Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:24 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times

Advertisements

When you become a parent to your own child you'll realise it's not that you're creating the sort of person you want, you're unwrapping the person you've got.

If you want to get to know this child, see her more often than every two weeks, and don't oressure her when you're with her. Let her come to you. One trick is to sit down on the floor and read a children's book to yourself, out loud, but not too loud. Often a cautious child will inch closer to look.

Different personalities have different advantages. This isn't a child who'll be climbing into the gorilla enclosure, although she might drive her parents crazy with clinginess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 10:25 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
My god, she's not even two! Leave the poor kid alone!

Old 06-03-2016, 10:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Kids go through stages where they're shy and fearful of strangers, or where they cling to one parent and ignore the other parent. Some toddlers also take a while to become comfortable in different surroundings. You may not be visiting with her long enough for her to feel comfortable exploring her surroundings. Depending on where you're visiting with her, it may not be childproofed and her parents may be hanging onto her so she doesn't get into things she shouldn't.

My nephew is about to turn one and he's very shy around me and doesn't want me to hold him. He likes his cousins and our pets and even my husband (who doesn't want to hold anyone else's baby, ever). I think he doesn't like me right now because I look and sound too much like his mommy and it confuses him.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:39 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
As someone who was both a shy person in childhood and rearing a child who was shy, It takes a bit of prodding to overcome the social interaction dimension.

Its how the person is approached, leading them to water so to speak instead of throwing the water on their heads. I've seen the "forced" to be social aspect by some relatives and it rarely gets met with welcoming actions. I guided and learned to respect the persons space..

Part is the phase for the child to trust the environment and its part the environment warning the child. They are intuitive in nature and sometimes that needs to be respected.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:15 AM

217 posts, read 247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
My god, she's not even two! Leave the poor kid alone!
DING DING DING. Finally someone with the correct answer

Old 06-03-2016, 11:57 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
19 month olds very commonly have high amounts of separation anxiety and stranger anxiety. Clingy toddlers are normal. A shy 19 month old who is grumpy with strangers is not something that sends up my "worry" flag. Especially if they are active and playful at home and with other kids.

At this age, things that send up worry flags are things like not talking at all or very few words, trouble with motor skills, or trouble with making eye contact or relating to caregivers (such as mom or dad). If you see any of those sorts of things, it might be worth bringing it up to mom and seeing what she says. They screen for those at well visits with the pediatrician too. But shyness and grumpiness? Nah, that's fine.
Ok, thanks. I'm not a parent. I don't know what's normal and at what age.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Ok, thanks. I'm not a parent. I don't know what's normal and at what age.
I am sure your concern is appreciated, but as all the posters have said the poor girl is not even 2. She is her own person and may not fit into normal. She probably isn't grumpy, just uncomfortable.

It is very hard even as a parent to have a child you don't fully understand. My son is this child. He is very introverted and doesn't like talking to strangers. Everyone else in our family is outgoing loves meeting new people, doing new things. He is completely the opposite. As a parent I have to understand him and let him be who he is and celebrate that!

Old 06-03-2016, 02:09 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Okay, it's not a bad thing to be shy. I can be pretty shy. What is concerning is how she seemed grumpy the entire time. I couldn't tell if it was because she is shy or if she doesn't like us. My mom is convinced she doesn't like her and is worried that she's not laughing and smiling like most toddlers. I think my mom is just concerned my niece will grow up to be rude and closed off. Every time I see my niece she seems unhappy but maybe she's just shy. I can't tell ya know?
My son is shy around people he doesn't see very often (like weekly). What may help for you is facetime. His aunt (who lives 1/2 way around the country) facetimes him once a week and talks to him on the phone every few days. He's not remotely shy around her (but is around other adults, even the grandparents he sees once or twice a month).

Old 06-03-2016, 03:16 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
Quote:
My 19 month old niece is terribly shy. My brother says she's loud and runs around the house when she's at home and she'll play with other kids. But when she's around other adults, she gets painfully shy. We had breakfast with her the other day and she wouldn't even look at us (everyone but my brother). I sat with her in the backseat to play with her but she just looked bored and grumpy the entire time. My mom sees her about every two weeks and she's still closed off to my family. When we're around she'll cling onto my brother and he can't even put her down. I hung out with them the whole day and I didn't see her smile or make a peep the entire time unless I wasn't around to see or hear it while my brother played with her. I asked what would happen if my brother put her down and let her cry. I don't know if that might be a bad thing since you don't want your kid to not trust you to be there for them at a young age. From what I hear she's very stubborn and has a bad temper.

My mom thinks my brother and his gf doesn't take my niece out enough and doesn't interact or read to her. I hear my niece's mom puts Sesame Street on the entire day and leaves her alone with the TV. She doesn't read to her, sing to her, play with her, take her to story time or the park.

I'm not the parent so there isn't much I can do. I'm wondering if my niece will grow out of this extreme shyness? I'm a bit worried about her if she doesn't grow out of it. Maybe she'll grow out of it when she's in school (dear God I hope the mom doesn't decide to home school her) and interact with teachers. The only thing I can do is try and understand her situation. Any insight is welcomed.
19 months is still a baby. Just leave her alone - she needs her parents; she doesn't need to interact with strangers or people she hardly knows. Let the parents raise their own children. In time she will probably become much less "shy." And do her and her parents a favor and don't use that word - it labels kids, and kids change a lot and often and don't need labels to hold them back.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Kids go through stages where they're shy and fearful of strangers, or where they cling to one parent and ignore the other parent. Some toddlers also take a while to become comfortable in different surroundings. You may not be visiting with her long enough for her to feel comfortable exploring her surroundings. Depending on where you're visiting with her, it may not be childproofed and her parents may be hanging onto her so she doesn't get into things she shouldn't.

My nephew is about to turn one and he's very shy around me and doesn't want me to hold him. He likes his cousins and our pets and even my husband (who doesn't want to hold anyone else's baby, ever). I think he doesn't like me right now because I look and sound too much like his mommy and it confuses him.
I noticed that with my sister's children, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting