Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:53 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Many allergists prefer you just go with the epi-pen.

I would have your medical person review that. As I said above, a lot of allergists now prefer you go right to the epi-pen. There are lots of "ifs, ands and buts" with Benadryl administration.

Yes, but if this is a first reaction, as is often the case with a young toddler in a daycare setting, then the child does not have an epi-pen. The school also probably does not have an extra epi-pen on hand because they are prescription only. In that situation, Benadryl is better than nothing while waiting for the paramedics to arrive. Benadryl can be bought by anyone at the store and kept on hand in case this situation arises.

Also, my son has what his pediatrician called a "delayed reaction". Which means it took 2 hours for his symptoms to gradually worsen to the point where they were noticeable. The doc told me not to use the epi-pen for this type of reaction, and use Benadryl instead. In fact I had to insist before he would even give me the epi-pen prescription. My allergies (to cats) are the same way. It takes a few hours being around cats for any breathing symptoms to surface, and they are very slow to develop. Benadryl is the preferred remedy, not an epi-pen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Many allergists prefer you just go with the epi-pen.

I would have your medical person review that. As I said above, a lot of allergists now prefer you go right to the epi-pen. There are lots of "ifs, ands and buts" with Benadryl administration.

From Food Allergy Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Food Allergy Treatment - eMedicineHealth:

For all other reactions, especially severe reactions, self-treatment is not recommended. Have a companion drive the person to the hospital emergency department, or call 9-1-1. Here's what to do while waiting for the ambulance:
  • Try to stay calm.
  • If it's possible to identify the cause of the reaction, prevent further exposure.
  • Give the person an antihistamine (1 to 2 tablets or capsules of diphenhydramine [Benadryl]) if they can swallow without difficulty.
  • If the person is wheezing or having difficulty breathing, have them use an inhaled bronchodilator such as albuterol (Proventil) or epinephrine (Primatene Mist) if one is available. These inhaled medications dilate the airway.
  • If the person is feeling lightheaded or faint, have them lie down and raise their legs higher than their head to help blood flow to the brain.
  • If the person has been given an epinephrine kit, they should inject themselves as they have been instructed. The kit provides a premeasured dose of epinephrine, a prescription drug that rapidly reverses the most serious symptoms (see Food Allergy Follow-up).
  • Bystanders should administer CPR to a person who becomes unconscious and stops breathing or does not have a pulse.
  • If at all possible, the person or their companion should be prepared to tell medical personnel what medications they have taken that day, what they usually take, and their allergy history.
This is exactly what I was told when I called the nurse when my son was having his delayed reaction. It was anaphylactic in that it was affecting his breathing and his heart rate, but it was very slow progressing. The nurse told me to give benedryl, and albuterol (since I had it at the house), then drive him to the ER. At the ER the doc said I did perfect, gave him a steroid, observed him for about 30 minutes, then sent us home.

At the follow up with the pediatrician, he gave us a refill for the albuterol, but balked at the suggestion of an epi-pen, saying that you don't need one for a slow reaction like that. I told him I had read that even when the first exposure to an allergen is delayed, it doesn't always mean that the next one will be. So he relented and gave me the script.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:04 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I worked with pre fives for 18 years and never had any First Aid training at all.. but we were never to give any child medicine or even a band aid ...

Old 06-13-2016, 11:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Yes, but if this is a first reaction, as is often the case with a young toddler in a daycare setting, then the child does not have an epi-pen. The school also probably does not have an extra epi-pen on hand because they are prescription only. In that situation, Benadryl is better than nothing while waiting for the paramedics to arrive. Benadryl can be bought by anyone at the store and kept on hand in case this situation arises.

Also, my son has what his pediatrician called a "delayed reaction". Which means it took 2 hours for his symptoms to gradually worsen to the point where they were noticeable. The doc told me not to use the epi-pen for this type of reaction, and use Benadryl instead. In fact I had to insist before he would even give me the epi-pen prescription. My allergies (to cats) are the same way. It takes a few hours being around cats for any breathing symptoms to surface, and they are very slow to develop. Benadryl is the preferred remedy, not an epi-pen.
Good advice for parents. For day cares, not so much.

I don't think you understand the legal issues around day care providers giving meds. This may help. Colorado Child Care Medication Administration Training

Your son's situation is a perfect example of why you shouldn't just give a medication.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Good advice for parents. For day cares, not so much.

I don't think you understand the legal issues around day care providers giving meds. This may help. Colorado Child Care Medication Administration Training

Your son's situation is a perfect example of why you shouldn't just give a medication.

True. My knowledge is from a parenting perspective, and I've never worked in a daycare lol. You're probably right.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:10 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
I realize I'm veering OT here....but we knew a paramedic who said they carry benedryl on ER runs as its often the first line of defense. If an allergic reaction is even suspected, bendryl is ordered.

Once I had a allergic reaction to..... All I can think of was, it could have been the new carpet, and I wasn't wearing shoes or socks. I started getting intense itching on my feet, then hives, which spread up my legs, torso, even into my scalp. My eyes got watery, itchy, then my throat swelled, my lips and tongue swelled.....and I was home alone. I should have called 911, but instead, I remembered the paramedic's advice. I happened to have a bottle of children's benedryl on hand, by that time, I couldn't see well, so, I just drank the whole bottle! Well, the incident passed.

I've taught my kids in doubt, call 911 AND go unlock the door. Some places won't break the door in if locked....

Just saying, Benederl is potent stuff. It used to be RX only, now its OTC, its good to keep on hand in your emergency medical supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting