Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:42 AM

18,442 posts, read 18,580,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Then this is not about the failings of individual men putting drink before their kids. It is about failings of the culture of Glasgow that glorifies drinking for men. It's also about cultures that promote early and fast marriages and shame people for divorcing.
You hit it on the head... glorifying heavy drinking and its exactly what was done... men thought it was manly to drink as much as they possibly could before staggering or being carried home... not all men.. but the ones that didnt drink heavily were called teenies or henpecked... thank god some were decent... now theres not a thing wrong with having a drink, I like a whisky myself, its when it interferes with family life and money not being given to support and feed kids...or when children frequently see and hear fighting in the house .Shame was also put on women if they lost their husband either through drink or infidelity, it was as if she had done wrong in not being able to keep him satisfied...most of the time other women were the culprits, so its ignorance and old fashioned ideas in some peoples minds... Divorce for women though usually left them destitute.. they didnt have many avenues to get help... so vicious circle..

Old 06-01-2016, 01:27 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,914,680 times
I'd comment on this but I need to go get a drink first.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,584,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A big "business"? That would imply that there's money involved. As I'm sure you already know, AA is not allowed by their own rules to charge any fees or accept money. They pass a basket for the coffee and cake fund, and tossing in is optional.

I agree that AA doesn't work for many. But it does for some, and at least those people aren't drinking anymore.

Court-mandated attendance for DUI is not effective, I agree. My ex, who really WAS an alcoholic, was required to go after he was convicted of drunk driving. He had to bring a slip of paper in signed by someone showing he had attended. He went to the first meeting, where he found someone who would sell him signed attendance slips for $10 each.

Back to topic, no, even his daughter was not enough to make him stop drinking. The addiction must be protected. Everything else is secondary.
AA bylaws forbid accepting more than $2,000 a year from any member. This is donations only. The national organization makes its money through sale of books, literature and videos.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:10 PM

88,136 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
AA bylaws forbid accepting more than $2,000 a year from any member. This is donations only. The national organization makes its money through sale of books, literature and videos.
Thanks. I stand corrected. Perhaps what I heard was that members aren't required to pay.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 AM

18,442 posts, read 18,580,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
For clarity - I never said it does not belong on City Data. You may have experienced this in your home and you may have read a book about it but there is no accuracy in your saying it happens or happened in most homes unless you have a survey showing that. Anecdotal evidence is useless. Feel free to not respond.
• 65,000 Scottish children are estimated to live with a parent whose drinking is
problematic.16
• a quarter of children on the Child Protection Register are estimated to be there
due to parental alcohol or drug misuse.17
• one in three divorces cite excessive drinking by a partner as a contributory
factor.

there you go have a read.. then tell me Im wrong to discuss this... this might not state fathers.. only parents, but it shows the drinking culture here and how its always been...

http://www.gov.scot/resource/doc/227785/0061677.pdf

Old 06-05-2016, 02:50 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,434,996 times
This thread has been moderated, moved to this forum and moderated again.

Due to the continued bickering, off topic, and orphaned mass deleted posts posts this thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting