Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
tri·fling
ˈtrīf(ə)liNG/
adjective
unimportant or trivial.
"a trifling sum"
synonyms: trivial, unimportant, insignificant, inconsequential, petty, minor, of little/no account, of little/no consequence, footling, pettifogging, incidental;

I copied the definition for you. Here's another one you should look at.

su·pe·ri·or·i·ty com·plex
noun
an attitude of superiority that conceals actual feelings of inferiority and failure.
Trifling applies. Still, I don't think glaring at someone would be ok.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
As someone who has lived through their toddler having a total blowout, getting surprise diarrhea all over themselves and their clothes and shoes in a public place, then having to throw away their clothes, clean my child, and attempt to buy new clothes in said public place, I feel for the mom.

OP, you are waaaay off on this one.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:26 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Urban Dictionary: trifling

OP, standing in WalMart and making judgy comments out loud about someone else is just as trashy and "trifling" as bringing a baby who's wearing only a diaper.
My apologies. I should have used the Urban instead of Oxford dictionary.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:50 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
As someone who has lived through their toddler having a total blowout, getting surprise diarrhea all over themselves and their clothes and shoes in a public place, then having to throw away their clothes, clean my child, and attempt to buy new clothes in said public place, I feel for the mom.

OP, you are waaaay off on this one.
Its happened to me too. God is it a nightmare!!! Last thing you need is someone judging you or glaring at you are making nasty comments. I feel bad for the OP's son...he must have been mortified.

As an aside:
The shoes thing really bugs me. Some kids really *hate* shoes and do better without them. I have not seen one single baby picture of me (diaper age) where I was in shoes except for church shoes (going to church). It just wasnt done then. When my kids were the age of being held a lot, I rarely put shoes on them, and if I did it was Robeeze. I was given a hard time about it a few times. Not once did my kid have a foot injury as a toddler.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM

677 posts, read 933,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One time my daughter vomited all over herself when we were about to go into Walmart. She was wearing her last diaper and I needed to get medicine for her besides. I didn't have any extra clothes for her with me...at the time I had four changes of clothes for her and no dryer, so her other three outfits were hung up to dry. I washed them every day but I wasn't good at diapering yet and she spit up often, so we used all of her clothes most days. I cleaned her up and took her in the store in the diaper, with a blanket. It was night time but at least 85 degrees outside. Several people in the store told me what a horrible mother I was for bringing her into the store naked except for the diaper. Even the cashier said something to me.

So personally, I never judge people for something like that, because I've been so poor that I found myself in that situation. All you can do is try to ignore the mean things people say to you and try to get through the situation.

That mother should have carried him in the parking lot, but otherwise, do you know for sure that she had plenty of clothes for him and was just too lazy to put them on?

Ya know as a parent myself I know when having a toddler in tow situations can change quickly but there's no way I would allow my child to be barefooted in the streets or stores for fear of what he/she may step on not to mention the bacteria the child will pick up on their bare feet.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Its happened to me too. God is it a nightmare!!! Last thing you need is someone judging you or glaring at you are making nasty comments. I feel bad for the OP's son...he must have been mortified.

As an aside:
The shoes thing really bugs me. Some kids really *hate* shoes and do better without them. I have not seen one single baby picture of me (diaper age) where I was in shoes except for church shoes (going to church). It just wasnt done then. When my kids were the age of being held a lot, I rarely put shoes on them, and if I did it was Robeeze. I was given a hard time about it a few times. Not once did my kid have a foot injury as a toddler.
No shoes in the house, ok, in a stroller, ok, walking on pavements or in public places where there's dirt, bacteria, spit, & broken glass.........not ok. Evidently common sense isn't all that common.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Wow. I always thought it was customary to give a sympathetic "Hang in there" look when someone looks like they've been chewed up and spit out by their toddler. You have no idea what led up to that moment; the child could have threw up or had a diaper explosion all over clothes and shoes, and that would be the one time Mom forgot to check that there was a spare in the diaper bag.

Then mom is lacking as a mother since all attentive mothers know to expect the unexpected, we carry diaper bags with a change of clothing & baby wipes for accidents, furthermore she was right there in Walmart & could easily buy a cheap change of clothing.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Then mom is lacking as a mother since all attentive mothers know to expect the unexpected...
We agree with you that having a diaper-clad baby in the store and dragging him outside is tacky and not a great idea. But you should know that your tactics are not actually better than any other trifling Walmart woman.

You also should know better than to judge another parent since you don't have a clue what is going on in their life.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
We agree with you that having a diaper-clad baby in the store and dragging him outside is tacky and not a great idea. But you should know that your tactics are not actually better than any other trifling Walmart woman.

You also should know better than to judge another parent since you don't have a clue what is going on in their life.
I did not confront the mother, there was no disturbance brought by me, & you should know that being judgmental comes naturally, therefore if it's natural it is by nature, & isn't that exactly what you're doing to me, judging? So don't be hypocritical.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:34 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Then mom is lacking as a mother since all attentive mothers know to expect the unexpected, we carry diaper bags with a change of clothing & baby wipes for accidents, furthermore she was right there in Walmart & could easily buy a cheap change of clothing.
I didnt carry a diaper bag with extra clothes, even with they were little. Maybe she didnt have the money for an extra outfit.

-----------------
I dont have a problem with the naked kid or the moms attitude (maybe she was having a bad day) BUT the problem i have is that she didnt comfort the child who clearly was having an awful moment. Theres not much I could have said or done though in that situation.

This child is not yours, this moms problem isnt yours so stay out and keep your mouth shut unless you have something nice to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting