Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't make a decision one way or the other based solely on a diagnosis of depression. I'd pay attention to the persons's affect, demeanor, energy level, speech, etc. After all, many ailments are never even diagnosed, and how would I know about it even if they were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 01:24 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,629 times
No. Years ago, when a good friend told me that when she babysat for a neighbor's small children, she gave them a dose of Nyquil so they would go to sleep for the rest of the night. I remembered that years later when I had my own daughter, and although she was a good friend and most likely wouldn't have done something like that to a newborn, I didn't trust her to watch my daughter - ever.

Of course one never knows what medications someone is taking, but if they have openly stated they are on anti-depressants, I would not consider them suitable.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:44 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
Wow! I am surprised by the reactions here. I know many people on antidepressants (or are in therapy for depression) who are completely functional, normal people and would have absolutely no hesitation having them watch my children. Not to mention there are probably many people in my life who are on antidepressants that I don't know about.

For me it would not be a depression vs. no depression issue...more about is this person responsible, does she have good references/experience, does she seem good with kids, etc.

I am not in the business of asking people about their medical conditions/medicines they take.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Had this conversation with my wife (and a few friends) recently. I dont think I am out of bounds in saying "ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!!!".

Two ladies I know offered their services to us but both are open about their battle with depression and having been prescribed anti depression meds. Both seem to be nice, but I cannot ever see under any circumstances to hire, even for a few hours someone who takes anti depression (prozac, zoloft, celexa, ritalin, etc.) pills.

Would any of you hire someone like this to care for your child(ren) 10 years old and under?
Would you rather your child be cared for by someone with depression that isn't undergoing treatment. This is the reason mental illness has such a stigma.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Wow- good luck finding any sitter or nanny with any life experience who hasn't ben on depression meds at some point in their lives. Also please consider many people suffer from depression but exactly because some people hold such antiquated notions, DO NOT seek help or meds. This is the kind of person I would worry about most. Also do you know how many TEACHERS, Bus Drivers, Preachers, DOCTORS and NURSES, Politicians, on and on are on meds for depression.

A Nanny should be hired for experience with children, educational background, references, driving safety and so many other criteria way before what kind of meds she takes.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:59 PM

52 posts, read 48,767 times
Don't hire a nanny at all.

Be their parent

Old 05-27-2016, 02:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
No. Years ago, when a good friend told me that when she babysat for a neighbor's small children, she gave them a dose of Nyquil so they would go to sleep for the rest of the night. I remembered that years later when I had my own daughter, and although she was a good friend and most likely wouldn't have done something like that to a newborn, I didn't trust her to watch my daughter - ever.

Of course one never knows what medications someone is taking, but if they have openly stated they are on anti-depressants, I would not consider them suitable.
What does this have to do with depression and associated meds?

Old 05-27-2016, 02:01 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
Okay, I am really wondering how this works for the "no, never." posters. Does this "not for any age child" go for *all* adults who might take care of your children (teachers, coaches, club/troop/whatever leaders, kids' friends' parents, etc.) or just babysitters? I mean, how would you even go about finding out what medications any of those people take?! I cannot imagine any circumstance in which it would be appropriate to ask an adult whom I entrusted with the care of my kids what prescriptions they take.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
This thread is terrifying in its ignorance. The reality is that a child is FAR more likely to be harmed by a male friend/relative/coach than by a woman who acknowledges she has and is treating her depression.

Knowing the real dangers to our children is key. There is no place for hysteria in parenting.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:15 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Wow! I am surprised by the reactions here. I know many people on antidepressants (or are in therapy for depression) who are completely functional, normal people and would have absolutely no hesitation having them watch my children. Not to mention there are probably many people in my life who are on antidepressants that I don't know about.

For me it would not be a depression vs. no depression issue...more about is this person responsible, does she have good references/experience, does she seem good with kids, etc.

I am not in the business of asking people about their medical conditions/medicines they take.
Exactly. Frankly, someone who is forthright about being treated for mild to moderate depression (whether it is talk therapy or meds or more likely both) is a significantly lower risk than many other categories of people, including people who are glued to texting others and oblivious to what my child is doing. If a person's references check out (with numerous other people who have used that person's service, whose opinions I trust), then I see no problem whatsoever.

Having said that, I would be more concerned about someone with bipolar disorder, because I had a good friend who has this disorder and he would sometimes purposely go off his meds because he felt like he was more productive when he was manic (though an outsider would disagree with his assessment).

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-27-2016 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting