Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 12:44 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,594,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Elderberry may help with symptoms. We will see few studies on it because it can be marketed without doing studies. Why would a manufacturer spend the money if it does not have to? One study of 60 people is hardly conclusive.

Elderberries as a Flu Remedy - WSJ

"If you do try elderberry, inform your doctor and don't skip a flu shot, the only proven way to prevent influenza, Dr. Weber says." Weber is a naturopath, by the way.
No one will fund it so I'll take the 60 person study will have to suffice. Vitamin D also shows promise in combatting flu. Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation to prevent seasonal influenza A in schoolchildren. - PubMed - NCBI

Old 09-11-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am not sure what your point is with posting that article, but it makes a great case for vaccinating against influenza.
My point is that the medical community has greatly contributed to the death toll in healthy children after years of overprescribing anti-biotics creating antibiotic resistant staph infections. Sometimes interfering in the natural process leads to unintended negative side effects. Could our interference in trying to eradicate certain strains of the flu lead to more serious mutations and more serious strains? It's possible.

Quote:
Herd immunity for influenza has to be achieved on a season by season basis, but it is still herd immunity and can be established for a given season if enough people take the vaccine. Sorry you are having such a problem understanding that concept.
So you agree that any potential immunity is temporary. That is what you were arguing with me about after all. My understanding is just fine. Thanks for your concern.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:08 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,023,263 times
I'm 48; born overseas in a military family & came to the US in 1971.

NO flu vaccine. Parents? NO flu vaccine. Sister? NO flu vaccine.

My immunization status was actually followed very closely prior to coming to the US as I didn't respond to the Measels immunization.

I had to be vaccinated 3 TIMES before my titer was acceptable for entry into the US so I'm pretty sure I didn't just "fall through the cracks"; they were watching me pretty close.

If the US was slinging flu shots around during the early 70's, for military or for citizens abroad you would think I would be seeing it on my documents. But I'm not.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:15 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
My point is that the medical community has greatly contributed to the death toll in healthy children after years of overprescribing anti-biotics creating antibiotic resistant staph infections. Sometimes interfering in the natural process leads to unintended negative side effects. Could our interference in trying to eradicate certain strains of the flu lead to more serious mutations and more serious strains? It's possible.

So you agree that any potential immunity is temporary. That is what you were arguing with me about after all. My understanding is just fine. Thanks for your concern.
What's your evidence for the bold? It is possible to die of the 'natural process'. Frankly, I've seen very little evidence of over-prescription of ABs in pediatrics or in the family practice docs my husband and I use.

No one is trying to eradicate any strains of flu. As I said, it's probably not possible. There's no scientific evidence that there are more "serious" mutations and strains.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'm 48; born overseas in a military family & came to the US in 1971.

NO flu vaccine. Parents? NO flu vaccine. Sister? NO flu vaccine.

My immunization status was actually followed very closely prior to coming to the US as I didn't respond to the Measels immunization.

I had to be vaccinated 3 TIMES before my titer was acceptable for entry into the US so I'm pretty sure I didn't just "fall through the cracks"; they were watching me pretty close.

If the US was slinging flu shots around during the early 70's, for military or for citizens abroad you would think I would be seeing it on my documents. But I'm not.
Isn't it generally just for the military personnel? Not exactly rock solid evidence there. My experience as a flu shot provider goes back to the mid-70s.

ETA: It's hard to find historical data on the internet, but I did find an article that states that flu shots for the elderly and people with certain health conditions were first recommended in 1960.
http://www.npr.org/2011/10/28/141800...-effectiveness
Note: this article gives a lot of pros and cons and is five years old; I just posted it for the date.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-11-2016 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Add dated article

Old 09-11-2016, 01:51 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,573,832 times
My teen grandkids both take grape seed extract and have been for a couple yrs.

This antioxidant keeps and builds the immune system strong and healthy.

Personally, I have not taken a flu vax in over 25 yrs...thank you grape seed extract for keeping my Immune System strong.

SO MANY have no idea about this incredible antioxidant.

I wouldn't put that "shot" in my body for $$$..

If one starts to feel a flu might be coming here is where to start, I've kept this homeopathic around for many years.

http://www.oscillo.com/about/facts-about-oscillo/

Old 09-11-2016, 01:52 PM

36,969 posts, read 40,935,301 times
Quote:
No one will fund it so I'll take the 60 person study will have to suffice. Vitamin D also shows promise in combatting flu.
We know now that many people are vitamin D deficient. Getting an adequate amount is a good idea for everyone. Is there any reason to not make sure you get enough vitamin D and also take the vaccine? Sort of a belt and suspenders approach?

What do you perceive the risks of flu vaccine to be that are so overwhelming that you think the vaccine is more dangerous than getting the flu?

Old 09-11-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What's your evidence for the bold? It is possible to die of the 'natural process'. Frankly, I've seen very little evidence of over-prescription of ABs in pediatrics or in the family practice docs my husband and I use.
What do you know about MRSA and antibiotic resistant staph infections? Drawing on that knowledge and reading the article will help you understand what I'm saying.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:15 PM

36,969 posts, read 40,935,301 times
Quote:
What do you know about MRSA and antibiotic resistant staph infections? Drawing on that knowledge and reading the article will help you understand what I'm saying.
Antibiotic resistant infections are indeed a problem. That is why it is important to vaccinate against influenza, so that one will not get a superimposed secondary bacterial infection which may be with a resistant organism. It's not the flu that is causing the resistance. Also, the fewer people who need antibiotics for anything the better as far as resistance to them is concerned.

I do not think the article says what you appear to think it does. It shows that preventing flu is better than treating it.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
The article does not at all support what you're saying. It says kids should get flu shots, and that only 6% of the deaths, fewer even than what I, who has been called a "rabid pro-vaxer", posted were in fully-vaccinated children.

You added an editorial about overuse of antibiotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting