U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,464,930 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if sometimes some of us are lucky to have grown up. There were a couple occasions I would have either been dead or seriously injured during my very, very early years.

- When I was slightly under age 1, I was jumping on my crib like crazy. At some point I slipped and was about to fall head down flat on the hard floor (it was kind of a high distance) if it weren't for my father's single-handed grab in mid-air right on the last minute.

- Age 2: I was climbing a window and was probably about to take a step forward and my mother grabbed me by the hair and arms (before doing that though, she had to sneek behind me quietly because if she had startled me, I would have fallen).

- Slightly older than age 2: I let go off my mother's hand and crossed the street. The driver stopped on time and yelled at my mother for being careless.

The last one (was between 3-4 yrs old by then): A relative who was an 8-9 year-old child herself but always loved kids and seemed matured for her age was watching me in the meantime. It was at some store. Suddenly a teenaged girl with autism was charging toward me ready to hit me, possibly beat me. My relative got in between and she took the hits. Eventually someone separated the mentally disabled girl from my relative.

The very first time I got told about those incidents, I was shocked. It was scary to think what would have happened if I wasn't save on time or the driver would have put the brakes too late. Even the author Stephen King's son (as a toddler) was going to be run over by a big truck on the side of the road but he saved him right on the last moment. He still doesn't recall how he exactly he save him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 10:36 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,081,150 times
I was told about nearly drowning as a toddler while parents were sitting talking on the bay shore beach. They went to the bay even though the Atlantic Ocean was across the road because the bay was calm, no waves. What they didn't know was there were "holes" in the bay and I was apparently going down for the second or third time before someone spotted me.

I used to roller skate down the hall in my grandparents small home but one day someone closed the french glass doors and I skated right into them, age 3 or 4. Remember bleeding and sitting on a kitchen sink.

My husband's mother tells a story of him being an escape artist as a small child (2 to 3 years old) and coming in his room to find him sitting on an open window sill on the second floor. They tied down a screen on top of his crib after that.

My brother age 3 or 4 picked up a lead pipe in the yard and dropped it on his finger cutting it off 90%. It was reattached at local hospital and he recovered completely.

These are normal events that happen to normal parents and children. Accidents happen. Some years ago venetian blind cords killed babies in cribs by hanging/asphyxiation and I know a family that lost a child that way in the 1960's. Tragic but no one thought about the possibility then.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:26 PM

12,414 posts, read 18,064,012 times
Close calls? No. In our house, it was full on trips to the ER. There were 7 of us, and my parents were well acquainted with the hospital.

The only true close call was the day Kennedy died, and all the neighbors had gathered outside our house. My two sisters, 3 and not quite 2, were there also. The younger one walked into the roadway, as a truck was passing, and the 3 yr old grabbed her hood and pulled her away. The truck driver got out and collapsed in tears on our front lawn.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:24 PM

8,917 posts, read 5,048,294 times
Just part of growing up...

Old 05-19-2016, 09:07 PM

667 posts, read 344,342 times
My son had a close call once when he was around 7 or 8. Brother was in a lifted 69 ford pickup reving it, showing off a lil bit in the back yard. My son was standing at the rear bumper when my brother got back in the truck and put it in gear before we had time to react. My brother poped the clutch so the truck stalled saving my son from what would have been a very bad situation. Was defenently was an eye opening moment. You could see it on my brothers face once he found out where my son was that he was shaken by it.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:16 PM

10,288 posts, read 16,563,492 times
My little sister had some close calls...had a water heater tip over on her at a garage sale, fingers crushed in a bathroom door, fingers closed in the car door, attacked by a dog and nearly killed when she was 5 but she just ended up having several hundred stitches in her face and throat. I'm sure there were other close calls where she didn't end up getting hurt, which I don't remember.

When I was a kid I thought those kinds of close calls were just part of childhood, but it's not. My kids have been hurt a couple of times, but it's a rare thing, not something that happens all the time like it did to my sister. My younger daughter thought she lost a stick-on earring up inside her nose and had to have an xray. My older daughter fell and broke her arm, but that happened at school.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:21 AM

99 posts, read 51,814 times
We have a child we used to call Baby Suicide. The running joke is that she was always trying to find ways to off herself. She ate anything and everything she could get her hands on, including plants. She had no fear, and would swan dive off the couch onto her head repeatedly. More than once I saved her from a dead run off a set of steep stairs. She was a daredevil and had zero fear.

She is 15 and still kind of the same way. She is pretty fearless, broke her wrist last year snowboarding, I guess when she saw her friends zooming down the mountain, she assumed she could do the same, even though she was a beginner.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:24 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,948,882 times
My mom had a bad car accident when she was in the early stages of pregnancy for me. This was the early 80s so I guess they didn't have the technology they do now....she barely gained any weight throughout the pregnancy because she was convinced I was dead or seriously damaged.

When I was 18 months my mom left me standing on a table over concrete. She told my SEVEN year old sister to watch me. I fell, breaking my leg. Imagine if I hit my head.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:55 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,266,998 times
I was driving down a road in a small town once and there was a baby crawling across the street right in front of me! I stopped thank goodness and saw a group of adults talking in front of a house. I honked and a woman ran out and got the baby. She didn't even look at me, so I just drove off.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:17 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,464,930 times
I guess it's part of growing up that happens to many of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPanthers View Post
We have a child we used to call Baby Suicide. The running joke is that she was always trying to find ways to off herself. She ate anything and everything she could get her hands on, including plants. She had no fear, and would swan dive off the couch onto her head repeatedly. More than once I saved her from a dead run off a set of steep stairs. She was a daredevil and had zero fear.

She is 15 and still kind of the same way. She is pretty fearless, broke her wrist last year snowboarding, I guess when she saw her friends zooming down the mountain, she assumed she could do the same, even though she was a beginner.
Wow, interesting story. I guess some of us are born to be risk takers and have adventurous traits (as you called it, daredevil).

Mattie, I can't imagine how the poor truck driver felt at that moment. I would probably be crying too if I were to almost ran over a baby/toddler and maybe not even go to work that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting