful but hurts mentally too... and a form of neglect. no matter how you want to state it..I had to learn too by my mistakes in bringing up my own children... http://www.easternflorida.edu/commun...rain-heart.pdf

Old 05-02-2016, 06:51 AM

IM appalled at some of the stuff Im reading.... schools and parents should never resort to this and believe me it wont get any of you any respect.. all you ll get is hatred and a disturbed adult... heres one lovely parents views..

Proper spanking can involve your hand or a non-injuring object such as a wooden spoon. I have used a wooden spoon and it is nearly impossible to injure a child with one as long as it's used on a clothed bottom. It should be done on a clothed bottom or the back of the legs (if they are wearing thick clothing they won't feel it at all on the bottom) or you might smack their hand or arm to prevent them or deter them from reaching for something dangerous. Any object that can injure a child such as a belt or any other type of striking such as hitting them in the face or kicking them is abusive. One caveat to this: If I had a teenager who was in my face screaming profanities at me I could see smacking them in the face. Thank God, I will probably never have that issue come up since I spanked them as small children and they now have respect for me and would not do that to me! Define Spanking Before Debating It! - Circle of Moms
Yes by all means beat it out of them with a wooden spoon, as long as it doesnt leave marks on their bottom.. cant believe Im reading this...

Old 05-14-2016, 11:37 AM

783 posts, read 576,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
IM appalled at some of the stuff Im reading.... schools and parents should never resort to this and believe me it wont get any of you any respect.. all you ll get is hatred and a disturbed adult...
That's a broad generalization that has no basis in fact. I'm sure there are children who were never hit by their parents who turned out to be 'disturbed adults'. And there are definitely children, such as myself, who were physically punished who turned out to be model citizens. And I certainly didn't hate my mother when I grew up. Did I like it when I was getting punished? Nope. But I realized very soon after I became an adult that she was trying to keep me out of getting into much worse situations later on.

And, in my mind, the issue isn't whether children will be hurt by the punishment. That's the point of the punishment. To teach them a lesson by connecting the punishment to the action that they were punished for. But children get hurt everyday in ways that never teach them a lesson. So I'm perfectly fine with my child feeling a bit of a sting so that they will remember the necessary lesson. Of course, there's a difference between a punishment and abuse. If I give my kid a slap or two on the bottom when they do something they know they're not supposed to do AND explain to them why I did it, it's completely different than yelling at them and punching them in with my fist. The first is a sign of disciplined teaching, the second is a sign of anger.

I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do with their kid. If you don't want to physically punish your child, that's your right. But it's my right to decide to do things differently because I know first hand what the benefits are if done right.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
That's a broad generalization that has no basis in fact. I'm sure there are children who were never hit by their parents who turned out to be 'disturbed adults'. And there are definitely children, such as myself, who were physically punished who turned out to be model citizens. And I certainly didn't hate my mother when I grew up. Did I like it when I was getting punished? Nope. But I realized very soon after I became an adult that she was trying to keep me out of getting into much worse situations later on.

And, in my mind, the issue isn't whether children will be hurt by the punishment. That's the point of the punishment. To teach them a lesson by connecting the punishment to the action that they were punished for. But children get hurt everyday in ways that never teach them a lesson. So I'm perfectly fine with my child feeling a bit of a sting so that they will remember the necessary lesson. Of course, there's a difference between a punishment and abuse. If I give my kid a slap or two on the bottom when they do something they know they're not supposed to do AND explain to them why I did it, it's completely different than yelling at them and punching them in with my fist. The first is a sign of disciplined teaching, the second is a sign of anger.

I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do with their kid. If you don't want to physically punish your child, that's your right. But it's my right to decide to do things differently because I know first hand what the benefits are if done right.
You think a small sting is ok... so did I when my children were small I thought nothing of it.. back then in the 60s now with my own grandchildren I cant ever imagine hitting one of them... but back then it was acceptable by all mothers or most .. the thing is with smacking, it sometimes gets carried out because the parent is annoyed, angry at something else , stressed or fed up.... it has nothing to do with the childs behaviour in many circumstances but the parents own fragile state at the time of hitting the child... this is all wrong.. and what does a child think... iM being hit because my mother or father is out of control and I dont understand... I dont have young children of my own now but how I wish I could turn back time and have been a much better mother....Instead of hitting your child then explaining why you did it, why not try talking and explaining what you find wrong before inflicting pain and embarrassment on to a child..

Old 05-17-2016, 08:05 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
A lot of parents here will one day find their kids in big trouble because they grew up not fearing anything and no pressure to do something with their life. They will be often at odds with the law.

One in six young men are unemployed or incarcerated .

CBO: Nearly 1 in 6 Young Men in U.S. Jobless or Incarcerated - Breitbart

This tells me the lack of discipline growing up and not much parent tough love. So enjoy taking care of your adult kids.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:41 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A lot of parents here will one day find their kids in big trouble because they grew up not fearing anything and no pressure to do something with their life. They will be often at odds with the law.

One in six young men are unemployed or incarcerated .

CBO: Nearly 1 in 6 Young Men in U.S. Jobless or Incarcerated - Breitbart

This tells me the lack of discipline growing up and not much parent tough love. So enjoy taking care of your adult kids.
Meaningless. You have no idea how many of those incarcerated young men were spanked or not. And the article points to lack of education and the disappearance of blue-color jobs as the cause of unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting