U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 01:32 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,305,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Oh please. EVERYONE knows that a Real Mommy would chew the food herself, and then give it to the baby. Wouldn't want to contaminate it with a food processor now, would we?
Okay - just spewed the coke on the keyboard. ROFLMAO!!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,454,142 times
This thread is actually funny to me

SAHM judging other SAHM instead working moms.....wow, now there is a twist if I've ever seen one.

No one needs to worry about why someone sends their child to preschool or daycare (in most places it's the same thing) for a few hours a week. It does help most kids better able to handle kindergarten. There was one little boy in my son's kindergarten class that had never stayed with anyone but his mom. He cried and screamed every morning for 2 months! Tell me a little separation from mom wouldn't have done him some good. If you are fortunate enough to be able to stay home, however you want to label it, be happy and don't judge others in the same position. One of my closest friends is a SAHM and we don't have issues with each other. She has been a life saver for me at times (like picking my son up from school for the last 2 months since my hubby had ankle surgery--I gave her a nice big gift card for her trouble) but I don't take advantage either. Just b/c she doesn't work doesn't mean she is available to take care of everyone. She has her own 3 to take care of.

My son was in daycare and then preschool (after 3) from 8 weeks old. The daycare workers always treated him well and loved him but they followed our directions with feeding etc. When they started curriculum, we followed theirs. They DID NOT, and I repeat DID NOT raise our child. He did start kindergarten well above the curve and was bored most of the year b/c he had learned so much at preschool and he had no problem making friends. But you know what? I had to work then and I have to work now. Do I wish I could have been at home with him? Absolutely but it wasn't in the cards. I am VERY involved in his class and school, in general. I have NEVER missed a field trip that parents can attend and my husband goes to field day every year. And neither of us misses awards day. People are different. Anyone who is loving and caring for their children are ok in my book. It's the parents that shouldn't have had children that I'd like to choke. I'll never forget what one little boy in my son's second grade class said when I was taking time off before starting my current job and was eating with my son 2 or 3 times a week. He told me how many times I'd been in to eat with him (I think it was 4 times) and said my mom has never come to eat with me. I told him I couldn't usually b/c I was working so I was making sure I came as often as I could before I went back to work. He told me his mom had been fired and told him she didn't want to come eat with him. Bless his heart! Those are the parents that aren't doing their jobs. We need to quit nit picking over labels when everyone on here is obviously doing a pretty good job with their kids. The ones who aren't probably won't be posting anytime soon.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,454,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, not so bad as my slacker neighbor. She has two little ones and the cleaning service was there Saturday. Then the caterer. She is not self-sacrificing enuff.

If she wants to have a party, she should be making all those appetizers on her own . . . and since she is at home . . . she should be cleaning up on her own, too. What a SLACKER MOMMY she is.

Sounds pretty D*** lucky to me I don't need the caterer but I could really use the cleaning service, please? No, really, please?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,290,122 times
Alright everyone! Relax! Don't get a mean streak now. We were all a little offended by the OP - but she didn't make fun - so just stop

Old 02-18-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Alright everyone! Relax! Don't get a mean streak now. We were all a little offended by the OP - but she didn't make fun - so just stop
Nic, I am sorry if it appeared anything mean was going on. I was just sharing some levity.

I stick by my Slacker Mom label. While we are labeling. I was not offended by the OP message at all. Just hoping she will realize - we are all doing our best and Mommy Wars should not exist. We should all be less judgmental and more helpful to one another.

And LAUGH. Have a little laugh. There are no rules - raising kids is darned hard and being a mommy - we are all different. No such thing as a cookie cutter mom or a cookie cutter kid . . . let's all just live and let live.

Believe me, at my age . . . I have had the perspective of realizing . . . all this anxiety . . . kids become who they are going to become . . . and it is always a surprise!!!! There is just no one right way to be a mommy.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Sounds pretty D*** lucky to me I don't need the caterer but I could really use the cleaning service, please? No, really, please?
You know . . . you are just down the road from me. You are in Dallas and I am in Charlotte. I can send that crew on down your way!!!!

Please tell me . . . that this generation of women realizes . . . the best asset you will have while raising children . . . is all the support you can get. If that means BUYING IT (childcare, nannies, babysitters, housekeeper) or bartering for it (trading babysitting, playdates) - GO FOR IT.

We all need every bit of support we can get. Raising children is hard. Taking care of a home is hard - even if you enjoy it - it is tiring work. Being a good wife is hard work. Our physical selves get worn out. Our emotional selves get strained. Our hormones may be raging.

In my former neighborhood, when someone was sick, the other mommies brought over casseroles, soup, etc. We did not compete about our kids - we shared info - and clothing, baby supplies, etc. No one has a perfect situation. Some have financial resources that others don't. Some have family and others are transplants.

Find all the support you can gather. Whatever works for you!!!!

(Slacker Mommy or not, Hee Hee - sorry . . . couldn't help it).

Old 02-18-2008, 03:57 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,269,721 times
OMYGOSH!!! Y'all are TOO FUNNY!!! LOVE IT! I think I should get the "Slacker Mommy of the Year" award though. I only breastfeed the oldest for 6 months but also supplemented w/ formula (THE HORRORS )! The second one I only breastfeed for FIVE DAYS!!! No wonder she has asthma AND was sick today. But hey, for those first 5 days of breastfeeding even though those puppies were not producing one drop of milk they WERE HUGE!

I should also get "Mommy of the Year" as I just finished cleaning up the youngest ones puke. Almost puked myself I just can't hack it I know Which I guess should REALLY put me in the "Slacker Mommy of the Year" if I can't stand to clean up my own childs puke.

Okay, who said their 9 mo son was saying, "Breast"????? That is exactly why all these grown men have such an infatuation with womens breasts. Gee THANKS!

And other reasons why I should get "Slacker Mommy of the Year":
1. I get my house cleaned every other week.
2. For the 10 years total my daughters took dance classes I as a bad mommy did not learn their dance routines and stand in front of the stage and do it for them during their recital. Yep, saw that done too.
3. I make them do their own homework.
4. I have NEVER done a science fair project for them.
5. I have never gave them excuses to giver their teachers for not doing their homework.
And oh so many more.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
OMYGOSH!!! Y'all are TOO FUNNY!!! LOVE IT! I think I should get the "Slacker Mommy of the Year" award though. I only breastfeed the oldest for 6 months but also supplemented w/ formula (THE HORRORS )! The second one I only breastfeed for FIVE DAYS!!! No wonder she has asthma AND was sick today. But hey, for those first 5 days of breastfeeding even though those puppies were not producing one drop of milk they WERE HUGE!

I should also get "Mommy of the Year" as I just finished cleaning up the youngest ones puke. Almost puked myself I just can't hack it I know Which I guess should REALLY put me in the "Slacker Mommy of the Year" if I can't stand to clean up my own childs puke.

Okay, who said their 9 mo son was saying, "Breast"????? That is exactly why all these grown men have such an infatuation with womens breasts. Gee THANKS!

And other reasons why I should get "Slacker Mommy of the Year":
1. I get my house cleaned every other week.
2. For the 10 years total my daughters took dance classes I as a bad mommy did not learn their dance routines and stand in front of the stage and do it for them during their recital. Yep, saw that done too.
3. I make them do their own homework.
4. I have NEVER done a science fair project for them.
5. I have never gave them excuses to giver their teachers for not doing their homework.
And oh so many more.
ROFLMAO!!! That was hilarious! I currently hold the Slacker Mommy Award, and will not easily give it up.

My son just called (yes, he is in college) and is feeling sick and wanted to know what he should do - what meds, etc. So even tho I am a Slacker Mommy, my kids still know who to turn to when they need help. Must have done something right.

Your behavior is truly heinous, tho. You mean you have had the chance to be an honest to gosh real stage mommy, and you failed your children? You don't do their dance routines? HORRORS. I bet you don't mouth the words they sing in chorus class, either. And forget their ever wanting to be cheerleaders, if you are not going to show more dedication than this . . .

And yes, my 9 mo. old would yell for breast! Only he said it more like BWEAST but no mistaking what it meant. He did that in a restaurant, and the silence was deafening as every patron in the whole place turned to look at what kid was screaming for mother's milk. He would keep yelling til he got what he wanted, so to speak. So I decided . . . maybe it is time to stop this, even tho my doctor had said - try to do it for a year.

So momof2dfw . . . I put enuff time to cover my kid and your two, as well.

But I didnt manage to get him potty trained til he was 3 1/2. So see - I get to keep the Slacker Mommy Award.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:24 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,269,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Your behavior is truly heinous, tho. You mean you have had the chance to be an honest to gosh real stage mommy, and you failed your children? You don't do their dance routines? HORRORS. I bet you don't mouth the words they sing in chorus class, either. And forget their ever wanting to be cheerleaders, if you are not going to show more dedication than this . . .

So momof2dfw . . . I put enuff time to cover my kid and your two, as well.

But I didnt manage to get him potty trained til he was 3 1/2. So see - I get to keep the Slacker Mommy Award.

Yes I know. My daughters have no hope of ever being cheerleaders or any such. I just don't see myself standing up in front of the crowds myself and doing the routine with them. I should be run out of town. And this reminds me of the lil drill team thing that happened last year. I let my 13 yo join the peewee drillteam (thank GOD at an academy and all the other mommies were like me and put academics first). During the big playoff game of the year the other teams drillteam MOTHERS had matching outfits and were on the field w/ them and PERFORMED!!!

I know that I have been known to say something to the much better mommies when they brag about their 8-9-10 yo's "making cheerleader", things like, "they don't have try-outs. Every kid makes it." To which they totally shunned me.

I give, you are the REAL "Slacker Mommy of the Year".

Old 02-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes I know. My daughters have no hope of ever being cheerleaders or any such. I just don't see myself standing up in front of the crowds myself and doing the routine with them. I should be run out of town. And this reminds me of the lil drill team thing that happened last year. I let my 13 yo join the peewee drillteam (thank GOD at an academy and all the other mommies were like me and put academics first). During the big playoff game of the year the other teams drillteam MOTHERS had matching outfits and were on the field w/ them and PERFORMED!!!

I know that I have been known to say something to the much better mommies when they brag about their 8-9-10 yo's "making cheerleader", things like, "they don't have try-outs. Every kid makes it." To which they totally shunned me.

I give, you are the REAL "Slacker Mommy of the Year".
Thought the potty training would qualify me. Of course, he is now 24, 6' 2" tall and as far as I know, has no bathroom issues, so all is well that ends well, as it were.

And momof2 . . . would you please tell me how you escaped the Stage Mommy Syndrome - being located in The Big D????? I am impressed. Truly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or