U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Reputation: 11428

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
trust me, i've STOPPED looking at porn, i got busted a few weeks ago, and haven't looked at porn since.
If I had a dollar for every time that I got "busted" for looking at porn growing up, I'd be living in Beverly Hills! My father is very, very computer-savvy, and he had some sort of spy program set up that would secretly record all of my Internet activities and send daily reports of my site visits to his e-mail account. Even if I tried deleting our browser history, deleting cookies, doing a system restore, etc., I still wouldn't be able to effectively erase my tracks. I think they've grown to the point where they just don't think it's a point worth fighting anymore since I'm hurting nobody besides myself.

Trust me, you say that you're through forever with looking at porn now because you were just "busted," but give it a few months or a year and your curiosity and hormones will get the better of you and you'll glance at another site or two (only to be busted again, as I was! LOL!)

 
Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 AM
 
Location: In the woods next to the ocean
4,038 posts, read 8,614,274 times
Reputation: 6213
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
...Even if I tried deleting our browser history, deleting cookies, doing a system restore, etc., I still wouldn't be able to effectively erase my tracks.
Did you ever think of doing a clean install of the OS and your internet programs on an external HD and booting from that?
 
Old 02-21-2008, 06:02 AM
 
Location: NJ
7,126 posts, read 13,809,115 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
OK, so I'm obviously not trolling - and also hoping I won't receive a bunch of nonsense for this thread. Last night I discovered that my son has yet again betrayed my trust by cruising for porn sites on my personal computer. I was so grossed out by the names of the websites alone that I couldn't even bring myself to click on the links.

The irony of this situation is that my son is so ashamed of this episode that he could barely focus on his homework project last night. He felt so bad about it he even suggested different (extremely harsh) forms of punishment that I could mete out against him.

The reason I am here and discussing this extremely personal (to me) info is because as stated earlier, this is not the first time this has happened. We had an incident a little over a year ago, and that actually fried up the whole operating system on the old PC and now I'm worried for my new laptop.

I would like to find out if anyone has experience with something like this, and what I/we can do to curtail this nasty habit of my son, going forward.
I'll tell you what, you surely aren't alone. I build / fix computers as a hobby; I can't tell you the number of computers I've had here that have porn on it. Boys that you'd never think looked at this stuff.. well they do. I can tell you that you not only have to worry about real sites with naked people but the sexual anime as well. One kid was looking at cartoons that were very explicit. I have 2 computers here that are both down (again) due to the 16 year old kid downloading & installing Limewire & when I backed the drives up, found a file title hot lesbian xxx.. this is a straight A student. I told his SF.. it's normal. How can he not be tempted by it when the world is at his fingertips? I'll be sure to protect it this time as last time porn wasn't found... I actually thought the kid was younger.

IDK if you've read about the teacher on trial for kids looking at porn in her classroom? There are sites that act as a backdoor, the kids probably found it by accident typing in a real site wrong (from what was found on the teachers hard drive). So not only do you have to worry about stuff like what you found, you also have to worry about the other sites as well.

Anyway, what windows system are you running XP or Vista? If you are running XP do you have IE7? Are you also using Firefox? Do you have antivirus & a firewall program? FWIW, as was mentioned, most browsers (IE/Firefox) have parental filters, you click on tools at the top of the page, then select internet options. Look for the content tab. You can set it so that the pages that are shown have different levels of maturity.

Also, since this is a shared computer, you might think to set up another user account.. one for him and password yours so that he just can't switch back & forth. When you make his, make sure it is not an admin account as he will be able to download / install programs if it is. If for some reason he does need to download & install, it's easy to go back to the users in the control panel, then give admin access, download & install, then go back and change the account type. This will make it easier on you as you can parental control his account but not your own. You also have to remember to log off of your account when you get up to say use the bathroom as he might think he has a few minutes to "surf"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I have a pretty high tolerance for gore - not even pictures of the now infamous Porsche girl really phased me. But I have encountered some things online that I cannot "unsee" to this day. I don't want my son to suffer such a fate especially concerning sex.
My ex had stuff on our computer that I found when he "left". Disgusting... as it's still fresh in my mind almost 10 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceandflight View Post
Nikki Catsouras only 18...died in a car crash. There are photos circulating on the internet and they're pretty disturbing.
Weird you mention that. I'd saved the pics on my drive when it happened to show my hubby as the photos were being blocked on various sites that day. I'd never seen anything so, so... (sad / disgusting)... and had to share it with him. I found them the other day.
 
Old 02-21-2008, 06:08 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 3,361,199 times
Reputation: 1105
Oh Please get a grip. He is 14.. tell me when you were 14 you did not try to get a hold of porn in some form. Either your daddies movies, a friends Play Boy, or Heck even National Geographic.

Its Natural. He is Sexually curious.. bet he wacks off too. Its normal. Sheesh be thankful.

I have caught my14 year old son as well.. I didn't go ballistic as it seems you did. Its time to have that sit down talk about Sex and Love and the Birds and the Bee's. Before you have a little girl moving in with you because she has your boy's baby. He is confused, he is maturing, and he needs a level head and for it to be explained to him. CALMLY.

This is not a trust issue.. this is a mental and physical issue. Relax, take a deep breath and go have that talk. Make him know he can come to you about this stuff, because if he cant.. where is he gonna go to figure it all out?
 
Old 02-21-2008, 06:18 AM
 
2,486 posts, read 6,117,522 times
Reputation: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Oh Please get a grip. He is 14.. tell me when you were 14 you did not try to get a hold of porn in some form. Either your daddies movies, a friends Play Boy, or Heck even National Geographic.

Its Natural. He is Sexually curious.. bet he wacks off too. Its normal. Sheesh be thankful.
If you read previous posts, you will see that the OP says she had no issue with natural exploration---she even gave him some of her OWN playboy magazines---its the more "hardcore" and "fetish" stuff that can be found online that has her concerned...and rightfully so. I do not think 2girls1cup is a healthy fetish and I think there are many others inclined to agree with me
 
Old 02-21-2008, 06:23 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 3,361,199 times
Reputation: 1105
I understand that.. There are many things out there, and it is easier to get at now than ever before. And that is why I said they need to have that talk and make that kid know that nothing is off limits to talk about with the parent.. because if they see these sites, they may find that acceptable and the norm.

He needs to feel secure, and know what is sex and love, and what is just sicko fun.
 
Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Tampa
3,975 posts, read 6,963,437 times
Reputation: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
If you read previous posts, you will see that the OP says she had no issue with natural exploration---she even gave him some of her OWN playboy magazines---its the more "hardcore" and "fetish" stuff that can be found online that has her concerned...and rightfully so. I do not think 2girls1cup is a healthy fetish and I think there are many others inclined to agree with me
great, i havent thought about that in a month, now its going to be in my head all day!!!
 
Old 02-21-2008, 08:09 AM
 
2,486 posts, read 6,117,522 times
Reputation: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I understand that.. There are many things out there, and it is easier to get at now than ever before. And that is why I said they need to have that talk and make that kid know that nothing is off limits to talk about with the parent.. because if they see these sites, they may find that acceptable and the norm.

He needs to feel secure, and know what is sex and love, and what is just sicko fun.
I think the fact that she's addressing it is her first step to talking to him. She mentioned that he was very embarrassed when she went through all of the details --how is that not talking to him?

I think you're jumping to conclusions here
 
Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Tampa
3,975 posts, read 6,963,437 times
Reputation: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I think the fact that she's addressing it is her first step to talking to him. She mentioned that he was very embarrassed when she went through all of the details --how is that not talking to him?

I think you're jumping to conclusions here
id say hes embarrassed more about getting caught (prob with wood) by his mom than what hes looking at.
 
Old 02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 3,361,199 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I think the fact that she's addressing it is her first step to talking to him. She mentioned that he was very embarrassed when she went through all of the details --how is that not talking to him?

I think you're jumping to conclusions here
Not making any conclusions. I cant jump, I blame the Army. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top