U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,265,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4me View Post
And loved Holly Hobbie and Laura Ingalls. How about Nancy Drew? And Elephant pants? And Peace signs?? Oh, I guess I could go on and on. Fun to reflect!

Holly Hobbie was just peaking when I started babysitting around age 11-13, so a lot of my "charges" had her gear. That reminded me of another doll I did collect - tho - and can't remember the names. They were tiny and they were kept inside this little clear plastic domes kind of like snow-globes, but more tubular. Does anyone remember them & what they were called?

Ooh! and trolls too - we used to go to the school fairs and buy one (or win one) in every color.
And rabbits feet key chains! I NEVER knew they were really the feet of rabbits until I was an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 PM

21,143 posts, read 22,130,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Holly Hobbie was just peaking when I started babysitting around age 11-13, so a lot of my "charges" had her gear. That reminded me of another doll I did collect - tho - and can't remember the names. They were tiny and they were kept inside this little clear plastic domes kind of like snow-globes, but more tubular. Does anyone remember them & what they were called?

Ooh! and trolls too - we used to go to the school fairs and buy one (or win one) in every color.
And rabbits feet key chains! I NEVER knew they were really the feet of rabbits until I was an adult.

Kiddles....I had a bunch of them - I think they might have been scented?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:32 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,265,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Kiddles....I had a bunch of them - I think they might have been scented?

Yes - thanks!! Kiddles - and yes they were scented - I forgot about that part! I thought I was livin' the high life back then.
Cool how it didn't take much to make us happy!

Here's a cute story I bet a lot of you can relate to. My friend & I shared the same birth date. I came from working class, she came from money. For my 16th birthday, I had my heart set on this long wool navy maxi-coat - remember how cool they were? I was afraid to ask for one because I knew it was probably too much $$. But sure enough, my parents splurged & the morning of my 16th, I walked to school & entered home room feelin' prit-tee stylin'!

All the kids were congregating at the window talking about what Brenda got for her 16th. I looked out just as she pulled in in her brand spankin' new Mustang Shelby; painted blue & white just like Farrah Fawcett's in Charlie's Angels. Yeah, that was a deflater for sure. (But I still loved my coat!)

Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 PM

Yep. I think I got a birthstone ring for my 16th. A girl in my class got a restored Thunderbird - light blue with white leather interior and those little circular windows.....A Mustang sounds more fun though! No one I knew well got a car for their birthday....or in HS at all. We all drove our parent's cars - I was the youngest in my crowd and my mom's car was a light blue station wagon with wood panelling. Needless to say, I NEVER drove anywhere!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,166,929 times
OMG...I had all of the above and quite a few kiddles too!

I was pretty good with the klackers!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 PM

12,975 posts, read 2,824,720 times
WoW! If that wasn't a trip down memory lane! So many of those items and icons I could relate to! And....Fantasy Island did make me feel a bit "strange" LOL

Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,274,912 times
I really enjoyed reading that post, I had all of those things, except the clacker thingy's, not familiar. I wanted a Holly Hobbie bake oven so badly for Christmas, but I didn't get it. I tease my Mom still that I need psychotherapy now to work through the pain from that I loved that lip gloss, it was sooo gooey!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM

15 Minute Lunch: Strap in, shut up and hold on. We're going back.

Here's another link that should provide some laughs for those of us that remember that decade...

Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 PM

14 posts, read 120,793 times
Anybody remember the Mrs. Beasley doll?? I still have mine....

Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 PM

14 posts, read 120,793 times
Oh and the Maxi dress (down to your ankles)....mine was yellow with little red flowers (sounds awful huh?) think I was maybe 6 or 7....my Mom still has it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or