Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:55 AM

18 posts, read 19,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post

In this girl's neighborhood, she is being made into a social outcast. She really isn't "one of them" anymore. She would have fit in at my high school. We all drove crummy cars and worked part time jobs.

I see the point of what they are doing, but I think it could do more harm than good.
See this is one of the problems I go to this private prep school and the kids that go there would make fun of me to no end if they found out I work at a coffee shop, I mean I live in Bedford NY where everyone is pretty much super loaded it's an issue but my parents don't get it, they just don't care about me. I don't remember my older brother going through this.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Wow, you must be working almost 50 hours a week to earn that much! When do you go to school?

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-16-2016 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loversandfriends24 View Post
So it was my 16th birthday a couple of months ago and after I had this big party I was expecting a gift from my parents for my sweet 16, preferably a car. I didn't tell them that I wanted it though hoping they'd surprise me, which they did just not in the way I wanted. Basically they sat me down and told me that 1) They would no longer give me any money at all 2) I would have to get a job and 3) That whatever I want to buy, like clothes/makeup/car/anything I would have to pay for it myself with the money I get from my job. I'm honestly extremely frustrated and angry, because I know they have more than enough money to give me they just won't anymore. I was lucky enough to be brought into a very affluent & well-off family, which is why I'm so upset. If they didn't have the money I would totally understand and I wouldn't whine and complain at all, the problem is I feel as though they're being totally selfish and mean. They forbade me from using the drivers and now I either have to take the bus, the subway or go places by foot.

It's so embarrassing, 95% of my friends got Range Rovers, Porsche's etc. for their sweet 16 and they can do whatever they want and shop an unlimited amount of anything, they ask me to go to Barney's for a shopping spree and then for sushi and I always have to make up some excuse because I'm too ashamed to tell them I can't afford any of that stuff, the only job I could find was as a waitress at this café and as you can imagine it doesn't pay well enough for me to be splurging on overpriced food and designer clothes, it's difficult enough trying to hide from people who go to my school whenever it's my shift. I'm just starting to really hate my life & most of all my parents, it's not fair that my friends can do whatever they want and buy anything because their PARENTS are nice enough to give them money whilst I have to work as a frickin' waitress because my parents are being awful. I'm honestly never speaking to them again whenever I try to they only give me this beyond annoying "you'll thank us later in life" speech which angers me even more. If anybody has any ideas as to how I can convince my parents to start giving me money again that would be beyond appreciated, because to be frank I'm tired of this, i want to be like all my friends and that right is being taken away from me.

Thank You For Reading
-Ellie
Your parents are cruel and dumb people, if what you are saying is true.
If throughout your childhood they didn't teach you the value of non-material things, didn't teach you how to concentrate on what's really important in life, raised you being accustomed to "sushi" and decided to "teach you a lesson" only by the time you turned 16, that's very dumb of them.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, no, not buying it.
1000 per month isn't a lot, plus out of that 1000 i can only use half PER MONTH because I'm saving up to get myself a car. Look believe what you want, trust me I have better things to do with my time than make stories up if you genuinely want to help me out please do and it will be greatly appreciated in fact I think i'm going to show the responses to my parents, at least the positive ones. If you're here to make sarcastic remarks I honestly have no time for it, my life is crappy enough already. Much love though

Old 05-16-2016, 10:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Mod cut: Orphaned and off-topic.

Quote:
1000 per month isn't a lot, plus out of that 1000 i can only use half PER MONTH because I'm saving up to get myself a car. Look believe what you want, trust me I have better things to do with my time than make stories up if you genuinely want to help me out please do and it will be greatly appreciated in fact I think i'm going to show the responses to my parents, at least the positive ones. If you're here to make sarcastic remarks I honestly have no time for it, my life is crappy enough already. Much love though
$1000 a month is a TON for a kid living at home. Most people don't have anything near that in disposable income. And you said you were spending $1000 on a t-shirt. So yeah, I'll make a remark.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-16-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 10:02 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
I think it would be really easy to judge "poor little rich girl" harshly.

But, when you think about it, the parents would be better off if they moved to a less affluent neighborhood. In this girl's neighborhood, she is being made into a social outcast. She really isn't "one of them" anymore. She would have fit in at my high school. We all drove crummy cars and worked part time jobs.

I see the point of what they are doing, but I think it could do more harm than good.
Oh no. I live in a neighborhood that Porsche is a poor man's car. The rich Chinese foreigners drive Bentleys and the likes.
My kid's first car is a hand down from her aunt with 400k miles.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:03 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
I think it would be really easy to judge "poor little rich girl" harshly.

But, when you think about it, the parents would be better off if they moved to a less affluent neighborhood. In this girl's neighborhood, she is being made into a social outcast. She really isn't "one of them" anymore. She would have fit in at my high school. We all drove crummy cars and worked part time jobs.

Meh. I am not super sympathetic. As a scholarship kid at our local mega rich high school, there are a lot of us "social outcasts". There were a lot of us. People like me who never had that kind of kib and students with parents like this one who said NO to excess. The thing is, social interaction aside, this school was HANDS DOWN the best academically anywhere near. So a parent who chose to ask their kid to adapt for that reason would make sense to me.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Haaa. The ones you agree with that you think will help you get your parents to bankroll shopping "sprees". I feel more sorry for your friends than I do you. Come back and post again in 20 years when you are a parent.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
How many hours a week do you work?

Don't Google it, just answer.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
[snip]

$1000 a month is a TON for a kid living at home. Most people don't have anything near that in disposable income. And you said you were spending $1000 on a t-shirt. So yeah, I'll make a remark.
Ok because clearly I had to pay a greater deal of attention when phrasing my sentences:

$1000 a month is NOT enough for a girl who has to 1) save half of that to buy herself a car so she can actually go places easily 2) Who is getting 0 financial support from her parents and who 3) Is trying her very best to keep up with the lifestyle of her friends so she doesn't get excluded and so she doesn't end up a friendless loser who everyone hates. You may not understand me but this is actually really difficult for me, and not something I'm used to. I thought these forums were supposed to be understanding and helpful?

Also, quick side not: On the t-shirt thing I meant the $350 per week not the $1000,obviously, and on the job thing I've always been under the impression barista and waitress is the exact same thing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-16-2016 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting