Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
No. I passed on the baby furniture to others who appreciated it. No reason to leave a shrine to babyhood once the family outgrows it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I think it's a good idea to keep a Pack and Play and appropriately sized mattress stashed in a closet for guests as needed, but an entire room seems unnecessary.
This.

Keeping an entire room as a dedicated nursery seems a bit much. In my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 02:37 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
Keep a Pack N Play. People traveling with an infant are going to want them to sleep in the same room with the baby. Infants also will sleep better in a strange home with parents near them, not isolated in an unfamiliar room.

Keep a small toy chest packed away with stuff if you feel you need to have toys on hand for other people's babies. You don't need a dedicated room for other people's small children. You want these children to play in the living room, family room, etc. where people can easily keep an eye on them, not in a nursery somewhere else in the house.

I would get rid of the nursery and use it for a guest room, computer room, home office, craft room, etc.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I suppose if I'd had a bunch of regular guests with small children, then this might have made sense. As it was, my house was small, so it was all passed on immediately after the last kid out-grew the crib.
Ditto. Our kids were the youngest on both sides of the family as well. If we ever have grandchildren, we can buy a Pack and Play. They didn't have those when our kids were little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Agreed. Don't you have something else you can do with the room?
Gosh, yes. We turned our oldest's room into a library after she got married.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:52 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ditto. Our kids were the youngest on both sides of the family as well. If we ever have grandchildren, we can buy a Pack and Play. They didn't have those when our kids were little.

Gosh, yes. We turned our oldest's room into a library after she got married.
Our youngest as well, by far. But I remember when my in-laws pulled out the baby furniture from god only knows when and I was terrified to use it for my kids. Goodness safety standards have changed! I agree, if you have company with small kids, buy a pack n play. They are not too costly.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Keep a Pack N Play. People traveling with an infant are going to want them to sleep in the same room with the baby. Infants also will sleep better in a strange home with parents near them, not isolated in an unfamiliar room.

Keep a small toy chest packed away with stuff if you feel you need to have toys on hand for other people's babies. You don't need a dedicated room for other people's small children. You want these children to play in the living room, family room, etc. where people can easily keep an eye on them, not in a nursery somewhere else in the house.

I would get rid of the nursery and use it for a guest room, computer room, home office, craft room, etc.
I agree. Unless, you in a house like Downton Abby, who in the heck has that many extra bedrooms? Sheesh!

That reminds me of a teenager who, after her bedroom turned into something out of the show Hoarders, moved into her older brother's empty bedroom (he had moved out because he got married).

Old 09-04-2016, 04:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Unless you live in a historic mansion where one room is The Nursery from one generation to the next, I would not. I'd think visitors with a child small enough to use a nursery would rather share a room with their baby when traveling. If you have a particularly nice crib and/or changing table, though, and spacious rooms, you might keep that in a guest bedroom along with the regular bedroom set, if you frequently have guests who have babies.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:10 PM

509 posts, read 554,661 times
Sounds like a question a hoarder would ask.

Unless you have people with babies coming over several times a week, this serves no purpose than to quickly become a junk room.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:36 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Depends how often it's utilized.

I am all for having a quiet area for the grand babies when they visit. When my niece came to town she appreciated the quiet area for her little one.

Mine is a craft room as well..so it serves a duel purpose.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:49 AM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
This makes no sense. The OP was a high school senior in 2012.

OP, are you married, and do you even have kids???

Old 09-05-2016, 11:05 AM

41 posts, read 64,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
This makes no sense. The OP was a high school senior in 2012.

OP, are you married, and do you even have kids???
I am a cousin of the person who posted back in 2012. We share an account. I appreciate everyone's advice so far. It is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting