Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:38 AM

409 posts, read 2,634,124 times

Advertisements

I see it very often I go to McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Burger King, and other Greasy Fast food restaurants, Obese mothers feeding their Small Children (age 1 to 5) Fryes, Double meat burgers, or Extra Large Milkshakes. WHY!?
Children under 5 should not eat this kind of food often. This parents teach their children bad habits and eating disorders at a very young age. By the time these children are 5 or 6 they are already overweight just because the parents cant be responsible enough to feed them right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 12:13 PM

307 posts, read 2,507,772 times
I know it's sad. I see parents like that a lot...on the train instead of feeding the baby milk, they put soda in the milk bottle? And instead of cheerios they feed their kids Doritos??? But I think they just dont know any better. They probably grew up the same way?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:41 PM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 850,764 times
The other one that gets me is Starbucks! We have one in our Albertsons grocery store and I see little kids running around with coffee ices and.... well, I don't even know what they are because I don't drink Starbucks but it seems wrong to get your kid all hyped up on sugar and caffeine

Old 02-15-2008, 12:51 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
How can you be so quick to judge? You have no idea what the family's habits are beyond what you're seeing at that moment.

How do you know that those parents don't take their kids to a fast food place, or give their kids Doritos, once or twice a month as a treat?

Any food is OK in moderation. Kids who learn that will go a long way toward being healthy adults.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:35 PM

307 posts, read 2,507,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How can you be so quick to judge? You have no idea what the family's habits are beyond what you're seeing at that moment.

How do you know that those parents don't take their kids to a fast food place, or give their kids Doritos, once or twice a month as a treat?

Any food is OK in moderation. Kids who learn that will go a long way toward being healthy adults.

I disagree with that. If you teach your child certain food habits, they will continue till they adults. And then might change their habits if it's not to late. Im not saying don't give your child any treats, but at least some healthy ones. And honestly.... I really dont think they give their kids soda (for a 2 year old ) and Doritos once in a while...soda might be cheaper than formula. I guess that got alot to do with it too.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:23 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
I was in Target the other day and saw an obese couple pushing their "little" girl in the shopping cart. As they were pushing the cart they were feeding her what looked to be like potato salad... I mean I can see feeding a child a snack but... this just looked odd. I felt really bad for her as she was unusually plump for her age and her parents... geesh - I doubt that both mother and father became obese because of their genes.

Honestly, I don't really care if someone is overweight. It's really none of my business to judge. However, it bothers me when I see fat parents with fat kids. How many years are their childrens lives being shorten because they don't know how to teach their kids to eat right? This is basic parenting... if one can't even offer healthy foods then why have kids? Why have children just to pork them out like pigs? The health implications are brutal for these innocent victims of their parents poor judgement. Kids depend on us to teach them to take care of themselves - brush your teeth, take a bath, exercise, read, eat healthy foods - if this is difficult, then some people should seriously reconsider having kids. There's no excuse for depriving children of a healthy lifestyle.

I realize that some people have medical conditions and are predisposed to being obese but I'm not talking about them...

Old 02-15-2008, 03:55 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
I see it very often I go to McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Burger King, and other Greasy Fast food restaurants, Obese mothers feeding their Small Children (age 1 to 5) Fryes, Double meat burgers, or Extra Large Milkshakes. WHY!?
Children under 5 should not eat this kind of food often. This parents teach their children bad habits and eating disorders at a very young age. By the time these children are 5 or 6 they are already overweight just because the parents cant be responsible enough to feed them right.
Yes! I aree! I'd like to add that parents shouldn't be feeding that to children over 5 either!

My concern is health and forming habits and concepts of eating when they become adults. Fast food and soda is soooooo bad for you.

My family eats fast food only very occasionally. We did more when I was working, like a few times a month. But generally it has been a few times a year.

Quote:
I agree with this too. Yes, because you see someone feeding their children fast food (or doing anything else that you don't approve of) doesn't mean that it is the norm for them. You may have caught them on that odd time they did.

BUT...according to Fast Food Nation, half of fast food eaters eat fast food several times a week. It is not the ONE time or the occasional time that is worrisome, it is depending on it, it is the marketing to children, it is training their tastebuds to want THAT food which is the problem.

The topic isn't about those once-in-awhile-ers, it is about the habit-formers. It is just too easy.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:03 AM

831 posts, read 1,582,598 times
I would like to say something as an overweight/obese mom. I have always been a big girl. I was the youngest and was always babied more. If I didn't eat dinner, I could get a big bowl so sweet cereal instead. Now that I am a mom, I make sure my dd doesn't eat the way I did. It started when she was first eating real foods. She got yogurt instead of Cookies and Cream ice cream, carrot sticks and apples instead of potato chips, whole wheat bread instead of white. Because of her eating this way now I do to. I have lost a lot of weight by these changes. I know that I don't eat the best and it is bad for my health, but there is now way I will be the one to make my daughter obese and unhealthy. She still gets some treats, but it is just that, a treat, not something she eats everyday.

I am now 32 week pregnant and have had GD since I was in my 3rd month. I have had to eat very low carb. I have only gained 4 pounds. But I don't have a choice in the matter. If I don't eat the way my doctor tells me it will be harmful to my baby. I will never let my bad eating hurt either one of my children.

Obese parents should know better. We all know what foods we should eat because we have all tried to loose the weight. Just because we choose to eat things we shouldn't we CAN NOT harm our children by allowing them to eat the way we do.

I take my daughter to the park all the time so she can exercise. I play for a while then I rest while she keeps playing. I take her swimming alot to, I swim for a while but let her keep playing while I lay and get some sun.

I would think overweight parents would do better with their children because they know first hand what it is like to be the chubby kid.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:35 AM

438 posts, read 1,509,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
I'm sorry, but posts like this just really make my blood boil. In my (perhaps naive) opinion, parents should support each other. It's really hard raising kids these days. Instead, we have the parenting SS out there policing the actions of other parents, watching their every move and waiting to pounce on every perceived misstep. Seriously? Don't be that woman! We all make mistakes. What one parents thinks is totally wrong, another may feel is right. I personally refuse to put my girls in dancing because the pressure to be thin leads many dancers to resort to anorexia/bulimia. That's just my choice as a parent. I won't judge any other parent who puts their kids in dancing because its not my place to do so. Yes, I'll admit it shocks me when I see someone putting soda in a bottle, so I don't do it. I'm sure members of the parenting SS have wanted to judge me because my kids occasionally have soda in public (I know! Shame on me!). What they don't know is my kids never drink soda unless we're out to eat. As far as overweight parents having overweight kids, maybe those parents don't really know how to change their own eating habits, which is why parents should help each other instead of tearing each other down.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:59 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
As far as overweight parents having overweight kids, maybe those parents don't really know how to change their own eating habits
And we wonder why it becomes an epidemic, burdens the health care system, and then clamoring for a subsidy for healthcare later on in life! Maybe it's time these parents change their eating habits and not pass on the curse of their ignorance to the generation of the future! Educating parents as to what is good for their child to me does not constitute meddling in other people's lives...forcing people to do it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting