Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 01:52 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times

Advertisements

as a Gen-Xer.. they are a bunch of whiny little jerks!

I keeed I keeed..

interesting read though.

Millennials (1981 to present)

"They've been told they were special since the day they were born. Their idea of one-on-one is text-messaging, but they love groups and are great team players. They don't wear watches. They find the time on their cellphones. They never had their own alarm clock. Mama got them up. Nickelodeon, Sports Illustrated for Kids, Pottery Barn for Kids, Gap Kids. For goodness' sake, Las Vegas even went family.

"Parents – both boomers and Gen Xers – thought they could give their kids self-esteem, forgetting that each one of us earns our own self-esteem."

Millennials need to get real about work world | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Cheryl Hall | Business Columnist | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/chall/stories/DN-Hall_20bus.ART.State.Edition1.399c025.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 03:06 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,024 times
Well, I like to judge people young and old as individuals....However, as a generalization I think a lot of people born to yuppie types were raised as if they were special. I can spot it a mile off. These are the college freshman who are shocked that the instructors don't give a hoot if they come to class and are looking for someone or something to blame when they fail their first semester. Or the "gifted" ones who crap out on their SAT and their parents try to get some accomodation for them....for their "learning difference". I see life is going to be very eye opening to these young people as it will be for their parents as they get sick of bailing them out of every new failure, with less and less "things" to blame the failures on.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:15 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
I love reading all this generational stuff. I read the Fouth Turning by Strauss and someone else who's name I don't reall, about how all the combinations of generations and historic events is very cyclical.

So what generation to kids born in 2008 belong to?

I wonder if the 90's millenials still in grade school will differ from the graduated Millenials (who were born in the 80's). I like to think Boomer's kids are more whiney than my awesome GenX spawn will be as adults.

And more importantly, what does this mean for summer camp? Do I ditch the plans for elightenment and culture and send them to Camp Kidney?

Old 02-23-2008, 11:33 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,855 times
well someone had to raise us that way, so perhaps we should be looking to the hippie "liberating" generation for letting their children raise themselves becasue its the natural way... or whatever...

Old 02-23-2008, 09:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Well, for what it is worth, I think this generation of kids is refreshing and interesting. I like their attitudes . . . they are very inclusive and are into recycling and not as set on the yuppie attitudes I see in GenX'ers.

This younger generation is very open to change and solutions. They are not judgmental. They are explorers and adventurers in the sense that change and finding a new way to tackle a problem does not seem to rattle them. They listen to a huge variety of music . . . they are into retro design . . . they are not so into "impressing" others as their older brothers and sisters . . . they will buy their clothes at Goodwill and save the money to put on some new electronic equipment.

I don't know about the self-esteem issues . . . have never seen that myself. my son and his friends were always very experimental kids . . . learning by trial and error and success and failure - there were no "gimmes" - so I don't get the point in what the author was saying about self esteem.

This generation of kids seems to be much more interested in global issues than in themselves . . . and I truly enjoy being around them . . .

Last edited by brokensky; 02-23-2008 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 02-26-2008, 04:48 AM

134 posts, read 525,659 times
I was born in 1984. I did not take my first year of college seriously and ended up back home but in the last two years I have found the career I know is what my life was meant for and have been going to school to study it away from home.

I have friends that disgust me the way their lives are going. They think that moving back home is a respected decision by all. "They get an apartment and a kitty, and they can't cope..." SO TRUE except my friend's "apartment" is a second story addition to her mom's house which her dad (divorced) pays for and yet she still complains. My friends lack the desire to leave what is familiar to them. The farthest any of them have lived from home is 200 miles and one lasted 9 months the other about 8.

My girlfriend and I have realized our friends are deadbeats and are gravitating towards befriending people in their 30s and older. I don't want to associate with millenials and I'm embarrassed by the way they act.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:52 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,195 times
As a Gen Xer I remember people saying the same thing about my generation!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM

119 posts, read 517,666 times
Being born in March of 1981, I think I'm going to opt out of being called a Millenian. I do not live my life like that, because I wasn't raised that way. I think being born so early in 1981, I can get a break from being labeled with that God-aweful name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting