Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:46 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,434,023 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. health officials have uncovered trace amounts of the chemical melamine in one sample of infant formula sold in the United States, a Food and Drug Administration spokeswoman said on Tuesday.

The amount found in the sample was no cause for concern, said FDA spokeswoman Judy Leon said. "There's no basis for concern because we're talking about trace levels that are so low ... that there's absolutely no risk," she told Reuters.

U.S. officials find trace of melamine in baby formula - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081125/ts_nm/us_food_melamine_infants - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:21 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,449,747 times
here come the breast nazi's.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:09 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,448,634 times
why is it ok to have even trace amounts in the formula??!
i love it when people talk like they dont care. i guess she doesnt have kids.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:10 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,448,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
here come the breast nazi's.
i hope not--some women just cannot breast feed for different reasons, or they dont have enough milk. what are they supposed to do, get a wet nurse?

Old 11-26-2008, 04:36 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,449,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i hope not--some women just cannot breast feed for different reasons, or they dont have enough milk. what are they supposed to do, get a wet nurse?
breast is best.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:52 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,960,148 times
Well, if the FDA says it's safe, then it's safe. The FDA would never ever lie about anything. They are totally and utterly dedicated to preserving the health of the people, NOT their own pocketbooks. Their "research" is funded by completely unbiased parties in all matters. I can't believe this is even being discussed... why question them??

(I know sometimes it's hard to convey/read sarcasm on web writing, so let me assure that I'm writing this with my tongue FIRMLY in cheek!)

Old 11-26-2008, 07:06 AM

650 posts, read 2,175,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
Actually, The answer to your question would be yes. Breast milk is best, followed by expressed milk from the mother, next would be human milk from a donor (or "wet nurse") and then as a last resort you should use artificial milk (AKA formula).

Call me a breastfeeding Nazi if you want, but only an incredibly small percentage of women physically CANNOT breastfeed or don't make enough milk. Many people are sabotaged by lack of support, drugs during birth, inexperienced staff in the hospital giving out breast shields, etc. and they give up. Breastfeeding is hard and it takes a lot of work in some cases; a lot of women just can;t be bothered. I know that I wouldn't have given up on breastfeeding my oldest so easily if I wasn't told by doctors and nurses that formula feeding was just as healthy. Nrfichett is right, breast is best, and formula is not even second best.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:08 AM

650 posts, read 2,175,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Well, if the FDA says it's safe, then it's safe. The FDA would never ever lie about anything. They are totally and utterly dedicated to preserving the health of the people, NOT their own pocketbooks. Their "research" is funded by completely unbiased parties in all matters. I can't believe this is even being discussed... why question them??

(I know sometimes it's hard to convey/read sarcasm on web writing, so let me assure that I'm writing this with my tongue FIRMLY in cheek!)
Ahhh bean, once again you offer a well written voice of reason, with just a hint of humor to off-set the tone. WEll said, my friend. Heaven forbid we think that the FDA is anything but completely truthful!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,915,813 times
I like how they don't say WHAT formula it was found in.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,908,131 times
How can they dare to say that the melamine in the formula here is completely safe, when we know what happened to the children in China? It is at the minimum a cause for concern.

And can we stop throwing around the "Nazi" term so willy-nilly? It's really quite offensive. Please consider what the actual Nazis did, and quit comparing mere enthusiasts to Nazis. Not so much because it demonizes the enthusiasts, but because it trivializes the real horrors of the Holocaust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting