Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:17 PM

569 posts, read 552,313 times

Advertisements

Mostly, the children are more comfortable in the feminine auras. The hassel looks of male would scare them. So normally, a master of the richer household hires servants to look after his kids. A master had too much to worry, and had to look tough for the business sakes. The richer ones would have servant(s), maids, nanny or nannies. Either ways, they were all the feminine presences to kids. That was the rule: the feminine presences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 06:34 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It has nothing to do with attitude, and everything to do with facts and statistics.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but it would be very interesting to create another thread asking whether parents would rather have a male that they know well to care for their young child, or a female that they don't know at all (leave depression and other issues out of it). According to "facts and statistics," the unknown woman is apparently the correct choice across the board. I can't say I agree, because "facts and statistics" do not tell the whole story.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:09 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
When my first child was born many years ago, my mother told me to buy a bottle of Paregoric to use when baby wouldn't go to sleep. I bought it and after reading the label, didn't consider giving it to baby. Apparently it was given to me, but I didn't like what was said on the label about using too much might cause death. I discarded the Paregoric. Why a mother would risk her baby's life after all she went through to have it, is beyond me.

I've noticed my granddaughters have never hired a sitter for their babies, but perhaps they haven't needed to.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:19 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Many many people will take care of your child over the years. You have no way of knowing what meds a person is taking or why. I personally know many professional educators who take meds for a variety of things. Including me.

I have rather ordinary anxiety and generalized depression. Most likely caused by a genetic chemical imbalance. It doesn't make me a bad person, or dangerous. Without my meds I lack energy, motivation, ability to plan, and patience. It is hard for me to accomplish much of anything without them. I started taking them when I had post partum depression. Still taking them 17 years later. I can live without them, but no one has ever given me a good reason to do so.

I'm a better parent with the meds. I'm a better human being with the meds. I can do my job with the meds. There are no side effects to speak of. I have other family members who have not had access to meds, or choose not to take them. They were/are alcoholics or are in therapy. I have nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of.

Believe me when I say, you are much better off with a child care provider who is benefiting from meds than with one who SHOULD be on meds, but isn't.

If you don't want these particular women caring for your child, fine. But find a better reason. Your current one just demonstrates your lack of education.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:25 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Yes, so long as like any other medical condition they are properly monitoring it.

Had a babysitter for my kids that had a medical ailment and that did not interfere with how well she managed the duties.

Relieved that parents are mindful and do background checks. Maybe do a background on updating your mindset about depression and the mental health stygmatism.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:36 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Is that what you mean? Or by "deeper psychological issues" you're talking about sociopathy, psychopathy, multiple personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, Bipolar I & II, social anxiety disorder, OCD, schizophrenia, PTSD, panic disorder, grief/mourning, addictions, etc., etc.?
Yes

Old 05-28-2016, 07:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
As long as the sitter is qualified and all of his/her references check out (professional and personal), properly treated depression wouldn't bother me. I can think of a dozen responsible, fully-functioning friends and relatives offhand who have taken antidepressants (myself and my husband included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
Mostly, the children are more comfortable in the feminine auras. The hassel looks of male would scare them. So normally, a master of the richer household hires servants to look after his kids. A master had too much to worry, and had to look tough for the business sakes. The richer ones would have servant(s), maids, nanny or nannies. Either ways, they were all the feminine presences to kids. That was the rule: the feminine presences.
Anecdotally, our favorite babysitter is male.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:54 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Never.

Period.

I see hiring a babysitter or nanny like looking for a wife. I want to see her medicine cabinet first. If I see meds for depression, anxiety, bi-polar... it's over.

I realize that is a harsh thing to say, but when talking about protecting my children it's just how I feel. I do hire people with such maladies without reservation. I just don't place my kids in their hands.
It's harsh, stigmatizing, and illogical. Depression is an illness, just like diabetes or high blood pressure. It is not the person's fault they have the disease. Medication is very effective in controlling it in the majority of cases. And as others have said, unless they admit it, it's quite likely you already have hired such a person. Depression affects a huge number of Americans. And guess what? A large percentage of them are also parents, and great ones at that. And they would make great sitters as well.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:36 AM

128 posts, read 102,048 times
Nope. Naw. No way. Not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's harsh, stigmatizing, and illogical. Depression is an illness, just like diabetes or high blood pressure. It is not the person's fault they have the disease. Medication is very effective in controlling it in the majority of cases. And as others have said, unless they admit it, it's quite likely you already have hired such a person. Depression affects a huge number of Americans. And guess what? A large percentage of them are also parents, and great ones at that. And they would make great sitters as well.
I once dealt with a case where a guy was bi-polar and he would every now and then 'snap' and then drug and rape his guests whether they were male or female. He of course hid that he was gay from others because he didn't want them to realize his potential interest in case he decided to slip them some Roofies--that he pretended to be straight showed that he was cold and calculating as to what he was doing. Turns out his favorite comic book was a Neil Gaiman novel where someone kept a victim locked up in a house and raped them for 'inspiration'. And no I wouldn't recommend him for a babysitter. And no he wasn't just bi-polar he was and is psychopath and was playing most everyone including his neighbors for fools.

Being sympathetic for someone's depression is a stupid reason for exposing a child to danger that could mar the child for life. Its one thing to have a depressed or bi-polar friend over for BBQ and playing with the dogs and kids to cheer them up but to leave your children to their custody, asinine.

TBH depression isn't an illness its a symptom of an illness. Saying depression is an illness is like saying a blood leaking from a hole in someone's chest is an illness--nevermind the loud bang and the piece of metal in their chest; nevermind the 3 foot sword hanging out of their back, cos Doctard sez "bleeding is an illness". Telling people that their depression is an illness is akin to making up an excuse to treat a knife wound by prescribing a 'blood cup' and a bar of soap to a stabbing victim--upon such idiocy Doctard can safely a career.

Last edited by CaptainCommander; 05-28-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 10:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommander View Post
Nope. Naw. No way. Not me.

I once dealt with a case where a guy was bi-polar and he would every now and then 'snap' and then drug and rape his guests whether they were male or female. He of course hid that he was gay from others because he didn't want them to realize his potential interest in case he decided to slip them some Roofies--that he pretended to be straight showed that he was cold and calculating as to what he was doing. Turns out his favorite comic book was a Neil Gaiman novel where someone kept a victim locked up in a house and raped them for 'inspiration'. And no I wouldn't recommend him for a babysitter. And no he wasn't just bi-polar he was and is psychopath and was playing most everyone including his neighbors for fools.

Being sympathetic for someone's depression is a stupid reason for exposing a child to danger that could mar the child for life. Its one thing to have a depressed or bi-polar friend over for BBQ and playing with the dogs and kids to cheer them up but to leave your children to their custody, asinine.

TBH depression isn't an illness its a symptom of an illness. Saying depression is an illness is like saying a blood leaking from a hole in someone's chest is an illness--nevermind the loud bang and the piece of metal in their chest; nevermind the 3 foot sword hanging out of their back, cos Doctard sez "bleeding is an illness". Telling people that their depression is an illness is like akin to making up an excuse to treat a knife wound by giving a stabbing victim a 'blood cup'.
This all has very little to do with depression.

But I'm guessing this isn't a decision you'll need to be making in any event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting