Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 02:04 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

I just got through telling my son that I could not afford to take a trip to see the grandkids this year because the dogs cost too much to board now . He then proceeded to tell me he guesses the dogs are more important than the grandkids are , I told him no it was just a financial situation and I live on a fixed income as well they know that .I also told them they were capable of coming here as well . I have offered them the extra room I have for them to sleep in . Oh no that would be too hard to drag the kids and stuff up here . I swear I just cannot win with them . I don't know how grown children can get an attitude so quick with their parents . I guess I have offended them because I wont jump through hoops financially to go down for a visit .I truly think that they don't know what it is to live on a fixed income and how hard that is . well now I want to hear from other grandparents in similar sittuations and what did you do ? or what do you do ? I admit it has been two years since I have gone down but there is just nothing I can do in the realm of finances this year .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 02:13 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
A story I'm familiar with, although not for the same reason. Apparently, we are negligent grandparents because we aren't willing to make that trip twice a year despite them never, even once, coming to visit us in 5 years.

I managed to fly with my 3 little boys a few times each year to see their grandparents. Now, for them, a 300 mile drive is out of the question. It is what it is, and what it is, is sad.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:19 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I can see your son's point. I think it is probably a bigger hardship for them to visit you than you visit them. It costs a lot less to board a couple dogs than it does to fly an entire family somewhere. I have a large dog. We board her sometimes, it's not THAT expensive. We've also had a neighbor watch our dog, and that costs even less. Even if they are not on a fixed income, I am guessing they are not rolling in cash either, but you are expecting them to pay 10 times the cost of boarding a couple of dogs to some see you. My family lives across the country. When we go to visit (me, DH, and 2 kids), it's costs us thousands of dollars.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:23 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
why do adult kids try to guilt you into something ?
Usually it is because that ploy has worked for them all their lives.

I see his point though.
It would be far easier for one person to travel than for an entire family with all the kids' stuff.

Can't a neighbor kid take care of your dogs for you? Or surely one of your friends could do it....

Old 07-15-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Usually it is because that ploy has worked for them all their lives.

I see his point though.
It would be far easier for one person to travel than for an entire family with all the kids' stuff.

Can't a neighbor kid take care of your dogs for you? Or surely one of your friends could do it....
no I'm sorry i don't have friends or a neighbor that could watch our dogs ...and it is a 6 hr car trip for them as well as for me ....

Old 07-15-2016, 02:26 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
There are other alternatives to boarding dogs. There are plenty of dog-sitters that come to your house or allow you to drop your dogs off at their houses. It's much less expensive, especially if you get a neighborhood kid to do it. You have other options, you're just not exploring them.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I can see your son's point. I think it is probably a bigger hardship for them to visit you than you visit them. It costs a lot less to board a couple dogs than it does to fly an entire family somewhere. I have a large dog. We board her sometimes, it's not THAT expensive. We've also had a neighbor watch our dog, and that costs even less. Even if they are not on a fixed income, I am guessing they are not rolling in cash either, but you are expecting them to pay 10 times the cost of boarding a couple of dogs to some see you. My family lives across the country. When we go to visit (me, DH, and 2 kids), it's costs us thousands of dollars.

you have a dog , I have two , big difference in cost ....

Old 07-15-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
There are other alternatives to boarding dogs. There are plenty of dog-sitters that come to your house or allow you to drop your dogs off at their houses. It's much less expensive, especially if you get a neighborhood kid to do it. You have other options, you're just not exploring them.

wow you trust people a lot don't you ? i would not be comfortable trusting a complete stranger access to my home. i just don't trust people with my dogs or any of my belongings . My dogs are also 12 and 14 yrs old so it wont be long before they are gone and then i can make the trip easier because i would be financially able then .

Old 07-15-2016, 02:35 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
My mother in law makes the 8 hour drive to come see us several times a year. She brings her dog with her. It's much harder for us to travel because we work full time and the children are in school. She is retired (with a fixed income), but it is easier for her because she doesn't have to be anywhere.

She's actually decided to move here, and is working on putting her house up for rent.

Just sayin.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:39 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I just got through telling my son that I could not afford to take a trip to see the grandkids this year because the dogs cost too much to board now . He then proceeded to tell me he guesses the dogs are more important than the grandkids are.
This is not even a coherent statement or argument.

That tells you he can't be reasoned with bc he's too far out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting