Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:20 AM

46 posts, read 40,942 times

Advertisements

Money is definitely not an issue and my husband supports me 200% on this.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:28 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,076 times
Its not good or bad. It just is. However, since this works for your family and you and your husband are aligned on that decision then its obviously right for your family.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
If you have a supportive husband and don't need the money, what would be bad about it? Do what works for your family.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:44 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
It's only bad if you think it is. Are you bored? Do you crave adult conversation? That's your decision, not anyone else's.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsallrightmama View Post
Why are you asking random strangers on a public forum if what you and your husband have decided is best for your family if it is bad?
In theory you are two responsible adults who do not need permission from anyone in regards to your life decisions.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:50 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
No. You should promptly ditch your kids in day care.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:50 AM

420 posts, read 704,395 times
If you and your husband had a financial situation like Mr. Money Mustache where he is independently wealthy and his blog alone generates 400k a year then by all means, both of you stay at home.

But if you are barely making 32k a year, your child has some disabilities, and you are more than likely supplementing insurance and food money with government assistance....AND your husband is already a SAHD.... Then you should do yourself, your family, and society a favor and get a job.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
If you have enough money coming in to do that and it won't hurt your long term career, then it's fine. I would definitely take out enough life insurance on the working spouse, just in case.

If you have to use credit cards or money is too tight, then no. If your career suffers, then no. You have to think long term OP.

I've done both, and staying home can make finances tough. If your husband can't work, dies or loses his job, it can really make your whole family suffer. Only you can know your situation. Talk it over with a financial advisor and your husband.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,064 times
Quote:
My "babies" are 13 now and I'd love to have those early years back again. (Yes, even though they were brutal and neither baby ever slept.)

Cherish these young years -- they fly. Take a billion pictures. Kiss a lot because at a certain point they're too big to attack with cuddles anymore. Travel, teach (without being annoying) and buy a copy of Jim Trelease's The Read-Aloud Handbook.

It's a super, super book that gives tons of great titles to read to your child through the years. And sharing a book together is very bonding!

If you don't need to work: DON'T!

The right job can be a lot of fun and great for keeping the brain stimulated etc., but our kids are a treasure chest full of rubies and gold and diamonds.

But these treasure chests grow up.

Enjoy the treasure now while it's still on the scene.

Alley

Old 04-25-2016, 09:05 AM

46 posts, read 40,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
My "babies" are 13 now and I'd love to have those early years back again. (Yes, even though they were brutal and neither baby ever slept.)

Cherish these young years -- they fly. Take a billion pictures. Kiss a lot because at a certain point they're too big to attack with cuddles anymore. Travel, teach (without being annoying) and buy a copy of Jim Trelease's The Read-Aloud Handbook.

It's a super, super book that gives tons of great titles to read to your child through the years. And sharing a book together is very bonding!

If you don't need to work: DON'T!

The right job can be a lot of fun and great for keeping the brain stimulated etc., but our kids are a treasure chest full of rubies and gold and diamonds.

But these treasure chests grow up.

Enjoy the treasure now while it's still on the scene.

Alley
Thank you, Alley...and - yes - reading to them goes a long way. I will most definitely check out the book you suggested. I feel so blessed to have been able to spend all this time with our son. As a result, we have a very strong bond and rapport. I also have been able to homeschool him (he loves it) and as a result, he has known his upper- and lower-case ABCs by name, can somewhat sight read, and counts to 25, as well as knows his colors and shapes. The psychologist said several months ago that he was at a kindergarten level academically...and he gets to go to classes, the library, the park, and indoor play areas at least 5x/week for socialization with other children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting