U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 06:35 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Glad it worked for you. Still doesn't mean the children of those who use sitters are less important to their parents than those who don't use sitters.

The topic is depression. No need to pull out the high horse.
Oops
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 06:37 PM

3,413 posts, read 2,893,826 times
Reading through all the replies now. Im glad that I am not the only one here who would not put the health/safety/well being of my kids in the hands of someone battling a mental disease that requires Rx drugs.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:38 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Reading through all the replies now. Im glad that I am not the only one here who would not put the health/safety/well being of my kids in the hands of someone battling a mental disease that requires Rx drugs.
Again, how would you know?

Old 05-29-2016, 06:48 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,660,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
We rarely if ever used babysitters. Our children were that important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
And again, I'll ask the question you haven't or won't answer.

What if your spouse takes psych meds? What if you do? Or your parents or your sibling?

Where do you draw the line?

Old 05-29-2016, 06:54 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,061,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post

What if your spouse takes psych meds? What if you do? Or your parents or your sibling?

I am wondering the same thing. I am also wondering if this goes for all people whose hands you would put your kids in, such as teachers and coaches, or just babysitters.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:22 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,605,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post

And what would you do if the person you hired later developed depression and began taking antidepressants to treat it? Would that be grounds for dismissal?

Old 05-29-2016, 07:26 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,792,553 times
I am wondering what is all the fear of depression? And - all the more so - depression "requiring psychiatric medications"? (the horrors!)

Lots of people have depression and mask it, certainly at work.
Again, someone on meds for depression will likely NOT have symptoms of depression and will NOT be depressed anymore (that's why they take meds after all!)

People with depression are not "dangerous", are not more irresponsible, are not lazy/less hard-working, are not psychopaths.

Honestly, I don't see where all the fear about people with depression is coming from...

I can see not wanting to leave your kid with a schizophrenic/someone not based in reality/delusional, etc.
But a little depression? Or anxiety? I don't really see the issue here.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:31 PM

5,496 posts, read 3,352,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Again, it would be illegal under the ADA act to discriminate in hiring due to mental illness or any other disability.
This law applies to employers with over fifteen employees, and a few other groups. It would certainly not be illegal for parents to discriminate in hiring a babysitter/nanny because of a disability.

"How would you know" if someone has a certain condition or takes a certain medication? Obviously, you would not know unless you asked and they told the truth. Of course, they might lie or you might nor ask about that particular thing. How would you know if your babysitter was an alcoholic? You might not know, unless you came home one day and found her passed out on the couch. You would hardly be the first person to find out such a thing after the fact.

The question is not "how would you know," but "what if you did know."

Last edited by saibot; 05-29-2016 at 07:40 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 08:08 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Glad it worked for you. Still doesn't mean the children of those who use sitters are less important to their parents than those who do use sitters.

The topic is depression. No need to pull out the high horse.

There is no need for you to straddle a low horse, my dear. Sitters are just absolute last resorts for some of us. And if forced/ necessary to utilize one, we would only hire the cream of the crop. Mental issues? Too much risk involved.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:22 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
There is no need for you to straddle a low horse, my dear. Sitters are just absolute last resorts for some of us. And if forced/ necessary to utilize one, we would only hire the cream of the crop. Mental issues? Too much risk involved.
1) I am not your dear.

2) Your attempts at some imagined superiority are really irrelevant considering that sitters are not alone in their potential for depression. Many parents themselves deal with depression. Kids could potentially be with a sitter with no depression and a mother who has depression. Then what? Who cares more, the parents with or without depression? How on earth can we assert superiority in that case? .....

*For the record, I believe people who are dealing with their issues are generally perfectly capable.

My guess is, if one is going by risk alone, driving around town carries more risk than a caregiver who is actively dealing with their depression. Consider that - do you also avoid driving because it carries too much risk?

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-29-2016 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or