Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:02 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
More importantly then just blindly voting for a certain party, if you want your school system to change, vote in your local elections. Vote for school board members who align with your education ideas, and then attend school board meetings. Be active and get involved with your local school. That way, if there are issues, you won't just seem like some random, angry parent. Your issues will be taken more seriously if you are someone the board members know and recognize as a caring member of the community.
Some people don't realize the local elections and government is basic to a good state and national government. Where do they think those super delegates in the presidential election come from--local government.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:07 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Kindergarten daughter asked me if she can marry a woman double posted

Old 06-06-2016, 08:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
[quote=CaptainNJ;44322398]Moderator cut: orphaned post
I have a wonderful long-time friend who lives not far away from you in NJ. She and her wife have a little girl.
Their normal is no different than the normal your own daughter lives with. Should either child feel otherwise when the topic of family comes up in the classroom?

Kibbiekat is correct, the only answer should have been "yes".

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-07-2016 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 08:30 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Your child will see same sex couples and telling her that yes men can marry men, women can marry other women is not going to destroy her.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:42 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Total non-issue for us. It wouldn't even phase me because I've had this talk, one that is ongoing and open, since my kids were preschoolers, and even own a few books on the diversity of the family unit.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:47 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
it would be nice if schools, especially at young ages, taught academics as a focus and parents taught personal/parenting aspects. But that ship has sailed and public education has taken on roles beyond that.

Just is what it is.

I do agree with you IMO kindergarten is too young for such issues and any sex/gender/ideological related topics should be vetted with the parents first. It just isn't fair to dump on you unprepared. But children are growing up fast nowadays so you might have to jump ahead to topics before you are ready.

My suggestion would be to talk to the teacher and find out what is behind this book reading. You may find it appropriate. Further would suggest you and your wife proactively express your views in a kid friendly way before well meaning others get there. Lastly, I suggest what a previous poster said: fine tune the 'yes there is that but this is what Mommy and I believe' talk and use that as needed for whatever topic.

FWIW my Mom did not tell me anything about anything and relied upon the school to provide sex education, health classes etc. and she was happy and even relieved when they took over that role. But I was older when the did. And while I think kindergarten is a little soon, with girls achieving menses in the 4th grade; sooner may be better.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
it would be nice if schools, especially at young ages, taught academics as a focus and parents taught personal/parenting aspects. But that ship has sailed and public education has taken on roles beyond that.

Just is what it is.

I do agree with you IMO kindergarten is too young for such issues and any sex/gender/ideological related topics should be vetted with the parents first. It just isn't fair to dump on you unprepared. But children are growing up fast nowadays so you might have to jump ahead to topics before you are ready.

My suggestion would be to talk to the teacher and find out what is behind this book reading. You may find it appropriate. Further would suggest you and your wife proactively express your views in a kid friendly way before well meaning others get there. Lastly, I suggest what a previous poster said: fine tune the 'yes there is that but this is what Mommy and I believe' talk and use that as needed for whatever topic.

FWIW my Mom did not tell me anything about anything and relied upon the school to provide sex education, health classes etc. and she was happy and even relieved when they took over that role. But I was older when the did. And while I think kindergarten is a little soon, with girls achieving menses in the 4th grade; sooner may be better.
It's a factual discussion. Can 2 ladies get married? yes, they can. That is a fact whether you like it or not. It's the law of the land. This isn't "sex ed." No one is describing the act of gay sex (or any sex) to kindergartners.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:05 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
It seems the OP's concern is that this topic was brought up by school staff.

Would there have been a problem, OP, if your daughter had come home and said, "Daddy, my friend Suzie has two mommies, and no daddy" ?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:09 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
OP: if you truly support "equality," then I don't know why you'd have a problem with the lesson plan at all.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:11 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the way i figure it, they want to be the ones to teach kids before either prejudiced parents teach their kids wrong
OP, I'd like you to dwell on that sentence for a moment. "Parents teach their kids wrong." In other words, you're saying that it's up to a teacher to decide what is right and wrong for their students, and go ahead and countermand the parents' role as the primary shaper of their children's moral worldview, if the parents don't happen to hold the "right" views.

May you never hold any views that a teacher decides are "wrong" and thus deserving of having your kids taught differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting