U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 10:53 PM

61 posts, read 26,822 times

Advertisements

My daughter turned 7 in Dec.

She still holds the magic in her heart, but the harshness of the sober world is beginning to create pressure cracks in the shield. She told me - in confidence - last month that the Santa that she was going to take pics with at the Mall was actually not the real Santa. He was apparently an actor who plays the role for the public because the real Santa was too busy making toys in the North Pole.

Of course, I dramatically argued that her conclusion was Crazy Talk and that the Santa at the Mall HAD to be the real Santa because he was fat, wore a red suit and had a nice white beard - no actor could look like that. I pointed out that Santa has magic abilities that allows him to zip and zoom across the World in a flash. After trying to rebut my arguments, she walked away with a look of resignation that I was an incorrigibly lost case who was simply naive to the some of the harsh realities in the World.

My personal view on the magical things of Youth is to maintain them for as long as I can for my own daughter. It is a battle that cannot be won as we all grow older whether we like it or not: Being young and innocent and blissfully ignorant of the seriousness and difficulties that Life inevitably brings for all of us is truly the magical time of our lives.

She is my only child, so I don't know when the magic of Santa should appropriately pass away gently to that same place that Puff the Magic Dragon, Chloe the Hatchimal and Elmo currently reside in...I suppose we all know we are there when we are there...

"At one time, most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 02:53 AM

6,117 posts, read 5,141,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I can't imagine most children believe in Santa past the age of 5. Really, I'm kind of surprised that kids who are older believe in this fantasy. I think some parents force the belief on their children, for whatever reason.
Not "force"...just trying to preserve the magic for as long as possible. They have the rest of their lives to be jaded, practical and cynical, and that's coming far to soon. I remember my dad would tell "bedtime stories" (or any-time-of-day stories) that he made up...about me playing outside with my friend in the summer, and Santa's helicopter landing in our yard, and the elves took us up to the North Pole where Santa showed us the workshop, and Mrs. Clause gave us lunch (he went into a description of that too). He was such a masterful story teller, made it seem so real, my playmate and I really believed it and hung on his every word. It made Christmas and Santa last all year for us (he told these stories year round). Of course, this was the early 60's, we didn't watch much television, and there was more room for pretend.

We try very hard to keep the fantasy going with oldest grandson (he's 4, youngest is 1 and still too young to believe). We dumped "fake snow" with glitter added on the stone hearth in front of the fireplace and made boot tracks through it. You should have seen his eyes! He didn't question why it didn't "melt", but we would have told him it was magic.

And the Easter Bunny always left baskets for my girls (even though they didn't believe)...up until their late teens (when oldest left home). We'd take a mini vacation trip for the long Easter break weekend, and Easter morning would find us in a motel room. I'd go out to the car at 4:00 in the morning, get the candy and stuff from the trunk, and sit in the lobby putting the baskets together. I'd give a bunch of candy to the desk clerk, too. Then I'd go back to our room, put the baskets on the table, and when they'd wake up..."The Easter Bunny found our room, guys! He didn't forget you!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or