Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 08:34 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,886,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Very good question!
To those people I ask: what if your nanny developed depression as a RESULT of working with YOUR child? (haha)
Anyone who develops depression due to their job tasks needs to find another job. A job that causes depression is not a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 08:44 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,743,286 times
All these "never!" people are funny. Perhaps some of them are planning on homeschooling, but I'm sure not all of them are.

Something like 60% of my kids daycare teachers, preschool / pre-K teachers, and elementary school teachers were on some sort of medication for either depression, anxiety, adhd, or related. It's just a fact of life. They were all wonderful teachers and caretakers.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
All these "never!" people are funny. Perhaps some of them are planning on homeschooling, but I'm sure not all of them are.

Something like 60% of my kids daycare teachers, preschool / pre-K teachers, and elementary school teachers were on some sort of medication for either depression, anxiety, adhd, or related. It's just a fact of life. They were all wonderful teachers and caretakers.
Nannies provide child care, not education - what I mean is that typically nannies and babysitters provide child care (historically, nannies provided education).

Old 05-28-2016, 09:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,182,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Absolutely not! Young children thrive in environments that are psychologically healthy, structured, predictable, and stable. People who have psychological problems to the extent that they require daily medication to manage those problems should not be around children. I would not take that risk with my own children - ever.
Really? Not even their own mothers who are being treated for postpartum depression?

Old 05-28-2016, 09:08 PM

22,281 posts, read 11,769,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Yes, so long as like any other medical condition they are properly monitoring it.

Had a babysitter for my kids that had a medical ailment and that did not interfere with how well she managed the duties.

Relieved that parents are mindful and do background checks. Maybe do a background on updating your mindset about depression and the mental health stygmatism.
The bolded above^^^^

This topic made me think about a co-worker whose husband was being treated for depression. Despite being on the meds, he tried to commit suicide. Apparently, from what the co-worker told me, he hadn't had a doctor regularly monitoring him because they recently moved. After his suicide attempt, he spent over a month in a psychiatric hospital plus he found a good doctor. This time, his meds were regularly monitored and he was also in therapy.

The sad thing was that once their kids' friends' families found out about his suicide attempt, they wouldn't let their kids visit. The thing is, he was never a violent person to begin with.

I mention this story because if the nanny is on depression meds and sees her doctor regularly, it shouldn't be a problem. Asking the nanny if she regularly sees her doctor, I don't think is inappropriate. If she is responsible and takes care of her health, that's definitely a plus.

Either way, it's a good idea to do a thorough background check on anyone you are considering hiring. Years ago, I read that people spend more time deciding what car to buy than they do choosing child care

Old 05-28-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Really? Not even their own mothers who are being treated for postpartum depression?
I think I'll go with the point that we are discussing the hiring of a babysitter/nanny who requires daily medication to manage psychological problems. To that, I say absolutely no way.

Regarding women who suffer post-partum depression, there are documented cases where women murder their children due to postpartum depression. On that basis, I would say that anyone who is that severely depressed should have help with the care of their own child(ren).

Old 05-28-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The bolded above^^^^

This topic made me think about a co-worker whose husband was being treated for depression. Despite being on the meds, he tried to commit suicide. Apparently, from what the co-worker told me, he hadn't had a doctor regularly monitoring him because they recently moved. After his suicide attempt, he spent over a month in a psychiatric hospital plus he found a good doctor. This time, his meds were regularly monitored and he was also in therapy.

The sad thing was that once their kids' friends' families found out about his suicide attempt, they wouldn't let their kids visit. The thing is, he was never a violent person to begin with.

I mention this story because if the nanny is on depression meds and sees her doctor regularly, it shouldn't be a problem. Asking the nanny if she regularly sees her doctor, I don't think is inappropriate. If she is responsible and takes care of her health, that's definitely a plus.

Either way, it's a good idea to do a thorough background check on anyone you are considering hiring. Years ago, I read that people spend more time deciding what car to buy than they do choosing child care
Everyone has a choice when selecting a babysitter. Given the choice of finding a happy, healthy, active, vibrant, enthusiastic, energetic, and psychologically balanced babysitter versus an emotionally unhealthy babysitter, how can there be any debate?

Old 05-28-2016, 09:22 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,464,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Wow! I am surprised by the reactions here. I know many people on antidepressants (or are in therapy for depression) who are completely functional, normal people and would have absolutely no hesitation having them watch my children. Not to mention there are probably many people in my life who are on antidepressants that I don't know about.

For me it would not be a depression vs. no depression issue...more about is this person responsible, does she have good references/experience, does she seem good with kids, etc.

I am not in the business of asking people about their medical conditions/medicines they take.
Exactly.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:32 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,743,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Nannies provide child care, not education - what I mean is that typically nannies and babysitters provide child care (historically, nannies provided education).
Preschool / pre-K / elementary school teachers all provide childcare in addition to education. People don't generally attend school with their children or send the nannies in order to provide the childcare while the children are being educated. If your children go to school under the age of 10, they will most certainly be cared for by someone on medication for depression / anxiety / adhd. The only way to truly prevent this is to homeschool, and never send your kid to any parents night out / summer day camp / vacation bible school, etc.

Come on, this isn't rocket science. Don't pretend that you don't understand.

Last edited by pkbab5; 05-28-2016 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Preschool / pre-K / elementary school teachers all provide childcare in addition to education. People don't generally attend school with their children or send the nannies in order to provide the childcare while the children are being educated. If your children go to school under the age of 10, they will most certainly be cared for by someone on medication for depression / anxiety / adhd. The only way to truly prevent this is to homeschool, and never send your kid to any parents night out / summer day camp / vacation bible school, etc.

Come on, this isn't rocket science. Don't pretend that you don't understand.
Apparently my rocket science skills are lacking here.

We're talking about hiring a babysitter; someone who can watch the children when the parents are at work, or out for the evening. A babysitter is not The Teacher.

Everyone can choose a babysitter, but the schools choose which teachers to hire. I'm a bit confused about why a discussion about babysitters on drugs has been connected to professionals who work in education. What's the connection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting