U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:04 AM

438 posts, read 1,360,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
And we wonder why it becomes an epidemic, burdens the health care system, and then clamoring for a subsidy for healthcare later on in life! Maybe it's time these parents change their eating habits and not pass on the curse of their ignorance to the generation of the future! Educating parents as to what is good for their child to me does not constitute meddling in other people's lives...forcing people to do it is.
Right. Let's educate these parents, not insult them behind their backs because it makes you feel like a superior parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 01:05 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,685,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Right. Let's educate these parents, not insult them behind their backs because it makes you feel like a superior parent.
How do you teach common sense? Veggies = good. French fries = bad. Do tell... It's a lifestyle and not a question of what people know (and again, I'm not referring to individuals w/ medical conditions that causes them to be overweight).

No one is insulting anyone on this board with the exception of your post.

We, as parents, have a basic responsibility to help our kids live and be well - many of us are FAILING at giving our children the fundamental right to a healthy life. I see no issue, whatsoever, at calling a spade a spade. Overweight/obese parents (or any parent who puts their childs life at risk for that matter) who do not put forth the effort to change their ways for the sake of their children are doing all of us a disservice but especially their own children. If you see this as "tearing someone down" then so be it. I simply know too many kids with potbellies to care about the feelings of their parents.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
How do you teach common sense? Veggies = good. French fries = bad. Do tell... It's a lifestyle and not a question of what people know (and again, I'm not referring to individuals w/ medical conditions that causes them to be overweight).

No one is insulting anyone on this board with the exception of your post.

We, as parents, have a basic responsibility to help our kids live and be well - many of us are FAILING at giving our children the fundamental right to a healthy life. I see no issue, whatsoever, at calling a spade a spade. Overweight/obese parents (or any parent who puts their childs life at risk for that matter) who do not put forth the effort to change their ways for the sake of their children are doing all of us a disservice but especially their own children. If you see this as "tearing someone down" then so be it. I simply know too many kids with potbellies to care about the feelings of their parents.
How is "Let's not insult people to make ourselves feel better" insulting? And unless you are a social worker or government-appointed parenting police I do not feel you (meaning you in general, not you personally) have the right or responsibility to tell others how to raise their children except in cases of physical or sexual abuse or neglect. You (again, a general reference) may think giving a kid a french fry is equal to abuse. Someone else may think depriving a child of the simple childhood pleasure of going to a McDonald's is abuse. There are so many other things that are more important than french fries.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:33 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,993,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnR View Post
The other one that gets me is Starbucks! We have one in our Albertsons grocery store and I see little kids running around with coffee ices and.... well, I don't even know what they are because I don't drink Starbucks but it seems wrong to get your kid all hyped up on sugar and caffeine
Im one of those moms that takes my kid to Starbucks occasionally. They have special drinks for kiddies with no caffeine, and easy sugar. Like I said, we only go occassionally and it's no different then buying your kid an ice cream cone.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:12 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,685,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
How is "Let's not insult people to make ourselves feel better" insulting? And unless you are a social worker or government-appointed parenting police I do not feel you (meaning you in general, not you personally) have the right or responsibility to tell others how to raise their children except in cases of physical or sexual abuse or neglect. You (again, a general reference) may think giving a kid a french fry is equal to abuse. Someone else may think depriving a child of the simple childhood pleasure of going to a McDonald's is abuse. There are so many other things that are more important than french fries.
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. If I have to explain myself over again (which I'm not going to do) then my discussion with you is pointless. You seem to be taking this personally as "...right. Let's educate these parents, not insult them behind their backs because it makes you feel like a superior parent..." would strongly suggest. THAT'S an insult and it's assuming that those whose opinions you don't agree with are sanctimonious. So let's not throw stones... shall we?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. If I have to explain myself over again (which I'm not going to do) then my discussion with you is pointless. You seem to be taking this personally as "...right. Let's educate these parents, not insult them behind their backs because it makes you feel like a superior parent..." would strongly suggest. THAT'S an insult and it's assuming that those whose opinions you don't agree with are sanctimonious. So let's not throw stones... shall we?
Obviously you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say. I don't think we need to insult one another because we disagree. I will not resort to personal attacks or belittling remarks. What I am saying is that we should not insult others because their opinions differ from ours. If someone wants to give their kids fries, whatever. If someone feels very strongly against fries, whatever. What originally bothered me was the accusatory tone of the OP.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 AM

934 posts, read 931,803 times
I see absolutely no problem with letting your kids have a happy meal once or twice a month.

every week- no- but as a treat? come on...let them be kids. My kids have eaten an orchards worth of fruit! they can have a french fry every now and then!

If it makes me a 'bad' parent- tough cookies! (yes, they get cookies too!)

I'm sure none of these parents indulge in oreos and milk after kids are in bed. Or cheesecake after a nice dinner. Or a nice big juicy hamburger with steak fries..... ohhhh noooooo. not perfect parents!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 AM

395 posts, read 1,792,115 times
I let our 4 year old have a McDonald's happy meal with milk every Saturday for lunch. He doesn't even like the hamburgers, he just eats the fries and drinks the milk. He likes the toy, the box, and the little wipe he gets the best. It is the only fast food he gets, and he's never even tried soda. We treated our teenagers once a week at McDonald's when they were little, too. Now they hate McDonald's, because they know how unhealthy it is. None of my kids are overweight, either.

I really wouldn't assume that just because a family was in McDonald's they ate fast food regularly.

Thank goodness I buy that happy meal from the drive-thru, maybe next time I'll wear a hat and sunglasses, too.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:41 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
I see it very often I go to McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Burger King, and other Greasy Fast food restaurants, Obese mothers feeding their Small Children (age 1 to 5) Fryes, Double meat burgers, or Extra Large Milkshakes. WHY!?
Children under 5 should not eat this kind of food often. This parents teach their children bad habits and eating disorders at a very young age. By the time these children are 5 or 6 they are already overweight just because the parents cant be responsible enough to feed them right.

And just how often are YOU eating at those restaurants? Hello pot, meet kettle?? Let me guess, you order a salad and a diet coke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
I let our 4 year old have a McDonald's happy meal with milk every Saturday for lunch. He doesn't even like the hamburgers, he just eats the fries and drinks the milk. He likes the toy, the box, and the little wipe he gets the best. It is the only fast food he gets, and he's never even tried soda. We treated our teenagers once a week at McDonald's when they were little, too. Now they hate McDonald's, because they know how unhealthy it is. None of my kids are overweight, either.

I really wouldn't assume that just because a family was in McDonald's they ate fast food regularly.

Thank goodness I buy that happy meal from the drive-thru, maybe next time I'll wear a hat and sunglasses, too.

Thanks for bringing back the memory. Every Friday, my dad would take us to McDonald's for dinner. My parents were divorced when I was very young, they were very young, and this was our routine every Friday night when he picked us up from the babysitter's. Chicken nuggets with honey, small fries, and strawberry milkshake-I got the same thing every week. If I eat McD's once a month now it's a lot and forget those shakes...YUCK.

Sssshhhhh-don't tell anyone, but I've let my 2 year old have a chicken nugget from Wendy's.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Sssshhhhh-don't tell anyone, but I've let my 2 year old have a chicken nugget from Wendy's.
I'm reporting you to the mommy SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting