Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 07:40 PM

203 posts, read 108,452 times

Advertisements

EH, this is one of those things I'd prefer not to know about it i guess. Many people suffer depression in their life at one point or another. If it's someone who is clinically depressed and on meds then this is common from what i hear. This isnt something that anyone would ever put on a job application so why would a nanny or child care provider be telling anyone about this? I can see that if a parent did know about this then they probably wouldnt want to hire them just like any HR person would find another candidate who didn't have a mental illness listed on their resume. Fair or not that's how they world seems to work.

Think about how many people with mental illness go on to have kids of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:48 PM

11 posts, read 5,746 times
My answer is no.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Had this conversation with my wife (and a few friends) recently. I dont think I am out of bounds in saying "ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!!!".

Two ladies I know offered their services to us but both are open about their battle with depression and having been prescribed anti depression meds. Both seem to be nice, but I cannot ever see under any circumstances to hire, even for a few hours someone who takes anti depression (prozac, zoloft, celexa, ritalin, etc.) pills.

Would any of you hire someone like this to care for your child(ren) 10 years old and under?
Why is the taking of medication for a medical issue problematic?

Old 12-06-2018, 01:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Exactly.

It would be those untreated that could possibly pose an issue.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
That's easy to answer if we're being honest........it's Because the "medical issue" is depression, and a lot of people are fearful of that...fearful that the medication might not be working ... especially when their children are in their care.
Maybe not so for other "issues".

Old 12-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Exactly.

It would be those untreated that could possibly pose an issue.
True...but we have no way of knowing..(unless we're told, and that would never happen)...just as we have no way of knowing if the depresseds anti depressant medications are working as they should ....most people wouldn't want to chance it with their kids.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
True...but we have no way of knowing..(unless we're told, and that would never happen)...just as we have no way of knowing if the depresseds anti depressant medications are working as they should ....most people wouldn't want to chance it with their kids.
I wonder why the post is about depression compared to any other possible issue?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I wonder why the post is about depression compared to any other possible issue?
because it's about babysitting your children.
Would you rather have someone taking medication to reduce or control their acid reflux ...watch your children.....or someone who's taking antipsychotics or antidepressants to watch them.

The one taking medication for the acid reflux might miss, or forget a dose, and it won't impact on their care of the children.
The one taking antiphyschotics misses a dose and it COULD impact on their care for the children.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
because it's about babysitting your children.
Would you rather have someone taking medication to reduce or control their acid reflux ...watch your children.....or someone who's taking antipsychotics or antidepressants to watch them.

The one taking medication for the acid reflux might miss, or forget a dose, and it won't impact on their care of the children.
The one taking antiphyschotics misses a dose and it COULD impact on their care for the children.
I have no earthly idea what you would bring up antipsychotics in a thread about depression. Perhaps you don't know the difference between depression and bipolar disorder?

There is a lot of stigma around mental illness. This post demonstrates it well. I suffer from depression. I am a very good mother. I don't happen to work in child care (anymore). But if I still did, I would be a very, very good provider as I was when I did it.

The range of symptoms within the diagnosis of depression is huge. Depression itself would be no barrier in my mind.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:58 AM

There is a long history of using anti-psychotic medications in the treatment of depressive disorders.

Anti-psychotic meds are often used to treat ADHD....severe depression....eating disorders....PTSD.....obsessive compulsive disorders.....

I have no doubt that you are a very good mother, and a very very good provider as well.

I'm not saying it's right to be discriminatory against people taking medication...but it is what it is....and you're right, there IS a lot of stigma around mental illness.

I have family members on depression meds and I would trust them with my kids..both great mothers themselves....but then I know then very well...reeeeealy well...and for me that would be key.
Don't be angry that some people feel this way...it is what it is...

Last edited by purehuman; 12-15-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting