Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Thank you.

It's so ridiculously competitive nowadays. Another thing that doesn't help is that all the resume filling is now done online with the complete death and soul-sucking questionnaire section. Even my Father has come around in recent years and agrees that you're lucky to even get one job offer after you graduate.

You'd be able to sometimes just walk into a store and see the manager, then he'd perhaps offer you a job right on the spot. Nowadays? That's just not possible.

This is just one of many reasons why I decided to pursue having my own online business.
Someone is getting jobs. I've even seen multiple "help wanted" signs in various businesses recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 10:00 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,732,762 times
Quote:
You'd be able to sometimes just walk into a store and see the manager, then he'd perhaps offer you a job right on the spot. Nowadays? That's just not possible.
I hear that back then, it was possible regardless if you were in High School, College, etc. Now most places wants you to be 18 or they want you to have a high school diploma.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:08 PM

34,744 posts, read 16,767,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The young woman may have never associated with anyone before, except for those her own age. She doesn't know yet about the rules for adult behavior. Think about how difficult it may be for someone who hires her. Not only will she require job-training, but life-training, as well. That's why part-time jobs are so important for high-school students. I think it's an essential part of their upbringing.
I totally agree and repped this post.

Even before my two children worked, they were almost alone among their peers in knowing how to handle and treat adults. My older son, as early as 6th Grade was the only one who held the school door open for a teacher struggling with a birthday cake in one hand and a briefcase and hand bag in the other. I picked him up from a Bar Mitzvah and the honoree's grandmother told me my son was about the only one behaving. I find that hard to believe and maybe he's more conspicuous because he's a redhead. But still dealing with adults is crucial.

Even my younger son, who is on the autistic spectrum but high functioning, is punctual in his class and work attendance. And adults respect hmi despite his awkwardness.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I hear that back then, it was possible regardless if you were in High School, College, etc. Now most places wants you to be 18 or they want you to have a high school diploma.
What places? We have teens working all over the place around here.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:01 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
That just happened to my 15yo son last month.

I don't get the people who decry employers actually wanting demonstrable skills.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:40 AM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yep, this is how I handle meetings like this. If a parent calls me, I tell them to have the kid call me directly to set up the meeting. I even give them the option of email.

When you've been a working professional for so many years, it is pretty frustrating to see this kind of immaturity on display. I remember being on that side of the fence, though, as a college student, and learning things the hard way is the ONLY way to grow out of it. Mom sure can't do it for you.
But don't you think that by the time a kid is in college, he or she should have already developed good enough sense to set up their own appointments? Didn't they have a job before that that they got by applying and interviewing? Didn't they have to complete college applications and learn how to apply for financial aid, etc? I didn't do any of that for my kid. That was for her to do. I co-signed student loans when necessary, but I sure as heck wasn't doing the application and loan paperwork for a kid old enough to go to college.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:37 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,395,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That just happened to my 15yo son last month.

I don't get the people who decry employers actually wanting demonstrable skills.
Then he most definitely got lucky, and/or probably had connections to the manager. That's absolutely not the norm nowadays.

It's why I'm a big advocate of making connections while in HS and college. Those are MUCH, MUCH more important than grades in this day and age.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
It's difficult these days to get a job. Lots of young kids whine that they can't get a job. Just go to the Work and Employment section. You'll find a bunch of posters who complains they've been applying to hundreds or so applications, interview for a few jobs and they still don't have a job. Anyone who believes the job market is great listens to a bunch of idiots who skews statistics and doesn't tell the real truth.
Inadvertently, you've made my point for me.

Sure the job market is challenging. But challenging and impossible are not one and the same.

I have three children, 21, 19, and 17. They all have jobs. Did they have to be persistent? Did they have to knock on jobs and keep asking? Absolutely.

Life isn't hard exactly, but it pretty much gives you what you put into it. If you go down to Best Buy, fill out an application, and then shrug your shoulders when you don't get the call, then I can't help you.

Instead, getting a job is pretty much a numbers game. The more doors you knock on, the more managers and business owners you talk to, the higher your odds of getting a job. Funny how that works.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:12 AM

2,525 posts, read 3,080,678 times
The O.P.'s story reminded me of a phone call I got a few years back. I'm a professional dog walker. A Momâ„¢ called, wanting to know if I could let her 8 year old(!) son shadow me and learn the business. I asked her, "Does he have liability insurance?" After a pause, she said, "Well, no! He's only eight years old!" I said "Exactly. No one in their right mind would entrust their beloved pet to a kid. Plus, if he's so interested, HE should be making these arrangements HIMSELF, not you."
Oh, the huffage that ensued! I hung up, laughing.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:27 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,021,989 times
I agree that there are some parents who coddle their kids way too much. A friend told me she did it because she wanted her kids to like her; that was more important to her than being a parent.

She sent out an email one time saying her son's high school band had been selected to march in the following year's Rose Parade and that she and all the other moms would be selling things to earn the money to pay for their trip.

Since the students were given nearly a full year to earn the money themselves, I asked her what her son and some of his friends intended to do to earn money. She was surprised I would ask such a question and told me that they weren't expected to do anything.

After her son graduated from high school, he enrolled in college but dropped out after a few months, moved back home and spent his days playing video games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting