Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,804,382 times

Advertisements

We homeschool. My daughter has OCD and school was always difficult for her. She was okay at school but had a horrible time sleeping at night (would wander the house crying most of the night) and barely ate during the school year. She was very withdrawn all year and would just relax enough to start talking a lot at home again in July, only to have to go back to school in August.

We're actually using an online public school. So we get the same curriculum she would have in the neighborhood school, and support from teachers when necessary, but we have more flexibility with hours that we do school work and she's much more relaxed. There are tons of homeschool groups in my area that we can socialize with when we choose to. Sometimes she just doesn't feel like it and I don't force the issue. She has classmates that she exchanges emails with on a daily basis. She also has no problem talking to adults and to older kids. She can't stand smaller kids (because her OCD tells her little kids have too many germs) and she can't stand anything that's even slightly religious, so some homeschooling groups are just plain a bad fit for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 03:46 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,260,188 times
Online public school sounds interesting. Groups/clubs/church could provide social interaction.

I don't think it's fair to say HOMESCHOOL DEFINITELY when the OP said she really cannot do it - she's tried. I can understand that and I admire someone who says "it doesn't work" as opposed to someone who isn't effective as a homeschool teacher for their child, yet stubbornly perseveres.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:05 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,692,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNWMama View Post
And..this got my attention because this is the very reason I had her in the Montessori charter! They are encouraged to be very independent and do have a lot more leeway..so she already is used to this! So, as much as I'd like public school to work for her, I'm now realizing she may already be in for a more restrictive experience. Hmmm..this info helps too. Thanks so much! It's a tough decision for sure.
Years ago, I put my first child in a private Montessori school. He was probably pretty gifted to start with, but the school and its teachers lit a flame under his curiosity and intellect.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,055,515 times
I would homeschool then sign her up for dance, girl scouts, Sunday School/Temple, and any of the local school groups/teams that are available.

Get her caught up academically at home and then put her in a public school situation.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:01 AM

6,874 posts, read 7,852,754 times
Let her choose.

Enroll her in public school so she can try it.

Then take her to the Waldorf school and let her experience it to the fullest extent they will allow without enrolling her.

Then she can decide where she is most comfortable. It doesn't have to be a lifetime commitment. Let her choose again next year.

You are looking at variables from an adult POV....curriculum, logical process, etc.

She is going to look at the environment, experience the sensory input, and make a choice based on a visceral response. To me, that is the response that is most important right now. If she was teased at camp for not writing, her self-confidence is the ONLY thing that needs work. She has to learn to shrug that off or shut it down and she won't learn that while homeschooling.

Get a tutor to keep her on grade level regardless of where she goes to school. She will flourish academically with some one on one attention.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:08 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,061,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Sadly, I hear this a lot with charter schools.

Personally, I'm a fan of neighborhood public schools. They HAVE to accommodate her disability. The others don't. Maybe start there and see what they think about grade placement. Maybe doing 2nd grade again would benefit her, and it wouldn't be obvious to the other students, since it' a new school for her. Good luck.

I don't know much about waldorf schools. Sounds like a good option, but is it another charter, or is it private?
I like neighborhood public schools too (at least in our school district; I don't know much about the rest of the country).

I like the sense of community & feel like they are under rated as far as public opinions go. My youngest son has had an IEP since he was 3 years old & our elementary school did an amazing job with him as well as providing great opportunities for his siblings; 2 of which were in GT programs.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,751,687 times
Priority #1 for you: Her self-confidence. Which ever environment you can muster where she is not constantly compared to peers who are ahead of her. Whether that is public school a grade behind, or home school, or whatever else you can find, she needs some time and space to catch up where she is not constantly reminded of how far behind she is. Do not put her in public school at grade level. Anything but.

Priority #2 for you: Get her caught up in reading. This year is about getting her in an environment that is not depressing, and learning how and getting excited about reading. Do whatever you have to do, tutors, Kumon, Hooked on Phonics, All About Reading, etc. Get her caught up in reading. Be as encouraging as possible. Make her work hard. When she makes progress from working hard, celebrate that progress as if she had climbed Mt. Everest. She needs to feel pride in her own work and confidence in herself that she can do it.

These are the two things I think are the most important for this year. This is what I would base my decision on, if I were in your shoes. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:36 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,237,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNWMama View Post
I'm really in a difficult spot?

Any thoughts? I would prefer the public school track but I hate the idea of her being in a situation in which everyone is once again ahead of her. She's been through so much, I'd like her to feel like she's on the same page as everyone else for a change.
If you can afford the Waldorf, go for it...I home schooled myself (correspondence), my last child was given a computer for online courses...worked well for us. I wouldn't have hesitated though to put him in Waldorf..it seems they turn out well rounded , very polite, respectful young kids, who aren't hung up on fads and materialism like a lot of kids in public schools are.

You can bet she'd have no trouble fitting in, and at the same level as her peers.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:58 AM

8 posts, read 6,809 times
I thought I would share this, as it might help others and I'm happy to respond to anyone who has questions down the road. After visiting the Waldorf school I was considering, I am absolutely in love with it and my daughter wants to go. (She even spoke to the teacher and one of the students, which I know was hard for her!) She will be starting 2nd grade there..and is actually at the perfect level academically for this.

After meeting the teachers and the parents, I saw no evidence of weirdness or wackyness whatsoever. The parents are normal, down-to-earth families looking for something different for their kids...as are the teachers.

The teachers prefer little to no media, as an ideal..but are realistic and realize many students do watch a little TV and use devices each day. They simply encourage limiting this and avoiding it right before school and before bed (which I do anyway!). There is certainly no pressure about this whatsoever but they do share their views on the reasons for this. To my surprise, one teacher even told me they have a large TV in the livingroom and her Waldorf son loves star wars!

As far as the "same art and color" lessons, there are some wonderful articles online about this. It has nothing to do with any weird belief but more of method of teaching layer by layer. It would be much like children in a music class. In a music class, all the children would, at first, learn the same notes, the same songs, etc..and build on each step until have a solid foundation and then are free to create from there. Would you teach every child a different note simultaneously? That would be a bit chaotic. So..this is the same approach with art. They build on it. And, interestingly, the teachers can also learn a lot about a child's learning style via the art and then can approach them with this knowledge in mind. There is actually a lot of info about this that would take too long to describe here. In this school, children also have "free art time" where they can do whatever they wish with whatever colors they wish. I have yet to hear about any child being traumatized by this, as described in another post here. My daughter is so excited to know she will have a paint brush in her hand every day.

I was blown away by how thoughtful the teachers are about the truly meeting each child where they are emotionally and academically. I also had the chance to meet some of the 5th-8th graders at a school picnic and I was extremely impressed with how polite, respectful and articulate these kids were. They looked me in the eye and shook my hand and exuded a confidence I don't usually see in middleschoolers. One girl offered to help my daughter when she had bark chips in her socks and handled her awkward shyness beautifully. One student has a book she just self-published about animals and how they help people heal. And..yes..she used a computer to do this!

According to the 2nd teacher's plan for the year, my daughter will receive reading, writing, math, and science instruction throughout the year...and this is mixed in with art, music, dance, and outdoor exploration and field trips.

But best of all, this was my favorite part. This is the exact wording from the info her teacher gave us: Under the HOMEWORK heading on the handout:

"Similar to first grade, your child's homework is your homework too! This includes daily chores at home, healthy outside play, being read to each night, regular mealtimes and bedtime, and conversation/snuggle time with you! Please feel free to have fun with the times tables, mental math, reading signs, menus, books, going to the library, helping your child make change at the store, building or arts projects, and being physically active together."

Okay..I'm sold. We start next seek and time will tell! Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting