U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 07:13 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times

Advertisements

It's pretty clear to me that most if not all if the posters saying "no way" are uneducated about mental illness. Some of the comparisons are laughable, as is the assumption that you'd be able to tell right off the bat, that you were dealing with a "crazy" person.

No one has answered my question about how you would know the sitter was being treated for depression.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Apparently my rocket science skills are lacking here.

We're talking about hiring a babysitter; someone who can watch the children when the parents are at work, or out for the evening. A babysitter is not The Teacher.

Everyone can choose a babysitter, but the schools choose which teachers to hire. I'm a bit confused about why a discussion about babysitters on drugs has been connected to professionals who work in education. What's the connection?
They both work with your children, and, according to some here, could crack at any moment and kill your child. What's not to understand?

Old 05-29-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I think I'll go with the point that we are discussing the hiring of a babysitter/nanny who requires daily medication to manage psychological problems. To that, I say absolutely no way.

Regarding women who suffer post-partum depression, there are documented cases where women murder their children due to postpartum depression. On that basis, I would say that anyone who is that severely depressed should have help with the care of their own child(ren).
Why would someone with ppd choose a job where she'd be around other kids?

For every one of those cases, there are tens of thousands of mildly depressed people who function normally every day.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:45 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,792,553 times
Quote:
Everyone has a choice when selecting a babysitter. Given the choice of finding a happy, healthy, active, vibrant, enthusiastic, energetic, and psychologically balanced babysitter versus an emotionally unhealthy babysitter, how can there be any debate?
Agreed that it's certainly best to hire a happy and healthy, active enthusiastic babysitter.

Just FYI: many people treated for depression with medications ARE happy, healthy, active, and enthusiastic. That's what treatment is for! To give the person back the quality of life they had BEFORE they felt depressed.

Sometimes a person can take medications for 6 months to a year, get out of the depression and wean off the medication once they are not longer depressed (depression usually does not last indefinitely).
Others may take a low to medium dose of their antidepressant medications indefinitely to ensure that they don't slip BACK into a depression again.

But again, to be clear: that's the point. Someone taking antidepressant medications actually should NOT be depressed now. If they are, the medications aren't working properly.

(I'd be more worried about depressed people who are NOT taking medications/getting treatment).

Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
They both work with your children, and, according to some here, could crack at any moment and kill your child. What's not to understand?
Again, it should be obvious, but: people with depression (or any other mental illness actually) do not have a higher incidence of violence than the general population.
Someone with depression is not going to "kill your child". There is no correlation between depression and murder.

The only subset of mentally ill people who have a higher incidence of violence/crime is substance/drug/alcohol abusers. For sure I would try not to hire a drug/alcohol abuser to watch my child. That would be a risk.

In addition, there is no correlation between depression and other mental illnesses: someone with clinical depression is NOT bipolar, or schizophrenic, or have antisocial personality disorder, and is no more likely to have those illnesses.

The only exception to this is anxiety. Many/not all of those who struggle with depression also struggle with some anxiety (but then again...who doesn't?)

Old 05-29-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Again, it should be obvious, but: people with depression (or any other mental illness actually) do not have a higher incidence of violence than the general population.
Someone with depression is not going to "kill your child". There is no correlation between depression and murder.

The only subset of mentally ill people who have a higher incidence of violence/crime is substance/drug/alcohol abusers. For sure I would try not to hire a drug/alcohol abuser to watch my child. That would be a risk.

In addition, there is no correlation between depression and other mental illnesses: someone with clinical depression is NOT bipolar, or schizophrenic, or have antisocial personality disorder, and is no more likely to have those illnesses.

The only exception to this is anxiety. Many/not all of those who struggle with depression also struggle with some anxiety (but then again...who doesn't?)
Ya I know. I was speaking only to the comparison of sitters to teachers.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:46 AM

13,342 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
No. Years ago, when a good friend told me that when she babysat for a neighbor's small children, she gave them a dose of Nyquil so they would go to sleep for the rest of the night. I remembered that years later when I had my own daughter, and although she was a good friend and most likely wouldn't have done something like that to a newborn, I didn't trust her to watch my daughter - ever.

Of course one never knows what medications someone is taking, but if they have openly stated they are on anti-depressants, I would not consider them suitable.
So did this woman also take anti-depressants? Is that what we are to assume because you don't actually say so.

I guess if someone is on ANY medication, even antibiotics don't hire them because they could give THAT to your child? Just explain your reasoning.

And to OP, please don't hire someone taking Midol because that could mean they are PMSing and THAT could mean they have major hormonal issues and we've all heard about those women killing their kids in the midst of post partum depression and that can last for years and years. Maybe only hire women who are menopausal to get around all of that issue.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:52 AM

5,627 posts, read 4,633,030 times
Im a nanny and i have NEVER been asked about any medications i may take or mental illness.

Technically Nannying falls under Equal Opportunity like any other job. Its a job like any other with a paycheck and taxes.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Im a nanny and i have NEVER been asked about any medications i may take or mental illness.

Technically Nannying falls under Equal Opportunity like any other job. Its a job like any other with a paycheck and taxes.
Very true.
In all honesty, it would be illegal to discriminate in hiring a nanny for any protected reason, including medical history/"disability", including any mental health issues or disabilities.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:24 PM

4,752 posts, read 2,177,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I'm not familiar with teachers who are prone to killing students, and I'm not familiar with school board hiring practices where parents are involved in the hiring process. If parents are hiring teachers, by all means parents should screen for mental illness.

However, I don't understand what hiring practices in school boards have to do with hiring a babysitter.

Is the point that parents have no say regarding what teachers are hired, and therefore parents should hire a babysitter who is medicated for depression?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or