Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

You may find these helpful:

http://beyondtheclinic.com/component.../97?format=pdf

Toe Walking | Johns Hopkins Medicine Health Library
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 12:00 PM

458 posts, read 329,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Two things:

One, she would not put her heels down because it was uncomfortable and didn't feel right. If your son is able to put his heels down and it doesn't bother him, then surgery is probably not the route for you.

Two, PT usually does NOT help with idiopathic toe walking. The reason is that the amount of time spent in PT is usually outweighed by the amount of time the spend walking on their toes. In other words, the habit of being on toes usually overrides any of the PT.

I would say that you should have him evaluated by an ortho that is expert in this area. They will tell you the best course and will make sure that there is nothing else going on (Cerebral Palsy is one thing that they check....but that is usually only when one leg is affected).

Idiopathic toe walking tends to run in families. I did it, my Dad did it and then both my daughters. Three of us outgrew it, one didn't. So......get him evaluated and see what they say.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
I researched this off and on for years. No one is my family does it or my husbands family. I will say that both of us do not have a great established relationship with our fathers, so it's possible that it could be on the paternal side.

He can put his heels down and sometimes if I see him on his toes a lot I make him walk 20 laps flat footed. lol I used to stretch his tendons with exercise, but I don't anymore because he can skateboard, ride his scooter etc flat footed. When he's barefooted walking in the house, he does it. I'll ask him to get down and he does but he says he doesn't even realize he's doing it. Thanks for responding

Old 07-06-2016, 12:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
I researched this off and on for years. No one is my family does it or my husbands family. I will say that both of us do not have a great established relationship with our fathers, so it's possible that it could be on the paternal side.
It can run in families, but not necessarily.

The use of the word idiopathic can suggest there is no known cause. In other words, your doctor ruled out some of the bigger issues.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:24 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
No one in our family does it. How long before they stopped?
Im not sure that one of my daughters ever stopped.
The rest sometime in high school.

When I asked them they all said the same thing. They didnt want to step on anything because it hurt.

Sensitive feet perhaps?

Old 07-06-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Im not sure that one of my daughters ever stopped.
The rest sometime in high school.

When I asked them they all said the same thing. They didnt want to step on anything because it hurt.

Sensitive feet perhaps?
Oh ok. I asked my little man and he always said he wanted to be taller! Now he says, he doesn't even realize he does it.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A friends son did this and the doctor was the one to point it out. After asking her a few questions he determined they had set up the little walker with the wheels (what is that called?) too high, forcing him to move about on tiptoe.

They took him to physical therapy to reteach him how to walk and lengthen the calf muscles, but he was still young - like 3 or 4, at that point.
Yeah this is one reason they can do it and PT will help with it. Also, PT sends homework so it isn't like you do it for 45 minutes a week. There is a lot of work you do at home. My son is *super* tight now in his calf muscles and the PT warned he could end up toe walking if he doesn't start to stretch more (because of sensory issues, its really painful for him to stretch at all).

Old 07-06-2016, 01:07 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:

He can put his heels down and sometimes if I see him on his toes a lot I make him walk 20 laps flat footed. lol I used to stretch his tendons with exercise, but I don't anymore because he can skateboard, ride his scooter etc flat footed. When he's barefooted walking in the house, he does it. I'll ask him to get down and he does but he says he doesn't even realize he's doing it. Thanks for responding
Maybe its sensory? Is he really picky about walking barefoot in sand or grass?

The taller thing made me laugh. My son likes his hair puffy, he thinks it makes him look taller.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Maybe its sensory? Is he really picky about walking barefoot in sand or grass?

The taller thing made me laugh. My son likes his hair puffy, he thinks it makes him look taller.
I have thought in the this past it may be a little to do with sensory...for instance when he gets really really excited he laughs like a chipmunk and gets really high on his toes and may jump in excitement. But that's all really. He doesn't have any aversions to anything tactile (all surfaces fine), no textures, foods etc. He's really laid back in temperment. He's really an easy child.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:28 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
I've got a 14 year old nephew still doing it.

Doctor said he'd grow out of it. There was nothing structurally wrong causing it.. Just habit... Remind him to stop.. Said he'd eventually grow out of it.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:16 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I've heard it can cause the Achilles tendon to become shorter. Which I supposed could lead to injury.

I had a foot issue and my mom got me into roller skating. Hard to do funny things with your feet when you have to have 4 wheels on the floor. (or 8 for both feet) And your toes pointed forward. (one of my feet turned in)

I wonder if roller skating would get him to be flat footed. It would sure make him taller!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting