Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 08:29 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're preaching to the choir - yeah, I was being facetious when I said "Good times!" I knocked all my front teeth out (along with gums - and shredded my lips) because I wasn't wearing a seat belt in a wreck, when I was fifteen. It took years of reconstructive surgery to rebuild my mouth and I still can't feel parts of my lips and my chin!

Believe me, I've worn a seat belt ever since, and trained my kids to do so as well. I won't even start a vehicle till everyone is buckled up.

Those choices I described were not my choices - they were my parents' uninformed, short sighted, and naive choices.
Oh thank gawd. I thought you'd lost your mind.

I too cannot be in a car without my seat belt. Nope.

For all the strong-willed child stuff my kid argues about, that isn't one of them. She won't go without her seat belt on either. Will scream bloody murder if anyone trues to drive off before she's buckled.

ETA I don't mean thank gawd you wrecked. I just realized it might read that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
my cousin, born in 1960, did not make it
he was thrown through the windshield during his freshman year in college in a car accident, and died at age 19, he was not wearing a seat belt.
the car was driven by his best friend, and two other friends were in the back seat.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh thank gawd. I thought you'd lost your mind.

I too cannot be in a car without my seat belt. Nope.

For all the strong-willed child stuff my kid argues about, that isn't one of them. She won't go without her seat belt on either. Will scream bloody murder if anyone trues to drive off before she's buckled.

ETA I don't mean thank gawd you wrecked. I just realized it might read that way.
Haha, no problem!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:36 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
There were lots of things about those years that were great and that I miss (I was a late 60s baby), but not wearing seat belts is not one of them.

My parents considered themselves extremely progressive because they insisted that the driver and anyone in the front passenger seat wear a seat belt. But in the back seat? Nah. In fact, I spent most of my first 10 years bouncing around in the bed of our station wagon because 3 siblings were in the back seat.

When I was about 10, a young woman in our church was killed in what should have been a minor accident. Her car spun out and hit the curb. The door flew open and she fell out and struck her head. Died a few hours later. I still remember the shock in my dad's voice when he said, "If she'd been wearing a seat belt, she would have walked away from that accident."

From that point on--we all wore seat belts at all times.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:47 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
my cousin, born in 1960, did not make it
he was thrown through the windshield during his freshman year in college in a car accident, and died at age 19, he was not wearing a seat belt.
the car was driven by his best friend, and two other friends were in the back seat.
My sister and several friends also didn't "make it". I am sorry for the loss of your cousin.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
My parents used to let us kids stand up in the backseat area of the car when we were quite small. This was in the middle 50s. One time, the door was apparently not shut tight and it popped open;my brother fell out of the car as my dad pulled away from the curb.

I don't look back on those days as some golden age, and I don't have much patience for people making fun of safey equipment.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:48 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There were lots of things about those years that were great and that I miss (I was a late 60s baby), but not wearing seat belts is not one of them.
^^^Our Rambler had the lap straps (front and back) which our parents insisted that they were fastened.
Many cars didn't have seat belts until Congress passed a law in 1966.
The General History of Car Seats - Safe Ride 4 Kids

Baby car seats were another item that was seldom seen during the 60's. Check the link
what was available. Thank goodness baby and toddler seats were available when we had
children. Unlike some of the below:
A Graphic History of Child "Safety" Seats - Petrolicious

Also, we had playgrounds with roundabouts, swings, slides, metal jungle gyms and teeter totters
on concrete.

However, there were positives which I wish we had now. Back during the 60's:
-our GP made house calls when we were sick
-every neighborhood had a local grocery store and an avenue where you were able to get whatever you needed
-dad was able to park downtown for free (and he was only 10-15 minutes away)
-at were able to go home for lunch

Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Hey.... give some love to a 40's baby who made it too.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:49 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
When our first child was born, we got one of those shopping cart protectors as a gift. It promptly made it's way into the garbage. Totally ridiculous product. Guess what, she survived many shopping cart rides.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:57 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
When our first child was born, we got one of those shopping cart protectors as a gift. It promptly made its way into the garbage. Totally ridiculous product. Guess what, she survived many shopping cart rides.
I didn't use those either, but throw it away? Brand new? Why? Whenever someone gave me something brand new that I didn't end up using, I either gave it to someone else or put it on Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting