U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 09:45 AM

5,700 posts, read 4,685,067 times

Advertisements

Oldest was 6 when she figured it out for herself, her younger sister was 7.

They are 6 years apart, so older daughter loved being a "conspirator" in helping us play out the Santa fantasy for her little sister.

Oldest grandson is now four, and we couldn't light a fire in the fireplace this Christmas Eve...he didn't want Santa to get burned when he came down the chimney! One of his gift boxes was dented (in delivery), and we told him a reindeer stepped on it. I left a half empty cup of cold coffee and a bunch of cookie crumbs on the table after he went to bed. He thought Santa had eaten them.

I stopped believing when I was 6...but my dad tried very hard to put it off as long as possible. Every time a helicopter flew over the house in the summer, he would tell me that it was Santa checking up on me. He had to fly a helicopter because he couldn't use his sleigh in summer.

Edit: We had a close call with my grandson! To explain, my room when I'm at their house is on the first floor...the previous owners used it for an exercise room. It used to have exercise equipment, a hot tub, and a sauna. The hot tub was removed, and the sauna was taken out, but it's still used as a big walk in closet. It still has the glass door, and three rows of seats (used for shelves). My daughter thought it would be a nifty place to hide the kids' presents...until oldest grandson looked through the glass door and saw the Duplo train his baby brother was getting (luckily that's ALL he saw). He sure didn't forget that! We had to immediately move the presents out and hide them upstairs.

And he DID remember that train Christmas morning when his brother unwrapped it..."That's the train that was in Nan's closet!!!" I explained that it was a present from Mama and Daddy, NOT Santa, and Mama had hidden it in my closet for a surprise. WHEW!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 05:30 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,488,096 times
By six my boys figured out that Reindeer didn't fly through the sky around the whole world in one night. It didn't decrease their excitement about Christmas though!

Old 01-02-2018, 06:04 PM

2,408 posts, read 738,743 times
I had a cousin who didn't stop believing in Santa until she was older. It was forced on her by her mother and it wasn't a healthy situation at all. Her mom wanted to keep the belief going even when the girl was in junior high school, and other kids were laughing at her about still believing in Santa.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:58 PM

620 posts, read 575,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Was he sad?
No, he wasn’t.

If I remember the conversation correctly, it went like this:

Me: what do you want Santa to bring you for Christmas?
Son: there is no Santa Claus

He said it very matter-of-factly and continued doing his homework.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:15 PM

7,782 posts, read 2,020,405 times
My daughter asked me when she was 10 if I was Santa and I asked her what she thought and she started crying and said "I think you're Santa" and I said yes. She then asked if I was also the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny, I said yes. She cried and then she was ok. My youngest is now 9 and she was really into it this year. I know this was her last year believing and it's sad as that will be that.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM

81,711 posts, read 93,199,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Oldest was 6 when she figured it out for herself, her younger sister was 7.

They are 6 years apart, so older daughter loved being a "conspirator" in helping us play out the Santa fantasy for her little sister.

Oldest grandson is now four, and we couldn't light a fire in the fireplace this Christmas Eve...he didn't want Santa to get burned when he came down the chimney! One of his gift boxes was dented (in delivery), and we told him a reindeer stepped on it. I left a half empty cup of cold coffee and a bunch of cookie crumbs on the table after he went to bed. He thought Santa had eaten them.

I stopped believing when I was 6...but my dad tried very hard to put it off as long as possible. Every time a helicopter flew over the house in the summer, he would tell me that it was Santa checking up on me. He had to fly a helicopter because he couldn't use his sleigh in summer.

Edit: We had a close call with my grandson! To explain, my room when I'm at their house is on the first floor...the previous owners used it for an exercise room. It used to have exercise equipment, a hot tub, and a sauna. The hot tub was removed, and the sauna was taken out, but it's still used as a big walk in closet. It still has the glass door, and three rows of seats (used for shelves). My daughter thought it would be a nifty place to hide the kids' presents...until oldest grandson looked through the glass door and saw the Duplo train his baby brother was getting (luckily that's ALL he saw). He sure didn't forget that! We had to immediately move the presents out and hide them upstairs.

And he DID remember that train Christmas morning when his brother unwrapped it..."That's the train that was in Nan's closet!!!" I explained that it was a present from Mama and Daddy, NOT Santa, and Mama had hidden it in my closet for a surprise. WHEW!!!!
Ha! My husband is the youngest of three boys. When he was six, his older brothers took him to the attic and showed him the Christmas presents. The next oldest bro was only 8 himself. DH said he still believed.

My kids both figured it out at 8 by themselves. However, the younger one and I were out shopping by ourselves that year, and went in a store with a Santa Claus. She wanted to talk to him and I let her.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:07 PM

475 posts, read 340,093 times
My biological father was a mall santa. Both of my natural parents were, for whatever reason, against imbuing me with a sense of those fantasies (Santa, tooth fairy, etc). So, I never believed. I feel like I wouldn't want to do the Santa thing with my own kids, either, but I won't have to worry about that.

Old Today, 03:23 PM

850 posts, read 564,965 times
I'm not sure when my oldest was. She has a doubting nature, but I do recall her being 7 and still believing, although starting to question. If I had to guess, I'd say 7 or 8. We never had an explicit conversation about it.

My mother accidentally pilled the beans to my middle child just before her 9th birthday. The look on her little face was one of complete shock. She recovered nicely, though, and enjoys being perpetuating the fantasy with our youngest child, who is now 6 and absolutely believes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting