U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 03:13 PM

5,626 posts, read 4,729,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post

My DH and I know that hiring an occasional babysitter would be a good thing for us, as we need more time alone, but we are terrified of inviting a basic stranger into our home. Depression isn't even a factor that has crossed our minds- we are scared of people who will abuse our children in some way and the paranoia about that wins out over date night every time. For us, a night out is just not worth it and we've been able to come up with ways where we can spend time alone.

What boggles my mind is when I go onto the FB selling groups that I belong to and see mothers asking for CHEAP
babysitting recommendations and get several names given to them. This one mother was called out by another mother because the pay literally equaled out to be about a $1.50 per hour for TWO small children. And that's not the only mother I've seen asking for childcare for next to nothing. It boggles my mind when parents will expect great childcare for pennies and expect that the people who reply to their ads are going to be wonderful and don't bother to take the time to background check, reference check, etc.
You get could to know the potential sitter well before she watches your child.

You can watch a child for a low pay rate but still do a good job and vice versa. How do you know they dont a background check, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 05:42 PM

747 posts, read 639,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
You get could to know the potential sitter well before she watches your child.

You can watch a child for a low pay rate but still do a good job and vice versa. How do you know they dont a background check, etc?

My point was that these parents I'm encountering are expecting to get childcare for next to nothing, when, in fact, the people they entrust their children to should be paid A LOT more. But, paying more also doesn't guarantee that you're going to have a great babysitter, either. It's a double-edged sword in many ways.

And how well can you really get to know someone without basically living with them on a day-to-day basis?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:26 AM

14,583 posts, read 11,718,758 times
Doesnt anyone use cameras in their homes or do they trust people to mind their children and be left alone in their house... Ive only had my mother mind mine when they were young so I was very lucky to have a relative,

Old 06-03-2016, 10:05 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,690,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Doesnt anyone use cameras in their homes or do they trust people to mind their children and be left alone in their house... Ive only had my mother mind mine when they were young so I was very lucky to have a relative,
Such a great point. Kind of crazy when you stop and realize that we live in a time when we have more technology, apps, cameras etc... to monitor everything. Yet we're also the most over protective we've seen in society.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:57 AM

12,978 posts, read 11,898,376 times
Quote:
My point was that these parents I'm encountering are expecting to get childcare for next to nothing, when, in fact, the people they entrust their children to should be paid A LOT more.

People earning minimum wage are earning $7.25 an hour, $2.13 an hour if they are also earning tips. They often need child care too.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:54 PM

24,619 posts, read 29,043,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Some do. That won't help you spot depression though.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,305,340 times
Someone taking medicine for depression? Sure. I take medicine for depression myself and I certainly trust myself to look after my kid. More complicated mental health illnesses are another matter - after my experience with my kid's dad and his mental illnesses I would be more wary but I know that's because he has made it look so bad.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:13 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,845,359 times
Quote:
As a mother to 2 small children, I honestly would have a hard time hiring a person who admitted to me that he/she was being treated for depression and was on medication. What if the person decided to go off of their medication or stop treatment and didn't inform us and something happened? Depression can be managed just fine for a lot of people as long as they are following a good treatment regime; unfortunately, some will choose to do things their own way and that's when an additional level of risk comes into play.

My DH and I know that hiring an occasional babysitter would be a good thing for us, as we need more time alone, but we are terrified of inviting a basic stranger into our home. Depression isn't even a factor that has crossed our minds- we are scared of people who will abuse our children in some way and the paranoia about that wins out over date night every time. For us, a night out is just not worth it and we've been able to come up with ways where we can spend time alone.

What boggles my mind is when I go onto the FB selling groups that I belong to and see mothers asking for CHEAP
babysitting recommendations and get several names given to them. This one mother was called out by another mother because the pay literally equaled out to be about a $1.50 per hour for TWO small children. And that's not the only mother I've seen asking for childcare for next to nothing. It boggles my mind when parents will expect great childcare for pennies and expect that the people who reply to their ads are going to be wonderful and don't bother to take the time to background check, reference check, etc.

What do you think a depressed person off of their meds would do to the child?

What do all of your frightened people imagine could happen?

Old 06-05-2016, 06:41 PM

10,092 posts, read 6,621,517 times
Wow I am really surprised. And kind of amused. Do people saying "NEVER" think they don't deal with people with depression on a daily basis? Or have already had child care from someone using meds? I would rather use someone treating their depression and being honest about how they are doing then not.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 208 times
My question here is: should people who have depression be allowed to have children? That should settle this debate, based on your answer to that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or