Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 02:00 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,278,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
... Finally I said to them "Stop with the rude comments. It is not acceptable to be nasty to strangers in line". The mother bodily blocked them from me and said told the girls I was dangerous and to stay away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Depends. What were the comments?
Really?

See above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 02:23 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Depends. What were the comments?
Does it matter? What They were saying was ugly, pointing and tittering.
I assume they are rude and nasty to kids their own age in school as well and if you will insult an adult with your mom six inches away I assume discipline is light in the household.

Lots of varied answers, which is cool. I suppose I could have left it alone but the line was slow and they were like two feet in front of me looking directly at me. For my own sanity I wasn't going to let it continue and I didn't want to leave because of snotty kids.

And yes...women PMSing while hungry in a slow line at Chik Fi'let are VERY dangerous! muwahahahaha

This was kinda weird too because I like Chick Fi'let because they are so super respectful.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:35 PM

13,268 posts, read 8,373,876 times
I often ask them to repeat it a bit louder , then I respond with a one liner that shuts them down.

If the guardian wants to chime in, all the better! I like to know if they are actively showing public manners and can handle that their kids are no angels.

You did the right thing Op, kids are ppl too and need to learn how to behave.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:40 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,171,175 times
You're fine, op.

I woulda asked them to repeat themselves louder, too.

That tactic works with sexual harassment at work, too.

"WHAT'S THAT? I didn't hear you. Something about my butt?"

Old 07-11-2016, 03:01 PM

30,530 posts, read 18,010,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
People are crazy. It is always best to not engage crazy people.
Bingo! Engaging the crazies often doesn't end well -- for YOU. The crazies often are emboldened and have less to lose, making them more prone to violence/instability, which can sometimes even be deadly. Unless I'm physically threatened by crazies, I ignore and/or walk away.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,700,060 times
Quote:
Does it matter?
Sure, it matters, especially if there's a chance you're overly sensitive because of ...

Quote:
And yes...women PMSing while hungry in a slow line at Chik Fi'let are VERY dangerous!
muwahahahaha

Quote:
I assume they are rude and nasty to kids their own age in school as well and if you will insult an adult with your mom six inches away I assume discipline is light in the household.
And if you assume that is the case, then it follows that you also might assume that such a parent won't react well to your comments.

It's a risk, every time, to call out a stranger. Up to you.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:45 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,653,657 times
Quote:
Does it matter? What They were saying was ugly, pointing and tittering.

Lots of varied answers, which is cool. I suppose I could have left it alone but the line was slow and they were like two feet in front of me looking directly at me. For my own sanity I wasn't going to let it continue and I didn't want to leave because of snotty kids.

And yes...women PMSing while hungry in a slow line at Chik Fi'let are VERY dangerous! muwahahahaha

This was kinda weird too because I like Chick Fi'let because they are so super respectful.
You just shot yourself in the foot with me.

I have an evil eye for rude children (and most adults) that works silently. And I can always lean forward slightly and say "I'm a witch" and then give their mother a big smile if she is paying attention.

I don't think you should have corrected the unruly children in this situation and with what I perceive as your attitude.

Last edited by newcomputer; 07-11-2016 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-11-2016, 04:21 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,869,590 times
I'm with you OP. There was a time when I would have bitten my lip, but now I've reached the age where I feel I shouldn't have to accept bad behavior. And, honestly, I'm not so old. I've come to the conclusion that we do nobody any favors by staying silent. So, yes, speak up. Let the miscreants(and parents) squirm. It worked back when I was a kid, and if people weren't so worried about backlash, it could work again. I consider objecting to bad behavior a public service.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:36 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,837,775 times
I like that idea of asking them to say it louder.

I have spoken to other people's kids, even scolded them when no one was around to do it. More then once in school I have gone and had a little sit down with a kid who was teasing my kid or I saw being rude to other kids. I have no fear and its usually well received (like "yes ma'am"). One boy was harassing my son and he got in trouble twice in the principals office, still didn't stop. I went up and talked to him (in a completely non-threatening manner, just said it wasn't cool and he needed to stop). He stopped!

The other day a neighborhood boy was making threats to my daughter (not serous, but not acceptable) and I went out and had a talk with him. He hasn't repeated the behavior.

However it is more tricky when parents are around. I would be more likely to talk to the parent...but if they were completely ignoring their kid's behavior I might say something. I don't know, I guess I have never been there. Im sure I have gently corrected kids like if someone is about to get hurt, I know the kid very well, or something was about to get broken.

I have had my kids corrected by other people before. My reaction depends. One grandpa put his hands roughly on my son. I didn't respond calmly. There has been times where I snapped to and quickly apologized. And I imagine a range in between.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:42 PM

10 posts, read 6,975 times
As a parent, I would want someone to tell my children (the way you did) that their behavior was unacceptable. As their mother, I would have apologized for not noticing and demanded that they apologize to you too. I know that the reaction you got from that mother is all too common, but I fear that she is not instilling kindness and respect in her children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting