Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:42 AM

458 posts, read 329,248 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My son has been a toe walker since he first started to walk. The doctor says it's idiopathic toe walking and it may or may not resolve on it's own. He is not diagnosed with any disorders. It is just a habit. He says he doesn't even realize he's doing it. When I call his attention to it, he gets down and walks normally.

He has had special shoes and AFO's and they didn't work. The doctor said he wouldn't consider surgery. I'm concerned he will have problems walking. Does anyone have any personal experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 08:50 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Have you gotten him an evaluation with a physical therapist?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Have you gotten him an evaluation with a physical therapist?
No. I was reading about Chiropractic and I was trying to decide which might be better.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
No. I was reading about Chiropractic and I was trying to decide which might be better.
I would for sure get a PT evaluation. It could be correctable but the longer it goes on, the harder it will be to correct. I don't think its a Chiropractic issue, it would be treated by a physical therapist.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:28 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
A Physical Therapist should be able to help.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:31 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,968 times
All my kids did this. It went away.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Until 9 years old? Must be a genetic thing in your family.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
No one in our family does it. How long before they stopped?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:14 AM

655 posts, read 1,128,822 times
My daughter had the same condition. We eventually went to an orthopedic surgeon who has experience with this when she was 6 years old. He was conservative in his approach and suggested serial casting for her first. This entailed casting both legs (below the knee) for two weeks increments and increasing the angle of the ankle with each new set of casts. She did six weeks (three sets of casts) and it did work.....for a while. The problem is that she started to go back up on her toes again and eventually we were back in the same spot. So, when she was 8 we opted for the bilateral tendon lengthening surgery. Both her tendons were notched to allow them to lengthen and she was put in casts for another six weeks. She had some PT after the casts came off to help her learn to walk properly and she has been fine since (she is 14 now).

Two things:

One, she would not put her heels down because it was uncomfortable and didn't feel right. If your son is able to put his heels down and it doesn't bother him, then surgery is probably not the route for you.

Two, PT usually does NOT help with idiopathic toe walking. The reason is that the amount of time spent in PT is usually outweighed by the amount of time the spend walking on their toes. In other words, the habit of being on toes usually overrides any of the PT.

I would say that you should have him evaluated by an ortho that is expert in this area. They will tell you the best course and will make sure that there is nothing else going on (Cerebral Palsy is one thing that they check....but that is usually only when one leg is affected).

Idiopathic toe walking tends to run in families. I did it, my Dad did it and then both my daughters. Three of us outgrew it, one didn't. So......get him evaluated and see what they say.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
A friends son did this and the doctor was the one to point it out. After asking her a few questions he determined they had set up the little walker with the wheels (what is that called?) too high, forcing him to move about on tiptoe.

They took him to physical therapy to reteach him how to walk and lengthen the calf muscles, but he was still young - like 3 or 4, at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting