U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:10 AM

25,043 posts, read 14,247,772 times

Advertisements

I found out by like nine/ten just because I woke up and caught my parents putting the gifts out rather than Santa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 11:33 AM

1,489 posts, read 2,546,576 times
18. He still wanted the extra presents.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:59 AM

5,036 posts, read 6,151,972 times
I really don't remember how old I was, maybe 8??? My oldest daughter believed until she was 8 or 9. My youngest is 9 and I think she knows the truth, but she really, really wants to still believe.

Growing up, Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy...they are some of my best memories. I wanted to keep that going for my kids as long as I could.

Also wanted to add that my oldest totally played along for her little sister. They are really close, and I think she loved seeing the pure joy and excitement of her little sister as much as we did.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:16 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,945,053 times
I never was comfortable with lying to the kids about santa. I was always afraid that they would be the last in the class to know like my niece who was 12 and still thought santa was real. Give me a freaking break. My wife thinks I am a grinch but there is the whole social aspect to letting your kids know the truth. I just play it by ear and answer questions honestly as I can. If they ask if santa is real I ask them if they think he is real.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
No kids of my own, but I believed for a long time. Mom and dad thought that kids were happier when we thought that Santa set up the tree, delivered the gifts, etc. Therefore they didn't mind going to the extra work of setting up the platform (kept in a relative's garage), garden, trains, etc. on Xmas eve when I was in bed. Worked thru the night with no sleep.

If mom said that there is a Santa, then there IS a Santa, regardless of what the neighborhood and school buddies said. So I must confess to believing in Santa until .... the 3rd grade, age 8 or 9 and only because mom fessed up. Otherwise I might have believed until age 50.

That was old, even for the early 1950s, and I wonder at what age most kids stop believing today.

PS- If my wife and I would've had kiddos, you can bet we wouldn't have made the sacrifices that my parents did. They were special. When my brother came along -- 11 years my junior -- parents would begin setting up the tree and garden a week in advance, and tell him they were helping Santa out, which they should have done with me.
About 3 years after they stopped believing in 'god'

Old 08-21-2016, 02:32 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,149,387 times
I still believe in (the spirit of) Santa and I am 66. I do recall ruining it all for my brother though when he was about 8 (he is just over a year younger than I am). I probably wasn't always as nice as I am now.

My kids all bought the concept till they were around 8 I think - but pretended much longer because they loved me and didn't want to spoil it all for me - and as I said .. I still believe! I enjoyed making it all happen as much as they enjoyed it happening.

I have a friend who homeschools her twin 8 year old boys and their older 12 year old brother. All of them still believe though apparently the oldest now has a few 'questions' finally. If kids are sent to school these days I think they get told what their peers see as the 'truth' about Santa at earlier and earlier ages. What a shame in my opinion. One can never quite look at Christmas (the tree/gift/celebration side of it that is) the same way once one takes away the magic of this wonderful mythical being. Of course, some never have 'believed' and they are/that is fine too. But, in my life, it was a tradition and I like many traditions, particularly those associated with kids and family.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:35 PM

997 posts, read 496,677 times
I don't remember exactly when my kids learned Santa wasn't 'real'...My son was old, and he should have figured it out by then so I had to tell him. I didn't want him to embarrass himself at that age. He was probably 12 or so.

I knew all along practically. I learned the facts about the Easter bunny when I was 4 or 5 because we found the extra candy that matched the easter bunny candy. That was a big clue. It stood to reason if the Easter Bunny was a ruse, that so was the tooth fairy, and Santa Claus...The theme is similar, but the Easter Bunny story is kind of less believable.

Now I am much more mature, but I do believe in Santa Claus. I know he doesn't technically travel the world in his sleigh dropping toys through the chimney, but there are other types of gifts, and I attribute them to Santa.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:39 PM

4,437 posts, read 2,673,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
No kids of my own, but I believed for a long time. Mom and dad thought that kids were happier when we thought that Santa set up the tree, delivered the gifts, etc. Therefore they didn't mind going to the extra work of setting up the platform (kept in a relative's garage), garden, trains, etc. on Xmas eve when I was in bed. Worked thru the night with no sleep.

If mom said that there is a Santa, then there IS a Santa, regardless of what the neighborhood and school buddies said. So I must confess to believing in Santa until .... the 3rd grade, age 8 or 9 and only because mom fessed up. Otherwise I might have believed until age 50.

That was old, even for the early 1950s, and I wonder at what age most kids stop believing today.

PS- If my wife and I would've had kiddos, you can bet we wouldn't have made the sacrifices that my parents did. They were special. When my brother came along -- 11 years my junior -- parents would begin setting up the tree and garden a week in advance, and tell him they were helping Santa out, which they should have done with me.
I well remember when we'd drive through DT Portland, OR and yell "Santa's a fake!" when we'd see the bell ringers...(SA) My Mother was very tolerant of that....This was in 1969....

I doubt I ever "Believed" in any of them, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny....

Old 08-21-2016, 05:40 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,377,896 times
My kids were 9 and 10 when they asked me flat out to be honest. I was. And I explained that there is only a short time in life when people really believe in magic, and that is childhood. So parents don't do it to trick kids, they do it to give their kids that magic.

My 10 year old son understood that and wasnt mad. But my 9 year old daughter decided she wasnt ready to let go of the magic yet and told me to erase my brain about the conversation and now she says she believes in all that again. Funny kid.

My parents didn't believe in kids being kids so they played santa but told us it was never real. It felt weird.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:11 PM

3,861 posts, read 1,691,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Just so you know, when you're doing that, it's not for the kids; it's for you. They find it embarrassing. My wife was the same way. Kids figured it out sometime around 8-9, early elementary school. They knew, I knew they knew, and they knew that I knew. Mom however would get more and more silly in her wanting the kids to "have Santa." It was quite embarrassing at times.

And mostly parents don't have to tell kids. Mostly they figure it early on and play along like someone up thread said, to get more presents. Bless their mercenary little hearts. Actually most of them seem quite happy to be part of the Santa insiders and play Santa themselves to the little ones.
Oh well.

My father is 75 years old & now a grandpa to 15. He still does it to me & I love him for it (& lots of other things as well).

Do you think that I think for a second that I'm fooling my 14 yr old twins (or my 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28 & 30 year olds)?

Of course I know that they KNOW. And teenagers, for that matter, will get embarassed by your mere existence so I could really care less.

I have a little bit of a "special" circumstance in that I have a profoundly disabled 12 year old son who until maybe 3 years ago could not have even answered the question "What would you like for Christmas?"

I don't know if he will ever NOT believe in Santa Claus & thats ok; it's ok if he does not & it's ok if he does.

I'd prefer to keep a little bit of Magic in Christmas along with keeping the real meaning of Christmas alive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or