U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 03:36 PM

690 posts, read 2,354,193 times

Advertisements

Well, my DD's almost 13 now, but I've never been a SAHM. Always worked full time, because we ain't rich and never will be. My mother kept my DD every day until she was almost 4, then we enrolled her in preschool, because 1) there were no such things as "playdates" in our area, 2) I had my DD young and had no friends with children, and 3) I wanted her to be exposed to other children and be ready for kindergarten. My DD loved preschool, but went half a day each day then to Nana's for the afternoon and it was wonderful. I realized then and still do how totally fortunate I was to have a mother who was able to keep my child for me while my husband and I worked. My DD benefited greatly from the one on one time and she and Nana are extremely close to this day. Plus, hell, aside from the nice things for Nana occasionally, it was free. Whoo hoo!

To each their own. What I do may not work for you. What you do may not work for me. That's what makes the world such a great place.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:39 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,444,336 times
I think the moral of this thread is...not to judge other mothers who parent differently then you...

Can I get an Amen?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! Sista!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 PM

12 posts, read 22,446 times
My mom was a SAHM and she had both my brother and I in preschool from age 3. We both turned out fine. I think you're getting upset over nothing.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,286,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I think the moral of this thread is...not to judge other mothers who parent differently then you...

Can I get an Amen?

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:08 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
Quote:

Can I get an Amen?

Amen and . . . WORD!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:13 AM

690 posts, read 2,354,193 times
Quote:
Can I get an Amen?
Amen sister!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 AM

276 posts, read 1,223,541 times
At some point, you have to let them go.

You aren't planning on attending kindergarten with your child, are you? I'd rather my children gradually get used to being away from me for a couple hours at a time then thrust into a 6 hours a day/5 days per week kindergarten. Even if you are fortunate enough to have half day kindergarten, I think it's hard to transition for child who has never been away from his mother. I think the trasition is easier on the child at 3 or 4 than it is at 6.

I send both of my kids to preschool (on different days) for 2 hours, 2 days/week. When one of the kids has school, the other gets a special date with mom. It's the only one-one parenting time my kids have. I can't tell you how proud I am of my almost 4 yo who confidently walks into preschool and greets his friends and teachers. I think he will adapt very well to kindergarten.

As for your suggested on alternatives for preschool - seriously, "mall-crawling"? No thanks. And we don't do alot of playdates since my son and I have severe dog and cat allergies and almost everyone we know has pets. Unfortunately, our home is too small to accomodate playdates with more than one or two children.

I feel strongly that kids need structure. My almost 4 yo can tell you that he has soccer on Tuesday afternoons, library on Wednesdays, etc. We do one activity like the library, bookstore, local playgym, soccer, or ballet everyday in addition to doing preschool.

I also think its fairly poor form to start such an inflammatory judgemental thread saying things like "daycare is raising your children" and then decide not to post anymore when it heats up. Just saying...

ETA: You can also never know the reasons why someone might place a child in daycare when they are a SAHM. I have a cousin who did this - she was getting chemotherapy for breast cancer while her kids were in daycare.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:01 PM

421 posts, read 1,207,891 times
Quote:

Can I get an Amen?

AMEN!!!!
You hit it on the head, Danielle.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 PM

9 posts, read 35,936 times
Default can't we all just get along?

Ladies why all the judgement?! Let's live and let live shall we. As long as you feel you are doing what is best for your child and nobody is being hurt in the process what is the prob? What I don't understand is why mothers feel the need to judge each other so harshly? Lets all get along and not assume we know what is going on in everyone elses lives. I'm sure the mothers with their kids in daycare feel that they are doing what is best for their kiddos just like you do for yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or