U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:06 PM

8,643 posts, read 4,764,101 times

Advertisements

My 11 year old nowvknows that I am Santa. And that if he still wants a present from santa, then he better not spoil the fun for his younger siblings. Or me

Hey, I never had any of that fun stuff like Christmas, or Santa, or parents, so I'm going to keep it going long in to their 30s if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:52 PM

13,984 posts, read 10,108,823 times
I was probably about 8 or 9 when I already knew, and I remember when my mom told my younger brother of about a couple of years. She finally had to tell us because kids at school would always say he didn't exist, so when we kept asking her, she couldn't keep lying to us. But my brother cried when she told him, and I felt so bad for him because I knew how it felt when I found out.

But I loved believing in Santa Claus, and I'm glad she did it. We would leave cookies and milk out for him, and after we went to bed, my mom would eat the cookies and drink the milk, leaving several crumbs on the plate. In the morning, we'd be delighted to see he had eaten them. lol

Old 08-21-2016, 10:38 PM

3,961 posts, read 2,950,154 times
My family did the whole Santa thing (and Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy) but I don't recall ever believing-believing in Santa. It was more of a make-believe game. Everyone pretended to believe, but it was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:04 AM

3,194 posts, read 2,799,980 times
My kids probably all knew by 3rd grade. The last one won't admit it.

I didn't do Easter baskets this year. There were unhappy people. I bought three sets of the huge Easter eggs the day after. I'll be hiding those in the bushes next year.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:07 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,994,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
My 11 year old nowvknows that I am Santa. And that if he still wants a present from santa, then he better not spoil the fun for his younger siblings. Or me

Hey, I never had any of that fun stuff like Christmas, or Santa, or parents, so I'm going to keep it going long in to their 30s if I can.

I say good for you and all the other parents here who feel that way.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 AM

9,045 posts, read 3,881,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Do parents generally break the bad news about the Easter Bunny at the same time?
And the tooth fairy? I was always torn between letting the kids believe in these fantasies and not wanting to lie to them. I mean what if one day they come to us and say "hey if Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny aren't real, why should I believe you now when you say there IS a God?" My boys were probably around 7 when they found out the truth.

But I admit Christmas was never the same to me when I found out there was no Santa Claus.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:14 AM

4,514 posts, read 3,760,203 times
My next door neighbor had 4 kids and a very strict view of the Bible -- no Santa Claus for them. So of course, the daughter couldn't wait to tell MY daughter, at age 5, that Santa Claus was just made up, and her parents were Santa Claus. My daughter cleverly didn't tell me she was on to me until she was 8 or 9. :-) As far as I know, my 28 year old son still believes in Santa Claus, it never came up. :-)

Old 08-22-2016, 08:40 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,027,530 times
My 8 year old claims to believe, but I think she lies :P She asks me lots of scientific questions about the speed of Santa's sleigh and weight of the presents etc... Basically, as another poster said, she is moving from the concept of Santa as a person to Santa as an idea.

My 6 year old asked me this Easter (just after she turned 6) whether the Easter Bunny is real, since we decorate the eggs, and as her classmate told her it was not real. I just told her that people believe different things (she has Jewish and Muslim kids in her class too), and what did SHE believe? She said she believed in the Easter Bunny, because it brings chocolate and she wanted Hershey's cookies-and-cream this year.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:45 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,128,128 times
My older daughter figured it out at 4. She had lied about something (washing her hands, I think), and I sat her down and had a talk about lying, and told her it was bad. She then says, well okay then, is Santa Claus real? Little stinker.

My younger son who is now 5 is a little behind the game and hasn't figured out who Santa Claus is yet. As far as he's concerned, presents just magically appear from no where. I think he may start to get it this year though. It's a good thing his older sister LOVES the idea of Santa (even though she never really believed), I'll have to get her to help me sell it to him this Christmas.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 AM

20,940 posts, read 25,614,622 times
My child never believed in Santa. He was told right from the beginning that it was a fun game and he was quite willing to participate.

He was also told that many children believe it is absolutely true and that it would not be a nice thing for him to tell them and ruin the game for them, so he kept it as a secret.

I made it a point to never lie to my child. Even today, he absolutely trusts me to never lie to him. As far as I am concerned, the Santa thing is a lie to trick your child into believing a falsehood. Many parents use the lie to manipulate their children. Not such an honest relationship.

At any rate, my child had just as much fun with it a anyone else did, so he wasn't cheated out of any childhood fantasies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or