U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 AM

438 posts, read 1,360,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
thanks for your concern. My nine year old is doing math worksheets and my 22 month old is in my lap.

least i know what my kids are doing this moment.

apparently its ok to let strangers raise your kids while you do whatever it is a sahm mom with no kids at home does.

I'm out. this conversation has taken a total turn from what i intended it.
OK, You win. You're a better mom than I am and your children are infinitely more intelligent than mine. Sorry this took so long to type as I was nursing one of my neglected inferior children.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:09 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Hmmm, I'm lost.............. I don't know what I am any more???

Both of my kids are in school. I don't have a job outside of the house. I don't bring in a paycheck. I do the grocery shopping, bank, cleaners, laundry, cleaning, etc all while they are at school all day.

Can I still call myself a "Stay at home mom"? Afterall I AM home and I AM a "mom".

Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,696,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
OK, You win. You're a better mom than I am and your children are infinitely more intelligent than mine. Sorry this took so long to type as I was nursing one of my neglected inferior children.
But was it your 9-yr old?

Yes, yes...running away now.

1,969 posts, read 5,286,927 times
Quote:
thanks for your concern. My nine year old is doing math worksheets and my 22 month old is in my lap.

apparently its ok to let strangers raise your kids while you do whatever it is a sahm mom with no kids at home does.

It has taken this turn because of your belief that somehow the teachers or providers are raising our children! That is insulting! We all try to make the best decisions for our kids - you know you do - wansn't it you that said you were pregnant with your daughter while going to school and you still finished on time - all the while she was never with a sitter? How the heck does that happen? Someone took care of her while you were at school. If you finished on time then you weren't going at night ...hmmm tricky. And now you work from home right - so are you somehow superior because most of us have to leave? But hey - this is my point - who am I to judge - just like who are you to judge. I chose not to go back to school after my daughter was born - does that make me better then you because somehow I focused on her more? I didn't have homework or studying to do ...while my daughter was a baby I was always with her - never had a sitter for her either. So how does that make one of us a better parent? It doesn't. Different things work for different people. So instead of attacking people who chose preschool or daycare for a reason - why don't you ask what those reasons are if what you wanted was to truly understand. How about something like "Why preschool or daycare" I'm sure you'll get a whole bunch of reasons. Some people work - some people work from home and still put their kids somewhere so they can work at home too ya know - some want to get their grocery shopping done alone - either way - there are lots of reasons. And you don't have to be insulting to those of us who do make those decision because you don't agree. In the grand scheme of things - our kids will adjust better to kindergarten - especially boys .

3,647 posts, read 9,307,282 times
"I keep getting sucked into reading these posts because I think I'm going to find some wonderful solution to some problem I may be having with my children. "

TOO FUNNY!

I find lots of this stuff funny.

Like SAHM's who abhor preschool because it's time she could spend interacting with their children... but have hours to rant about other moms on forum boards.

Like women who judge others who put their 3/4 yo's in preschool and still call themselves SAHM's, but then put their own kids into public schools... my MIL homeschooled her 3 kids, and wouldn't think much of this judgemental mom.

I wonder how much some of these women know about other "SAHM's"? For instance, I consider myself a SAHM. When the kids were smaller, I msed and now I help my husband run our business. I still find time to volunteer in both the kid's classrooms, run a Scout troop, ms as a hobby, help some working moms out on school holidays and spend more time with my kids than most moms I know. I spend time posting on the forum boards in between checking our 7 email addresses, doing research, making calls to clients and employees, doing paperwork, shopping, sewing, doing crafts with the kids, housecleaning, doing laundry (endlessly) and playing 'Scrabble cubes' online whenever I can sneak it in.

I sent my kids to preschool when they were younger, before we were self employed. Sometimes I msed, but mostly I folded clothes in front of the TV, talked to friends on the phone or went grocery shopping ALONE.

My husband and I are happy with our choices and you'll NEVER find me whining about MY life online.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
This kind of stuff is why I don't do playgroups anymore. All the catty fighting over how each person parents. There is always one or two who are so militant over how they choose to do things and feel that everyone around them has to do it the same way.

Ok stepping off my box now.
NO KIDDING! I was in a playgroup ONCE! UGH!!! Talk about useless. The one that ran it was the most competititve person I EVER MET!!! As babies she was trying to compare them. She always tried to make herself out to be some GRAND MOTHER of the year............... puke.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,240,900 times
Quote:
This is going to be a little bit of a rant, so excuse me if you will- and it is NOT directed at those who have to work and need daycare (because that's a whole different situation), but rather those who are stay at home moms putting their kids in these types of places.

WHY? Let your kids be kids. Stop worrying about your kiddos 'intellectual' abilities. They learn through good, old fashioned play. You want to stay home with them, then STAY HOME WITH THEM. don't send them to a daycare for the day (or half day). Whats the point of you staying home?

Social Interaction- join a playgroup go to the park or the mall - one of our malls has a baby/toddler play area and theres ALWAYS kids in there!! My best friend has kids right around my sons age, and we get together about once a week and let them have fun! We talk in grown up words and they push cars around the floor. Its a win win situation! lol

Sorry- its just once of my pet peeves. Yes, moms need a break sometimes, I'll be the first in line to admit that, but thats where friends come in and your playtimes. Sometimes I watch my friends kids(3) so she can run errands or have her haircut and sometimes she watches mine so I can do the same!

I have a 22 month old, and I can't IMAGINE sending him to a daycare for ANY reason!
Daycare & preschool are two different things.

Kinda confused...what about sahm's who send their kids to kindergarten & then school?

Not everyone parents the same. Not everyone cares for playgroups. Not everyone lives in an area where playgroups are around.

How are you defining daycare? How are you defining preschool?

My best friend lives in Germany. Sorta hard to call her for a playdate

Not everyone is in the same situation as you nor thinks the way you do.

Just be a parent to your kids, not to other people.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:16 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,240,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
"
My husband and I are happy with our choices
And that, by far, is the most important thing.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I know what my kids are doing right now too

My 13 yo is in school and I know exacly WHICH class. She will go to lunch in 30 minutes.

My 9 yo is actually home sick today. Otherwise she would be in class at school and having lunch at school in 10 minutes. Right now she wants me off the computer so she can play w/ her Webkinz.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:21 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,307,282 times
My kids have the day off school. They were fighting over the bricks in the basement, so I sent them over to the neighbors while I post to this forum.

Now I have to go make lunch and wash the kitchen floor while they're gone. OOPS - they're back home! Nope, false alarm... just going to another neighbor's house.

I may not know exactly what my kid's are doing right now, but at least they have friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or