Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 10:27 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,041,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It may be a good idea but it should have been communicated to families more than 2 weeks ahead of time that it would the schedule for the first week. School shouldn't be considered childcare but it's still a reality that if you know your child is going to be in school during certain scheduled hours, you don't arrange for childcare during those hours.
I agree. The most frustrating thing about this type of thing is the short notice.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,802,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It may be a good idea but it should have been communicated to families more than 2 weeks ahead of time that it would the schedule for the first week. School shouldn't be considered childcare but it's still a reality that if you know your child is going to be in school during certain scheduled hours, you don't arrange for childcare during those hours.
Not saying that this is the case with this poster, but I can tell you from personal experience that it's possible to announce something in a letter, an email. a text alert, a voicemail message, on the website, in the local paper, on a sign, in smoke signals, and via singing candygram and STILL have people complain they weren't informed.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:51 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,873,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
My son starts Kindergarten in four days.

Two weeks ago we were told for the first time that the Kindergarteners will have half days every day for the first week of school.

When I asked if the free after school program would be able to take care of the kids from their 12:30 release to the end of the school day for the first through fifth graders, they said "no".

Now we have to choose the pay after school program - - $400 a month so my five year old has somewhere to go after school for the first week of his life in elementary education.
Suck it up buttercup. School is not suppose to be a babysitting service. If you didn't pay the monthly fee (which is cheap BTW), the taxpayer would have to pick it up.

Or you can do the math, and maybe adjust your lifestyle so both parents don't work. My son and daughter did.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That's nice for you, especially the part where you can determine that families who have two working parents do so for material reasons rather than caring about their children.

Despite your ability for many families the difference between one working parent and two is middle class vs poor. A good neighborhood with good schools or not. And not for nothing, many people work because it fulfills them as people. Fulfilled happy parents who work while the children are at school are not doing their children any harm.
So it is important that a parent is "fulfilled"? Garbage. The first and only duty is to the child, then to their partner. Does the child come home to a parent? Or is it in after school care? Is it a latch-key kid?

When a two parent family chooses that both work, in most cases it is exactly that, a choice. How do I know? My ex-wife didn't work until the kids were old enough to babysit, my son's wife doesn't work (he is a tradesman, she a professional who quit a job making considerably more than him), my daughter doesn't work (she IS a teacher in a high salary area) and both myself and my kids have always owned homes, and never had payments other than mortgages.

Choices. And if you need the feel good thing about fulfillment as the excuse for working rather than caring for your kids, you need to look at why you had kids in the first place. Choices. What material things do you think you need, and don't. Choices.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:02 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,258,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Choices. And if you need the feel good thing about fulfillment as the excuse for working rather than caring for your kids, you need to look at why you had kids in the first place. Choices. What material things do you think you need, and don't. Choices.
Did you really just say that two-income families don't care for their kids?

Old 08-26-2016, 11:16 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,520,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Everyone lives in a town where all the teachers are pushing six figures despite the national averages being 57K. Strange statistically, that.

Anyway, the average elementary teacher has 25 students, two sessions of parent conferences, iep meetings, disciplinary meetings, and lets just keep it to those. So suppose all those parents want to meet on the teachers off time and we will ignore the times when parents who are divorced want a separate meeting for each parent (happens often) that would be an average of 3 meetings a week. Assuming they do not demand meeting on weekends, that means that 60% of workdays, teachers would have to meet parents on their own time. Hardly periodically now is it.
Never said everyone lives in a town where teachers are pushing 6 figures. I said many here make over $80K and start out over $40K a year. They are required to have a bachelor's and master's degree in my state. They also have to hold certifications in a variety of things in order to teach. NYS has one of the highest per pupil costs in the nation and a huge portion of that expense is teacher salaries. I know when I lived in SC, teachers were not paid nearly as well. My cousin was a teacher in NC and I was shocked at how little she was paid the year she retired....ten's of thousands less than in NY.

I don't know what kind of students you have where all 25 have to have parental meetings every week! Sounds like a terrible school! I know several teachers and they do NOT have this many meetings with parents....not even close. My parents didn't have 25 meetings with all of our teachers combined in our lifetime and they have 3 kids.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Explain to me, in detail, how we can live on $30,000 per year, save for college, save for retirement, have money for a one week vacation every year, money for activities/sports for kids, etc. and I'll give you a big stinkin' kiss!! I'm waiting...pen and paper in hand.
It depends where you happen to live. In some places, $30,000 is approaching poverty. In others it is a good middle income living.

As an aside, I maintain a house in the north, an condo in Florida and a sailboat, and I make less than $2,000/month in income. An old house, a 30 year old condo, and a used sailboat. My vehicle is 12 years old that I drive back and forth with. I don't have cable or a TV. I spend $120-150 max on groceries a month, as I don't buy anything processed or prepackaged to eat. In the summer it is less as I have a garden I grow my veggies in.

I eat at a restaurant or take out maybe 3 times a year, if that, and that includes my 5 day trip driving south, as I make lunches ahead of time and have salads for supper. I have a very nice lifestyle, on very little money. My vehicle needs a brake job right now. I am doing it tomorrow in my garage. Even my son-in-law knows that YouTube explains exactly how to do a brake job, as he did it while I watched him. Choices. I haven't had a car payment since I was 23, as I figured out it is better to pay cash for used as opposed to having the "status" of new early. My children pay cash for their vehicles and always have. Choices. Credit cards get paid off each month or not used. Choices. Neither me or my children took vacations outside of camping for years. No Hawaii or Caribbean. Choices.

Do you have car payments? That is YOUR choice. Do you take vacations away? That is YOUR choice. Do you go to McDonald's, KFC or a restaurant frequently for meals? That is YOUR choice. Go to movies and have cable rather than Netflix? That is YOUR choice. The latest smartphone on a payment plan rather than paying cash for the phone and on a prepaid plan? That is YOUR choice. Buy processed foods because of the convenience? That is YOUR choice. Rather than doing regular maintenance repairs yourself, you go to Jiffy Lube or dealership? That is YOUR choice. Don't buy items such as toilet paper in bulk when the sales are on? That is YOUR choice.

All of those issues can be adjusted and changed. All of them. You choose, but you do have choices.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Nope, but I sure hear the whining about how they have to adjust their life styles to be fully involved in their kids upbringing. If they are whining, change the way you live your life. Your child is more important than your inconvenience. Always.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:22 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,041,294 times
In most cases, I see little excuse to miss this kind of thing. What if this kid gets sick? Someone will have to be able to leave work.

If you work 12 hour shifts like a nurse, then you probably only work 3/ week. If you work on a fishing boat or oil rig, then the other parent better be around. If you work m-f 8-5 then you probably have pto or flex time. Even a restaurant worker who has to work 2 jobs to make ends meet, has time off between a day and a night shift, and doesn't work both jobs 7 days/week.

If I worked 12 hour shifts and only saw my kids when they were getting ready for school, I would jump at this chance to take a day or even a half day with them to meet their teacher, have lunch, go back to school shopping.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:24 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,350,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
And in the same post referred to children as "it" several times. Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting