U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 AM

8,178 posts, read 14,270,213 times

Advertisements

This is so important. My children and even grandchildren are grown and I didn't know there was such a program. I had taught my children basic floating before they were a year and I taught them to not be afraid of water on their face before that. When they were tiny infants, I used to take them into the shower with me for my daily shower many days. It got them comfortable with having water on their heads and faces and they never had that fear so when I started them in the tub, they never panicked if they fell, slipped, toppled over. We used to make it a game and blowing bubbles under water became a favorite.

If you have a pool, this is great! Just in case the above links don't work:

Welcome to Infant Swimming Resource
Baby Swimming~The Gentle Journey
Child Drowning Prevention .....Your First Line Of Defense - Survival Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
Baby animals of all species are natural swimmers, and have no instinctive fear of water. Throw a newborn kitten or calf or kangaroo or giraffe or moose in the lake and it will swim.

Margaret Mead reported in Samoa that babies were thrown in the ocean as soon as their cord came off. They could swim perfectly, and never had to be taught to swim. Children there spend more play-time in the water than on land.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-02-2009 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting