U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:35 PM
 
3,107 posts, read 8,037,915 times
Reputation: 2249

Advertisements

Did you start this thread because you're bored? You make sweeping judgments about SAHM's and their reasons for sending their little ones to pre-school and wonder why the thread has taken on a direction you don't understand? Are you kidding?!?!?!?

While you are certainly entitled to your opinions, you are lacing it with critical judgment of SAHMs. And really, whose business is it but the parents if a they decide to send their child to pre-school for a few hours a week?

Many of our friends send their 3 yr olds to pre-school and the kids just LOVE it. These friends have also said that being in play groups often does lead to the kind of pissing matches being displayed here. Who wants that? - women judging others' parenting styles?

I am planning on being a SAHM to twins and I can assure you that there will be days when I will just want to say "Calgon...take me away..." but it's NOT because I probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place (as you expressed in a previous comment).

I was sent to nursery school when I was 4 and it was probably the best experience in my young life. I learned another language (which I still speak) and learned to interact with children in another culture. Did that make my mom a lousy SAHM? Not at all. My mother was always there for my brother & me. Every dinner was a home-cooked meal from scratch, eaten at the kitchen table together as a family. She was always there to supervise homework, piano practice, teaching us how to become good people, respect others, pray, etc...

Good for you to have the fortitude 24/7 to be such a great mom with nary a thought of shipping your children off to pre-school. But it's NOT for everyone and why you have such a problem with others doing it is just baffling.

I can see finding it frustrating if you know someone who is a SAHM who has a full-time nanny AND sends the kid off to pre-school - but that would be their issue anyway. No skin off my back. Most of the people who have posted are not of that ilk yet you seem to have a problem sending any child for any length of time to pre-school as long as a mom calls herself a SAHM.

 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 PM
 
3,107 posts, read 8,037,915 times
Reputation: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay. What am I?

I stay at home. My youngest is in college, but he calls me or IMs me at least once a day. We have been on the phone today as well as IM. His g/f has also IM' me today.

I used to be called a stay at home mom. What am I now? I am still a mom. And I stay at home.

So what am I?

I am not an empty nester. My son is in and out and I still do plenty of laundry, cooking and spend a lot of time w/ my son an w/ his g/friend as well. When he has a concern or a question - he calls mom.

So just b/c he is in college . . . does this make me less of a stay at home mom???

I am a professional writer, so when he was two, and I was a freelance writer, and took him to daycare 2 hours a day . . . or preschool 4 hours a day . . . or had in house babysitting while I was working . . . was I more of a stay at home mom then? Or did it not count, b/c I was also working while at home?

And did it matter? And most of all, did anyone really give a flying monkey's rump what the heck I was doing w/ my time, my kids, my home, etc?

Why is this something that is occupying someone's mind?????

So what am I? What is my LABEL? And who on this god's green earth - would possibly even CARE?????

LOL - I sure don't care....sounds to me like you've done a TERRIFIC job with your kids!
 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM
 
Location: The #1 sunshine state, Arizona.
12,172 posts, read 15,021,007 times
Reputation: 64014
Same reason why SAHM's do their grocery shopping on weekends, because they can! I think kids need to socialize with other people in other environments than just being at home with mom all day. SAHM's job is 24/7, she needs a break too.
 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 PM
 
Location: bumcrack Nebraska
438 posts, read 1,361,390 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay. What am I?

I stay at home. My youngest is in college, but he calls me or IMs me at least once a day. We have been on the phone today as well as IM. His g/f has also IM' me today.

I used to be called a stay at home mom. What am I now? I am still a mom. And I stay at home.

So what am I?

I am not an empty nester. My son is in and out and I still do plenty of laundry, cooking and spend a lot of time w/ my son an w/ his g/friend as well. When he has a concern or a question - he calls mom.

So just b/c he is in college . . . does this make me less of a stay at home mom???

I am a professional writer, so when he was two, and I was a freelance writer, and took him to daycare 2 hours a day . . . or preschool 4 hours a day . . . or had in house babysitting while I was working . . . was I more of a stay at home mom then? Or did it not count, b/c I was also working while at home?

And did it matter? And most of all, did anyone really give a flying monkey's rump what the heck I was doing w/ my time, my kids, my home, etc?

Why is this something that is occupying someone's mind?????

So what am I? What is my LABEL? And who on this god's green earth - would possibly even CARE?????
You made me giggle!
 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:44 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,324,631 times
Reputation: 22274
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Obviously you're a terrible parent for not following the program! For shame. Shame, shame, shame.
Roamin . . . I am hanging my head in utter shame

But I did breast feed for nine months. Does that not make me a Better Mommy than my neighbors?????

I mean . . . after all . . this is a contest, right????
 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:48 PM
 
Location: bumcrack Nebraska
438 posts, read 1,361,390 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Roamin . . . I am hanging my head in utter shame

But I did breast feed for nine months. Does that not make me a Better Mommy than my neighbors?????

I mean . . . after all . . this is a contest, right????
I don't know if you knew this or not, but parenting has become a competitive sport. And I can't believe you breastfed for only 9 months? Don't you know women in the third world nurse for like 4 years? So they win the prize.
 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:57 PM
 
3,107 posts, read 8,037,915 times
Reputation: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
I don't know if you knew this or not, but parenting has become a competitive sport. And I can't believe you breastfed for only 9 months? Don't you know women in the third world nurse for like 4 years? So they win the prize.

Hah! Obviously you didn't read my post on another thread where I described meeting a 4 yr old on a plane who conversed with me & then declared she was hungry & going to have a snack. Imagine my surprise when she turned to her mom, lifted up mom's shirt & well, sucked her snack! (all the while smiling at me) This was in good ol' America - somewhere in the air between Los Angeles & Milwaukee.

 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:57 PM
 
3,647 posts, read 9,319,537 times
Reputation: 5427
Well, I didn't breastfeed either of mine, so I lose that one.

But I make all my kids PJs and read to them daily.

Next?
 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,324,631 times
Reputation: 22274
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
I don't know if you knew this or not, but parenting has become a competitive sport. And I can't believe you breastfed for only 9 months? Don't you know women in the third world nurse for like 4 years? So they win the prize.
HEE HEE HEE. Believe me, these DD's did their duty long enuff. I figure when my son turned 9 months old and started screaming - "Mommy - breast! breast!" it was time to cut out the breast feeding.
 
Old 02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
 
3,647 posts, read 9,319,537 times
Reputation: 5427
umm... you're kidding right ani?

Oops, sorry, read that last post of yours as 9 YEARS old.

Last edited by sskkc; 02-18-2008 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: learned to read
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top