Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 03:07 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBednar View Post
Long time lurker - first post. My blood pressure is just a wee bit high now.

My son, who just turned 18 and has NO job, NO money, NO savings, and NO credit history just pulled into the driveway with a new Ford Mustang! Well it's not 'brand new' it's a leftover from last year 2015.

I kept telling myself this must be a joke. No bank would give him a loan. Well, an "investment firm" out of Los Angeles did. His APR on the loan... 29.99%

Oh, and he bought the $3,000 extended warranty. And paid a $500 dealer doc fee.

The payment is $650/month. And we live in northern NJ and the insurance is around $350/month.

He has NO JOB and NO MONEY and NO INCOME. Zero, nadda, zilch.

After the screaming stopped I told him he must sell the car back to the dealer at a bit of a loss, sell it privately, or mail the keys back to the bank (loan shark). Of course it was "no" from him. he then goes on about how he has applied for jobs and will surely get hired. He starts college in 2 weeks and he "needs a car". While he has always been a good student and never been in trouble, he has always been terrible with handling money. For every $1 he gets, he spends $1.50.

I'm sure I'm not the first parent to go through this. Since he is 18 now he is an adult per the law and the contract was in his name. So it's his problem. But as a parent I still want to make sure he is ok.

Are there any avenues I can take to get rid of this car (even though he refuses) quickly? I'm afraid this is going to end in a loan default and his credit report will be destroyed.
Not sure about your state, but ours has a law that says you can undo any car sale within a certain time frame. I think it's 1-3 days. March him right back to the dealership and see if you can just return it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 03:29 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,786 times
I can't help but think there is more to this story. Somewhere between 0-18 years of age, someone failed to educate their "baby boy" on a thing called "consequences"....Think back Mom and Dad....how many times in the past 18 years have you bailed him out....He intentionally buried himself knowing or thinking that someone was going to bail him out.

This is one of those optimal "teaching moments"....don't blow it !

Old 08-16-2016, 03:38 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:

My son, who just turned 18 and has NO job, NO money, NO savings, and NO credit history just pulled into the driveway with a new Ford Mustang! Well it's not 'brand new' it's a leftover from last year 2015.

I kept telling myself this must be a joke. No bank would give him a loan. Well, an "investment firm" out of Los Angeles did. His APR on the loan... 29.99%

The payment is $650/month. And we live in northern NJ and the insurance is around $350/month.

After the screaming stopped I told him he must sell the car back to the dealer at a bit of a loss, sell it privately, or mail the keys back to the bank (loan shark). Of course it was "no" from him. he then goes on about how he has applied for jobs and will surely get hired. He starts college in 2 weeks and he "needs a car". While he has always been a good student and never been in trouble, he has always been terrible with handling money. For every $1 he gets, he spends $1.50.

I'm sure I'm not the first parent to go through this. Since he is 18 now he is an adult per the law and the contract was in his name. So it's his problem. But as a parent I still want to make sure he is ok.

Are there any avenues I can take to get rid of this car (even though he refuses) quickly? I'm afraid this is going to end in a loan default and his credit report will be destroyed.
He is very smart. If he gets $1 and spends $1.5, he probably got the missing $.5 by ... YOU .....every time?? He got away with it in the past. Why wouldn't it work now?

Time to teach him a lesson. DO NOT PAY FOR HIS CAR.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:39 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
3 day right of recision apply here?

Old 08-16-2016, 03:39 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
By a very odd coincidence of timing, my husband was just watching this John Oliver video on the subprime auto lending market less than 30 minutes ago....

John Oliver throws shade at subprime auto lenders - Autoblog
"take advantage of unknowing buyers by providing them with interest rates that average between 19 and 29 percent. These vehicles are also being bought at approximately two to three times Kelley Blue Book's listed value."

This is where my issue lies with this piece. The % rate is right in the contract, reading turns into knowing. Do these people not have access to kbb.com, to check the value. I'm betting even that they cannot afford a car, but they have a brand new smartphone that gets the internet.

It's hard to use the terms "take advantage," and "unknowing," when technology has put the information at your finger tips, you just have to take the smallest of steps to look for it.

I have no problems with these dealerships, if people want a car that bad and haven't even taken the tiniest step to gain information, or simply don't care, then let them make stupid decisions.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:45 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Not sure about your state, but ours has a law that says you can undo any car sale within a certain time frame. I think it's 1-3 days. March him right back to the dealership and see if you can just return it.
He doesn't want to.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:48 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Just the first in a long line of life lessons for this young man! He created his problem, let him solve it or it will solve itself! He is expecting you to step up and take care of it guaranteed!
100% agree. Do not save him from this failure. I know it will be very hard, but he needs to learn how to manage his money. Better at a young age then later in life.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:50 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
I wonder what he is going to do when he "needs a car for college" and this one has been repossessed. I'm betting the parents will fix things once again.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,489 times
Quote:

Let him learn this lesson the hard way.The car isn't in your name so don't stress.He has to learn this the hard way.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:21 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
3 day right of recision apply here?
No such thing.
However, most dealers would unwind such a deal just to avoid bad press. But it should be done the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting