U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:12 PM

1,758 posts, read 553,294 times

Advertisements

I think my daughter was around 8, which is a little older than most kids even in the 80's. I let her figure it out on her own just as my mother did me.

And I was at least 9 when I got my proof. I found a big plastic bowl under the guest beds with toys in it, and when I saw those same toys under the tree on Christmas morning, I was finally convinced. I had certainly heard other kids say that Santa wasn't real but I refused to believe them until I had better proof than them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 08:29 AM

854 posts, read 592,993 times
Oldest kid, now 11: I'm not sure. I know she was doubting at around age 7 (1st grade). She has a suspicious nature. We never really talked about it though.

Middle kid, now 9: I think she was highly suspicious this past year (at age 8) but still wanted to believe. My mom accidentally let it out of the bag shortly after the holidays. Oops, Grandma!

Youngest kid, age 5: Total true believer at this time. It's very cute.

I am amazed at how many parents of kids who are 11 years old (my oldest girl's classmates) think their kids still believe. Come on, Mom & Dad, you're being played.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:11 AM

516 posts, read 727,080 times
My 7 year old still believes, but has asked some questions about it. Thank god for Rise of the Guardians. They gave me a great way to address the issue. If you still believe in him, he still exists. If not, he fades away.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:42 AM

10,546 posts, read 16,189,259 times
Bump.

We just told our 10 year old last night. He was devastated.

His friends started to defect from the magic last year and the questions were growing. We did one more Christmas with Santa and it went well. But in the past few days his friends have been stating its us rather than St Nick. So we decided not to wait any longer. It was painful.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 AM

2,909 posts, read 2,628,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Bump.

We just told our 10 year old last night. He was devastated.

His friends started to defect from the magic last year and the questions were growing. We did one more Christmas with Santa and it went well. But in the past few days his friends have been stating its us rather than St Nick. So we decided not to wait any longer. It was painful.
We will be doing this Christmas 2018. Our son will be 10 in a couple of weeks. That's really the end. I think he knows and has known but doesn't want to let go. Our daughter is 8 and will be 9 by next Christmas. I think she also has suspicions as she's asked whether or not he's real. I told her if she believed he was real than he was. I know their friends have told them he isn't real and that it's us giving them presents.

I'm ready for it to end. I would love to start doing trips at Christmas.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We will be doing this Christmas 2018. Our son will be 10 in a couple of weeks. That's really the end. I think he knows and has known but doesn't want to let go. Our daughter is 8 and will be 9 by next Christmas. I think she also has suspicions as she's asked whether or not he's real. I told her if she believed he was real than he was. I know their friends have told them he isn't real and that it's us giving them presents.

I'm ready for it to end. I would love to start doing trips at Christmas.

Personally, I will miss playing the clandestine role of Santa. Cookies and milk, NORAD tracker, notes, etc. I ran the gamut and did well. Kind of a victim of my own success.

We watched the Polar Express and I attempted to use that theme i.e. Santa is a symbol of the goodness of Christmas. He does exist, but in a spiritual rather than physical presence.

End of the innocence ....

Old 12-29-2017, 10:13 AM

2,140 posts, read 1,033,848 times
My son is almost 8 and still believes but I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t next year. He asked a lot of questions about it this year and is very logical so it’s only a matter of time.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:46 AM

3,344 posts, read 2,686,577 times
We never did Santa as something real. It was more of a game. My son asked around age 6 if Santa was real and said he didnt think one person could deliver all of those gifts. I confirmed that parents are Santa but told him not to tell his friends. My daughter never really believed, I don’t think. As far as I know, they didn’t spoil it for any friends.

They are teenagers now and we still don’t put out the gifts until late Christmas Eve and we do refer to Santa bringing them, though.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:34 PM

637 posts, read 604,922 times
Mine was 8 when he learned that Santa isn't real. I think he learned it in school because I didn't tell him. I would have rather let him experience that part of childhood for as long as he could.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
Mine was 8 when he learned that Santa isn't real. I think he learned it in school because I didn't tell him. I would have rather let him experience that part of childhood for as long as he could.
Was he sad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or