Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 576 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a 36 year old single father. I have 3 daughters, 1 of whom live with me recently and my other 2 are with their mothers. My oldest is going to be 16 and is living in Maine with mom. Her sister going to be 15 and just moved back with me. My youngest is 7, living with her mother in Massachusetts. I have been in my children's' lives whether I was physically there or not as much as I could be. But the last 3 years have been a nightmare! I am an actively sober recovering alcoholic and while I was in an alcohol induced haze I missed out on some important time with my daughters. I would call and show up when I felt it was safe, but that's just it. I kept my distance because I knew I was a danger to them as an active alcoholic. But I'm over a year sober now and feel as strong as I did before I lost control. Healthy enough to have my 14 year old come live with me again. She didn't fall far from the tree, beautiful and smart, and funny.....Ok enough about me. Seriously though, she is all those things. I am the happiest I can remember in recent times.

But I am going through every human emotion that starts with a letter. So I guess I came to this forum for a little advice. My daughter is 14 and going through some tough changes. Before she came to live with me, about a week ago, she was acting up with mom. She would take off and not call home for a couple days. She would yell and scream at mom and get away with it. This is new for her, acting out without fear of the consequences. But since she's been here she's been on her best behavior, but I know its still new. So, I am afraid when it comes times to discipline or be strict with her. I don't know how she will react, or even me for that matter. It's been 5 years since she's lived with me. I almost feel I don't have the right to be hard on her when necessary. I feel I have to earn her respect back or something. I love her so much and I know she feels she is back where she belongs. I guess I'm looking for some advice on how to be the parent I need to be after not being one for the past 5 years. Thank you very much for taking time to read this.

Sincerely,

GratefulDad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 11:07 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
It starts with today. Don't focus on your past or your regrets. Be the best parent you can be to her now.

Shes at that age now where she's going to be testing you and testing boundaries. Be firm, but loving in what behaviors you will and won't accept.

This is a tough age for them and for parents to deal with. Don't let her get away with bad behavior because you feel guilty. She needs a parent.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:13 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Try one or both of these books:

Discipline for LIfe: Getting it Right with Children by Madelyn Swift

You're Ruining My Life! (but Not Really): Surviving The Teenage Years With Connected Parenting by Jennifer Kolari.

Both are great books to give you insight on teaching, connecting, and setting limits and consequences for your kids.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:12 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I know people can seem quick to recommend professional help, but in this case, I really would recommend some short term family counseling. You've never actively parented a teen before, and she's dealing with all the adjustments of changing her living situation.

I think you could both use a hand figuring things out and getting this phase of your life with her off to a great start with boundaries that you can both agree to and work within - the counselor can be an impartial neutral party who can help the two of you negotiate that.

I've done some similar counseling with my kid, and honestly, every time we go, I walk out feeling so much better about myself as a parent. Not perfect but I get a lot of reassurance that I'm doing a good job - I think you could use a similar pat on the back, because your desire to succeed is so evident. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting