Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 08:23 PM

924 posts, read 751,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
You wouldn't believe what we had to wear in Catholic elementary school and Catholic high school 1950-62.
I wouldn't be too surprised.....the elementary/middle school I went to had a dress code that all-but-said girls couldn't wear pants, and boys had to have short hairstyles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 10:07 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
See, this list is just atrocious. Just make a list the same for both sexes, and they need to include outfits that show drugs, illicit things, and derogatory things. I've seen some of those shirts and they are in terrible taste.

How about making just a genderless list? I've seen boys wearing crop tops and low cut necklines. Boys wear athletic shorts and shorter shorts all the time.
Exactly! That's what really bothers my middle school kids--the unfairness. It's the same problem the OP mentioned about the assembly only for girls. The dress code should just be the dress code--for everyone! And it should be reasonable enough that a kid can dress appropriately yet comfortably.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:15 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't see why it would be so difficult to have a dress code that is as equal as possible for boys and girls (no tank tops, no short shorts, skirts) and present it to everyone together. I have no problem with dress codes, and I do think some tank tops and booty shorts are not appropriate for school, but I don't like the way girls are made to feel that they have to cover up because the boys have no self control.

If it were my high schooler, I might help with a lesson in civics. I'd oversee her writing a letter to the appropriate person in charge, pointing out the sexism of the policy, and asking for a change.
These are exactly my feelings on the subject. Remove the boy/girl categories, make an across the board dress code, and remove the entire notion that girls are responsible for boys' self control.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:23 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
How much cleavage is too much for school? I would say none, because I find it unprofessional and inappropriate for school. If a girl is generously endowed, does she have the right to display her cleavage in the classroom environment?

Personally, I believe that young ladies should learn to be modest in a formal environment. I found it in poor taste when my mother-in-law would buy my daughter dresses for church that I believed were immodest, so I understand that there are differences in opinions regarding propriety. The questions that schools must address is How much is too much?
I can wear a simple crew-neck t-shirt and if I bend over a little bit, people can get a peek of cleavage. I wear a regular blouse with the buttons all buttoned up (except for the top one), same thing. A little bit of cleavage may show, and not just when I'm bending waaaay over. No one has complained about this or anything, it is not super-obvious, but with some more endowed girls, the only way to avoid any cleavage showing is if they wear turtlenecks all the time, or mandarin collars. No kidding.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:46 AM

568 posts, read 962,223 times
Well unless the eyes are sewn shut....female bodies are a distraction to males as well as females.
That is a "fact of life".

Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Wow! I had quit following this thread for a while b/c it was getting tedious (to me). Now I'm back and things have really gotten interesting again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I cannot assert this with any certainty. I suspect you are right.

I feel bad for these girls, really. Not sure slapping them with a violation is the right answer. If you find an answer, be sure to let me know.
I agree, having been the mom of one such girl. Is the PP saying well-endowed girls should wear turtlenecks all the time? Maybe the well-endowed girl she described had a shirt on that was just too small, but I will repeat, some of these styles that are fairly modest still show cleavage on well-endowed girls. I'd look at the whole outfit in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
How much cleavage is too much for school? I would say none, because I find it unprofessional and inappropriate for school. If a girl is generously endowed, does she have the right to display her cleavage in the classroom environment?

Personally, I believe that young ladies should learn to be modest in a formal environment. I found it in poor taste when my mother-in-law would buy my daughter dresses for church that I believed were immodest, so I understand that there are differences in opinions regarding propriety. The questions that schools must address is How much is too much?
There is a difference between "display(ing) her cleavage" and a shirt that is cut such that on a well-endowed girl/woman, some small amount of cleavage shows. See my previous post about a conversation some of us at work had about this. The other woman involved is the wife of a pastor of a very conservative church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Nope, pretty sure the author of that comment was serious.

Tight is a visual inspection that the cloth is not cut right or reveals to close to the person.

No I would not think anything the way you do. I work corporate and we do not allow the men to wear tank tops, or tight shorts to work. we do not allow the females to wear slits up to their bum for skirts. we do not allow see thru tops unless a camisole of solid color is also covering the mid frame area. You want to be treated like a professional, not a toy .

There is a tasteful way to dress in the professional world. Most teens or the young students may have desires to "express" themselves,yet as in life, everything in moderation. Coming to school with clean attire covering the naughties is not too much to ask of our upcoming professionals.
Good grief! Tight is in the eye of the beholder. Referring to one's private parts as "naughties" is kind of over the top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I can wear a simple crew-neck t-shirt and if I bend over a little bit, people can get a peek of cleavage. I wear a regular blouse with the buttons all buttoned up (except for the top one), same thing. A little bit of cleavage may show, and not just when I'm bending waaaay over. No one has complained about this or anything, it is not super-obvious, but with some more endowed girls, the only way to avoid any cleavage showing is if they wear turtlenecks all the time, or mandarin collars. No kidding.
Exactly!

Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Slightly off topic, but this happened this weekend:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/05/ktla...t-sweater.html

Female meteorologist (at KTLA in Southern California) was handed a sweater ON AIR. She IS wearing what looks like more of a cocktail dress than something appropriate for work, but whether it was that or her bare shoulders that "offended" viewers, apparently her bosses couldn't wait one minute for her to finish the report, saying, "We've gotten a lot of emails."

Quote:
I saw that. I personally think the dress was inappropriate for work, but it was handled extremely badly. The woman's supervisor should have addressed the issue before she went on the air, or after, but certainly not during.
Obviously, that was done for the show! I have noticed some of the weather-women on our TV stations wearing similar dresses, in fact I even said once that one of them looked like she was going to a cocktail party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I see it differently. I would much rather see my daughter try to handle this through appropriate channels, and I think the Student Council is the right channel, than to go in as a parent on her behalf. Parents have bigger fish to fry than dress code violations. Presumably, the OP's daughter is not the only one who has been singled out. She can be her own advocate, and learn a few things about due process along the way.
I think that's a great idea.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Obviously, that was done for the show! I have noticed some of the weather-women on our TV stations wearing similar dresses, in fact I even said once that one of them looked like she was going to a cocktail party.

I think that's a great idea.
You think? That's not what I've read.

ETA, She says now that it was a joke, but I don't know...
http://www.today.com/style/meteorolo...751?cid=sm_fbn

Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
This thread got me interested so I tried looking up dress codes for my local schools - they don't appear to have any! The only mention of clothing in the school rules for all of them is that hats must be worn outside when its below freezing, nothing about wearing appropriate clothing.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You think? That's not what I've read.

ETA, She says now that it was a joke, but I don't know...
Meteorologist Liberté Chan asked to cover up dress on live TV, calls it a 'joke' - TODAY.com
I meant throwing the sweater on her was for show. They could have been quite serious about the dress code violation, but I bet their approach was very well thought out and not at all a spur-of-the-moment decision. After all, they could have asked her to put the sweater on at commercial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting