Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:26 AM

46 posts, read 40,931 times

Advertisements

Claims it's for our son's safety. (He rides a tricycle now and again in Occupational Therapy, but doesn't know yet how to do the pedals). Would almost 5 be too old for a tricycle? Should we just directly move on to a bicycle with training wheels at that time? He turned 3 two months ago, but already 43 inches and 47 lbs now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
I dont think theres a right age for a certain bike. My 8 and 9yr olds learned how to ride a 2 wheel last year. We let it naturally happen with no teaching. They didnt have tricycles and training wheels, etc. They just had small bikes and learned.

If hes afraid for safety, get a helmet and pads and go as a family.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
What kind of child is your son? Is he more adventurous? Does he express an interest in a tricycle?

4 1/2 seems a little old for a tricycle. I think my son was insisting I take the training wheels off his bike by that age. BUT - he was (and still is) an adventurous kid. And he's a second child (who I think generally are more willing to try new things just to keep up). I'd take the lead from your son.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:19 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Kids do things at different ages. My oldest couldn't ride a bike or trike until she was 6...she couldn't pedal and steer at the same time. My younger daughter got a little bike with training wheels when she was 2 and she rode it constantly. I was in a wheelchair at the time and she and I would chase each other around the patio while she rode the bike.

Personally, I would just get a balance bike and let him use that for a while, then move on to a regular bike (with or without training wheels).

Whatever you get him, get a helmet for him to wear...I know someone will chime in and say they never used a helmet as a child and turned out fine, but it's best to make a helmet a requirement from the very beginning, and then it will already be a habit by the time he might be an age to question it.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:23 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

Whatever you get him, get a helmet for him to wear...I know someone will chime in and say they never used a helmet as a child and turned out fine, but it's best to make a helmet a requirement from the very beginning, and then it will already be a habit by the time he might be an age to question it.
I agree with this! They may not always wear their pads but they have to wear their helmet, even if others arent. Mine did quickly learn to wear their pads when they decided to go too fast and broke an elbow and thumb.

so take stock out on Knee/Elbow Bandaids!

Old 04-28-2016, 12:40 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Too old for a trike I'd say. Get him a balance bike or a normal bike. I'd recommend balance bike over normal bike with training wheels though as I think the training wheels teaches them the wrong way of riding, wish I had gone the balance bike route instead with my kid (she insisted on the training wheels off at 4.5 though anyway)

Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Skip the trike and look into a balance bike. I don't think the brand we have will go that tall though (Strider).

My kids never had trikes or training wheels. They went from balance bikes to regular bike by the age of 4.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:02 PM

83 posts, read 127,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What kind of child is your son? Is he more adventurous? Does he express an interest in a tricycle?

4 1/2 seems a little old for a tricycle. I think my son was insisting I take the training wheels off his bike by that age. BUT - he was (and still is) an adventurous kid. And he's a second child (who I think generally are more willing to try new things just to keep up). I'd take the lead from your son.

Agree. A neighbor boy was already riding his bike (with training wheels) pretty fast at 3 yr old. In comparison, my more timid son had a really hard time learning to ride his bike last year when he's 3 1/2. He is now 4 1/2 and can ride his bike (with training wheels) pretty well. He still has a hard time starting from stationary though - I have to push him sometimes.

With your son being that tall (at least compare to my small son @ 37 inches), my suggestion is to skip the tricycle and just go straight to bike when he's ready.

A balance bike is also a good option. I love watching videos of little kids racing on balance bike. I got it for my son when he was younger, but he was never into it. He prefers the regular bike.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:43 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
If he's using a trike at therapy ask his therapist what they recommend for his age and ability.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
If he's using a trike at therapy ask his therapist what they recommend for his age and ability.
Therapy being the operative word. I mean... maybe it's me, but I read the o.p. as having a differently abled (temporary?) son, and this may be what is fueling what appears to be overprotectiveness on a casual first pass assessment. Can we have the full picture, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting