Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:14 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,371 times

Advertisements

There are city noise ordinances where your car can be ticketed or even impounded for excessively loud music. I don't understand the thought that the daycare has no control over noise violations on their property. It's one thing if the parent is listening to music at a normal level in their car that just happened to be overheard in passing. It's quite a different story to have it blaring and shaking the windows of every car in the parking lot. If you can avoid the music by rolling up the windows to your own car, then yes, roll them up and mind your own business. But if your ears are ringing just by walking your child to and from the door, and the music can be heard loud and clear through rolled up windows, too loud. And the owner of whatever property you are blaring your music on has every right to tell you to turn it down or leave the property. If I owned a daycare, I sure wouldn't want vulgar loud music blaring in my parking lot to scare off prospective and current families. It looks bad for business, and they can and will tell the offender to get lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 08:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Is the driver the only parent in the car? If so, that parent has to get our to take his kid inside. This would be very annoying to me, but it can't last for more than a few seconds. He drives into the lot, parks, turns car off to go inside. For this to be an ongoing issue, you'd have to arrive at the day care right at the same time as this family on a regular basis. I understand the annoyance and the concern, but I don't think it is a big enough issue to say anything about.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Just ask the parent to turn it down.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I agree it's inconsiderate, but what would you do if you were at a gas station where someone was blasting music at another pump? Stopped at a red light? Pulling weeds out front when someone drives down the street in a loud car? You'd probably go, "Wow, what a jerk" and get on with your day.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:41 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,704 times
Get yourself bigger speakers, a subwoofer and blast a Sesame Street song.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:52 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
There are city noise ordinances where your car can be ticketed or even impounded for excessively loud music. I don't understand the thought that the daycare has no control over noise violations on their property. It's one thing if the parent is listening to music at a normal level in their car that just happened to be overheard in passing. It's quite a different story to have it blaring and shaking the windows of every car in the parking lot. If you can avoid the music by rolling up the windows to your own car, then yes, roll them up and mind your own business. But if your ears are ringing just by walking your child to and from the door, and the music can be heard loud and clear through rolled up windows, too loud. And the owner of whatever property you are blaring your music on has every right to tell you to turn it down or leave the property. If I owned a daycare, I sure wouldn't want vulgar loud music blaring in my parking lot to scare off prospective and current families. It looks bad for business, and they can and will tell the offender to get lost.

Seriously? In the United States? You're going to need to back up such a wild statement.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Is the driver the only parent in the car? If so, that parent has to get our to take his kid inside. This would be very annoying to me, but it can't last for more than a few seconds. He drives into the lot, parks, turns car off to go inside. For this to be an ongoing issue, you'd have to arrive at the day care right at the same time as this family on a regular basis. I understand the annoyance and the concern, but I don't think it is a big enough issue to say anything about.
Really? The parent must get out? Is that some sort of global pre-school rule? Or is it possible it's what you're familiar with and somehow believe your experience is the benchmark for all schools everywhere?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:56 PM

This thread jumped the shark by the end of the first page. And that's an expression I thought I would never use in my lifetime.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Really? The parent must get out? Is that some sort of global pre-school rule? Or is it possible it's what you're familiar with and somehow believe your experience is the benchmark for all schools everywhere?
It's preschool, so yes, it's a reasonable assumption. Kids are in carseats. Not sure where you are where 3-4 year olds are getting themselves out of their carseats, hopping out of their cars and going into the building on their own. It's not the elementary school carpool drop off lane.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:48 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Seriously? In the United States? You're going to need to back up such a wild statement.
Residents grateful for excessive noise ordinance - News - Rockford Register Star - Rockford, IL
Quote:
A $150 fine for a first offense; $300 for a second offense; and $750 for third and subsequent offenses within two years.
That’s what violators of the city’s sound amplification ordinance pay. The fine is in addition to having your vehicle impounded and paying $194 in towing and storage fees to get it back. The ordinance is aimed at those who like to crank up their car stereos.
In 2008, the first full year of the city’s sound amplification ordinance, 305 vehicles were impounded by Rockford police. A third, or 109, of those vehicles were towed and impounded in the month of June that year.
Which is why, if there's a noise ordinance in the city the OP lives, I don't understand why the daycare "can't" do anything about it. The OP herself doesn't have any authority to demand someone turn down their music, and yeah, she could just deal with it and get on with her life. But if a business doesn't want their patrons disturbed, they certainly do have the right to tell people to turn their music down. I would think if parents complained, the daycare would handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting