Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:21 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So why should suits on the beach be required at all? I mean if people should worry about themselves what would be the issue?
Because as a society we have decided that public display of the genitals is frowned upon.

Likewise, as a society, we are beginning to dispose of archaic patriarchal baggage that are unfair. Like making young women solely responsible for the behavior of young men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 08:48 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
This is such horsesh*t and perpetuates the "boys will be boys" attitude that puts the responsibility for the boys' actions on the girls. It's such a cop-out that boys can't control themselves. And btw, girls can't be promiscuous unless there's someone to be promiscuous with.

And what, pray tell, is the media's war on men?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Haven't you heard?

The new thing is that if a group that historically has abused its power for hundreds/thousands of years is no longer automatically deferred to or catered to, they are now considered "persecuted."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Sexual behavior is not something that men should seek and women should protect. Sexual behavior is something that two willing participants may choose as long as both of them choose it. Sexual behavior does not show disrespect for oneself or for others. People engage in respectful sexual behavior all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This is an incredibly dangerous statement. It perpetuates the idea that sexual behavior by women is completely different than sexual behavior by men. If you want young women to have healthy sexual relationships as adults you cannot raise them to see sexual behavior as something that is wrong, dirty or a treat to be doled out in small increments to those who please them the most. Sexual behavior should be a choice that people make together not a treat to be doled out to those who are most deserving.
+1.

Sounds like the OP and others who hold to anachronistic "values" should just avoid the beach if seeing teenage girls in bikinis "making out with boys" offends his puritanical sensibilities.

Good thing there are others who couldn't give two ****s about other people's antiquated mumbo-jumbo.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:57 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
ikb, don't forget the OP stated the girls were making out and being very provocative in their behavior. Of course bathing suits are okay at the beach. Letting guys put their hands all over you at 14yrs old is not okay...at the beach... Honestly, I really don't think a whole lot of touchy feely is appropriate in public no matter who you are.

*sigh* We were talking about the girls. I believe boys should be respectful HOWEVER, boy brains are so different. Girls have the power over them in these situations. I'm a "girl" and I raised two boys (who are now men).

Parents of boys have more to worry about these days because of how promiscuous girls are. Society has shifted, thanks to the media's war on men.
I really just can't even.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ray liotta goodfellas laughing.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	173962

Old 08-20-2016, 10:41 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Seems pretty normal. I think it is more worrisome if a teenager is not having sex.

Condoms and birth control should be used.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:42 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I disagree with this. I think women should value their bodies and not expose it for public consumption. Today's feminist approach with equality is lowering their self-worthiness. Parity between male and female doesn't have to be direct.

Females should respect their bodies so they don't get exploited.
You are very incorrect if you think the two are mutually exclusive.

And it is no one's business but their own.

If it bothers you, stay off the beach.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:08 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
It just takes a longer time for biological evolution to catch up with societal evolution.

My great -grandmother was married at 14 but girls then were raised in preparation for that.

At 14 a girl knew how to keep a home & raise children. Tyoically the girls were married to older men but a teenage boy knew how to hunt, farm, protect & provide for women & children.

Just because 100 years ago or so we decided to change the rules does not mean biology changes that fast.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:09 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
ikb, don't forget the OP stated the girls were making out and being very provocative in their behavior. Of course bathing suits are okay at the beach. Letting guys put their hands all over you at 14yrs old is not okay...at the beach... Honestly, I really don't think a whole lot of touchy feely is appropriate in public no matter who you are.

*sigh* We were talking about the girls. I believe boys should be respectful HOWEVER, boy brains are so different. Girls have the power over them in these situations. I'm a "girl" and I raised two boys (who are now men). Parents of boys have more to worry about these days because of how promiscuous girls are. Society has shifted, thanks to the media's war on men.
No. No no no. Attitudes like "but but boys brains are different" are part of the problem. If a boy and girl are making out and touching each other in public, that's on both of them. They're both making a decision to do that with one another and one is not more to blame than the other. This attitude is along the same lines as "women should cover up so they don't get raped because men can't control themselves when they see cleavage (or whatever)." You literally said their brains are different somehow therefore women should alter or watch their behavior FOR the guys. No no. Men are able to control themselves, just like women, it's a matter of whether or not they are willing to. I know plenty of men who can control themselves and do.

I'm sad you raised boys with your attitude.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:16 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Vision33r must be real fun at parties

Old 08-20-2016, 12:04 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I disagree with this. I think women should value their bodies and not expose it for public consumption. Today's feminist approach with equality is lowering their self-worthiness. Parity between male and female doesn't have to be direct.

Females should respect their bodies so they don't get exploited.
Moms used to not allow skimpy bathing suits on 14-year-olds. Who is paying for those suits? Unless the girls have jobs at that age, the parents are buying those. Not that more modest suits would make a difference, really. There also used to be moms who wouldn't allow 14-year-old girls hang out with or date 17-year-old boys. Oh well. Times change.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:07 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It just takes a longer time for biological evolution to catch up with societal evolution.

My great -grandmother was married at 14 but girls then were raised in preparation for that.

At 14 a girl knew how to keep a home & raise children. Tyoically the girls were married to older men but a teenage boy knew how to hunt, farm, protect & provide for women & children.

Just because 100 years ago or so we decided to change the rules does not mean biology changes that fast.
In your great-grandmother's day, many 14-year-olds hadn't entered puberty yet. How did marriage in those cases work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting